aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Tell me about it :\

I do believe that certain elements of Aberdeen believe themselves to be money collectors rather than promoters, though. It wouldn't be so bad if they got the promotional material made and just got the bands to hand it out, but to expect bands to do it all just reeks of blatant exploitation to me.

Who knows who knows the bands (an awkward sentencs but it makes sense)? The bands themselves, that's who. Who knows who to target the advertsing to? The bands. Who's going to go and see a band they haven't heard of, playing with some other bands they haven't heard of, regardless of the amount of flyers/posters that are brought to their attention? No one, except the small amount of live music junkies (I'm looking at you Biz).

The bands themselves, in their hometown, need to make much more of an effort to promote themselves, mailing lists at gigs, websites like this, the Granite city Guide etc, even just telling their friends (I've heard the line "we didn't bother telling anyone about this gig" so often it makes me want to strangle people, why the fuck are you playing the gig then?), all of which are free, and take up very little time.

There are very few gigs listed in the GCGuide that have been put there by bands(without me hounding them), there are very few band profiles/links that have been put there by bands, so maybe bands should get their own house in order before we go blaming promoters for poor attendances and under-promotion.

I agree with ian.

Bands should be prepared and its their responsibility to promote themselves.

Not soley as the venue should have advertising and relevant promotion also but its in the bands interets to promote themselves in any way they can.Simple really, if its busier they play to more people, get paid better and both the venue and band can be happy.

We played in a venue in London.The 333.Bit of a shithole but was a spare day of a week of gigs so better playing than not.The contract stipulated that once they had collected their costs for advertising/ venue hire and sound man etc. The bands would be paid on the basis of how many people they brought in and the money split from the door.Fair Enough.

On a Tuesday night, four band bill at 4/5 to get in,the little kicks brought between 30 and 40 people down (pretty good for being from up here and the other bands from nearer town brought less) and were offered the payment of a 1. Not only did we watch the promoter walk in and put the gig posters up at soundcheck that day, when we left (understandably pissed off) the crowd came with us , leaving it empty so we were the only ones to bring folk down after all!

Although obviously its easier to promote something up here compared to the massiveness of london town...

I think we honestly have it fairly lucky up here, there arent many venues who dont try and promote their venues and most owners (particularly eric at drummonds and tunnels) are always very fair when it comes to payment for gigs.

Especially if they see you ve made an effort to promote it.

Guest Mr Blastcap
I think we should all just fuck off to Glasgow!

damn! scuppered!

over the last couple of weeks i have been tunneling under aberdeen creating a large cavernous area, its hard work but well worth the time. soon aberdeen will be mobile and free to roam Britain, and with long legs across the seas of the world as well! ha! ha! ha!

ha! oh christ!

i got up early, way to early........

• Upvote 2

damn! scuppered!

over the last couple of weeks i have been tunneling under aberdeen creating a large cavernous area, its hard work but well worth the time. soon aberdeen will be mobile and free to roam Britain, and with long legs across the seas of the world as well! ha! ha! ha!

ha! oh christ!

if only that were true, we could roam the 7 seas like a giant miserable moany granite spider spreading dourness across the world and like the littlest hobo never quite settling down and always believing that just down the road is where we want to be. *sigh*

damn! scuppered!

ha! oh christ!

You've created a large cavernous area?! Goddamn lets make a new venue whilst we tour the waters! Could this area be the 'mid sized venue' that the council did a consultaion study on to see if Aberdeen needed one a wee while back?! Could it hold 500 people?!

I'm up for a big cave venue *thinks of scene from the Matrix film* Hmmmmmmmmm

if only that were true, we could roam the 7 seas like a giant miserable moany granite spider spreading dourness across the world and like the littlest hobo never quite settling down and always believing that just down the road is where we want to be. *sigh*

Brilliant...

Somedays there is alot to be said for leaving this town behind.

Guest Mr Blastcap
You've created a large cavernous area?! Goddamn lets make a new venue whilst we tour the waters! Could this area be the 'mid sized venue' that the council did a consultaion study on to see if Aberdeen needed one a wee while back?! Could it hold 500 people?!

I'm up for a big cave venue *thinks of scene from the Matrix film* Hmmmmmmmmm

can i have a grant then? 10 grand should do it.....i'll phone the council.....

i want to put battlements around the edge you see and thats expensive.

alan cynic wont have to get his flat fixed if the "mobile Aberdeen" goes ahead, we'll all be somewhere hot.

Lordy.

imagine mobile Aberdeen touring the out back of Oz spilling shirtless scummy types as it trundles along...........

can i have a grant then? 10 grand should do it.....i'll phone the council.....

i want to put battlements around the edge you see and thats expensive.

alan cynic wont have to get his flat fixed if the "mobile Aberdeen" goes ahead, we'll all be somewhere hot.

Lordy.

imagine mobile Aberdeen touring the out back of Oz spilling shirtless scummy types as it trundles along...........

Best ask the grant gods. I can help you with your application if you want, see below.

'Executive Summary'

Application for appropriate funding to initiate then sustain the removing and subsequent travelling of Aberdeen from the uk to somewhere closer to a music industry, or warm! This proposal falls within Aberdeen City's Cultural Strategy agenda 05-08 (if we go somewhere interesting things should take care of themsleves)

Ok, here goes, im either going to get ignored as usual or jumped on, but frankly I dont care any more. I think there are plenty of decent bands in aberdeen, Copy Haho, The Holy Folks, Kenetic, Stanley, Rescue Party, Kitchen Cynics, Edgar Prais and Hookers Green to name but a few.

I'm not from Aberdeen, but I love music and thats what got me into Djing which eventually got me into promoting. But it seems to me that there is just one giant chip on the shoulder of this town. But it has a fucking brilliant music scene, considering the size of the place, there are plenty of decent venues and shitloads of bands. Admittedly there are a lot of absolute shite but there are decent bands in equal measure, and quite frankly this continual "oh theres no decent bands" pish which bounded around these forums on a regular basis are starting to really piss me off.

Aberdeen is a small city, it is miles away from the "hub" of the central belt but still I am constantly amazed with the new, inventive and exciting bands which are based here. As for Promotion, i dont get this anti-promoter feel which I have seen, all promoters do is provide a new and interesting slant on the whole idea of viewing and listening to music. With Underflow, what Callum and I are doing is trying to introduce bands which are big in other places to aberdeen audiences and hope the effect works both ways in giving people the chance to see bands they dont usually see and allow the bands to experience an Aberdeen audience and local line ups which will hopefully allow the local bands to be talked about once the touring bands go home.

There is a thriving music scene up here, being held back by its own attetude, stop moaning about how you think things are shit up here and take an interest.

• Upvote 1

Guest bluesxman
alt.rock tm are recording demos this weekend. to most of you, this will mean nothing.

but they'd certainly be described as 'different' live.

Are they doing more tunes in the vein of that one on the last Fudge CD? Because it was mighty good.

alt.rock tm are recording demos this weekend. to most of you, this will mean nothing.

but they'd certainly be described as 'different' live.

That was an ace gig.

I remember sitting in the fudge flat and I found a bit of paper. After reading it I asked Martin why he was translating Deftones lyrics into french. If only I knew then the horrors that were to unfold...

Spiderman masks, sledgehammers and oil drums. Hope they'll play live again.

Ok, here goes, im either going to get ignored as usual or jumped on, but frankly I dont care any more. I think there are plenty of decent bands in aberdeen, Copy Haho, The Holy Folks, Kenetic, Stanley, Rescue Party, Kitchen Cynics, Edgar Prais and Hookers Green to name but a few.

I'm not from Aberdeen, but I love music and thats what got me into Djing which eventually got me into promoting. But it seems to me that there is just one giant chip on the shoulder of this town. But it has a fucking brilliant music scene, considering the size of the place, there are plenty of decent venues and shitloads of bands. Admittedly there are a lot of absolute shite but there are decent bands in equal measure, and quite frankly this continual "oh theres no decent bands" pish which bounded around these forums on a regular basis are starting to really piss me off.

Aberdeen is a small city, it is miles away from the "hub" of the central belt but still I am constantly amazed with the new, inventive and exciting bands which are based here. As for Promotion, i dont get this anti-promoter feel which I have seen, all promoters do is provide a new and interesting slant on the whole idea of viewing and listening to music. With Underflow, what Callum and I are doing is trying to introduce bands which are big in other places to aberdeen audiences and hope the effect works both ways in giving people the chance to see bands they dont usually see and allow the bands to experience an Aberdeen audience and local line ups which will hopefully allow the local bands to be talked about once the touring bands go home.

There is a thriving music scene up here, being held back by its own attetude, stop moaning about how you think things are shit up here and take an interest.

100% agreed.

Quite tangentially We're in the running for the music show on BBC Scotland, and I think its a vote-tastic thing, so please do, for us, for the deen, for liberte, fraternite, egalite.

www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/musicshow

PS pies in glasgow are fuckin shite, Thains, Aitkens et al c'mon take on the evil Greggsbasts