aberdeen-music

DRAKES is actually 6 YEARS OLD.......

Dizzy Storm

Guest highroller

yes we did Bob and the awesome dos dedos opened for us....it was great...it was rammed to see what quik were like as opposed to quikblow and i think everyone got a BIG shock...i was happy that night!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember when i started working in drakes - yes, a couple of nights a week for some extra cash is how it all started...- i didn't have a clue about bands....i sorta came from a different musical background...

i couldn't understand what all that (what i thought was) 'out of tune' guitars were about when Hookers Green played..?!..but i liked their fairy lights...

and i remember going to my first Fudge Frenzy gig with Dave Dixon on a wednesday night at Triple Kirks when we finished work....and i thought everyone there just looked bored, standing in a sort of semi circle watching the band!! thought that was a bit wierd!

and the first time i worked the jazz night i could not stand it!! just sounded like a lot of screeching!!

oh, and Sidca!! didn't know what that was all about but i loved them!! that song about Whitewater or something....still remember it!

oh how i've learned - and been sucked in by it all!!!

wouldn't have it any other way!

sharon

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

yes we did Bob and the awesome dos dedos opened for us....it was great...it was rammed to see what quik were like as opposed to quikblow and i think everyone got a BIG shock...i was happy that night!

Fuck me, that's bringing back memories....

I *think* Point played the following dates at Drakes in 2001, but I can't remember much about any of them.

6th of May 2001 @ Drakes Dungeon Bar (2nd ever gig)

4th July 2001 @ Drakes Bar (I remember we attempted to play the star spangled banner)

31st August 2001 @ Drakes

21st September 2001 @ Drakes

8th October 2001 @ Drakes (Fudge gig with Maple?)

God only knows... and there was that gig on Ryan's birthday. He got so wrecked he wasn't even playing the same songs as the rest of the band. Professional outfit that we were.

I feel like a nipper...

My first experience of Drakes was the new Drakes... ah yes... a 10 Easy Wishes gig... I dug the red chairs and sipped upon my coke like the good little lass that I was.

And my birthday party... which I sort of remember... I was so drunk, and it was Ca$ino's birthday too... what a merry night that was.

My first gig was also in Drakes, not so long ago...

Infact I like Drakes so much... that I now like about 2 minutes walk away... that of course is the reason I moved into my flat, because when I'm just sitting down to my cheap noodles and Oddbins wine... I can almost hear the twang of a soundcheck...

Ah Drakes...

Sadly I only ever made it to one gig at the old Drakes which was a DJ night but it was still quite pleasing. Can't remember exactly what kind of music was played but it was definitely a pleasant mish mash of styles. Wish I'd seen more bands there like some of the 'old timers' on here :p

Originally posted by DR DRAKE:

i remember when i started working in drakes - yes, a couple of nights a week for some extra cash is how it all started...- i didn't have a clue about bands....i sorta came from a different musical background...

i couldn't understand what all that (what i thought was) 'out of tune' guitars were about when Hookers Green played..?!..but i liked their fairy lights...

and i remember going to my first Fudge Frenzy gig with Dave Dixon on a wednesday night at Triple Kirks when we finished work....and i thought everyone there just looked bored, standing in a sort of semi circle watching the band!! thought that was a bit wierd!

and the first time i worked the jazz night i could not stand it!! just sounded like a lot of screeching!!

oh, and Sidca!! didn't know what that was all about but i loved them!! that song about Whitewater or something....still remember it!

oh how i've learned - and been sucked in by it all!!!

wouldn't have it any other way!

sharon

Sidca are totally underrated IMHO! If I was to label them it would be "drunkcore"! I would kill for Spike and Sidca do a mini tour although I reckon we would all get so pished we would get no further than Tarves

was that the same gig that you ripped your silver pvc trousers right down the arse chris?!

The PVC trouser-ripping / arse-displaying incident was back in my psychoagogo "manager" days, and I was taking photos that night. It certainly set an arse-precedent: I thnk it prompted DJ Tony (remember him?!!) to take down his trousers and show everyone his arse tattoo AGAIN. And once Chris's arse-crack had had that taste of publicity, it seemed to creep out more and more often during gigs... X-( :puke: 8o

That night was also the Duckman's first majestic appearance. And some pretentious Australian dick was in filming everything, I seem to recall.

I think my first Drakes experience was when Small Enclosed Area played the Lemon Tree (with Purple Munkie, Josephine and Festr i think) and the after show party was going to be at Estaminet, but no-one had told Estaminet or something, so it was re-routed to Drakes. Me Marshall + Toonish were all very hammered, have very vague memories of Al Nero playing Monkey Song, some girl with a very loud voice singing Metallica while Martin played acoustic guitar.

Went to the fairground while we were still pissed a few hours later, Toonish was sick on one of the rides!

S.A.M., I had forgotten about the Australian pretentio-fool. But I could never forget Duckman, or the way you creepily edited that photo to make it look like I had my arm around him.

Do you still have those photos? More should be included in this thread so that those who were not there can see for themselves, and those who were can remember more clearly.

Sam + manager = unique period x :band:

Guest Mr Blastcap

i remember many things about the old drakes, mainly the guy martin who ran it was really cool and gave us gigs even though we didnt bother to rehearse anything. i remember seeing the familiar a few times and eric euan too. i remember a new years party with some band with a singer in a white shellsuit- he was a dick! i remember being told off for humming some INXS song at the bar in the wrong key and laughing at the barman who said it! mostly i remember it being easyer to get a gig than lava or whatever. my fave band was killswitch- they were simply great.

i also think thats where my alergy to maple comes from, we were through in the little bar and they were in the other bit and even from that distance i felt sick! jjjjjeeeeeepers!

The appeal of Drakes was one of the main reasons I moved up to Aberdeen. (cheers drakes) I remember coming back up from Manchester for a holiday around christmas time and stumbling upon an Oi Polloi gig at the castlegate, and I fucking loved Oi Pollio!! I remember thinking that this was the kind of place Id hoped to find in Manchester and it had been up in Aberdeen all along, I just hadn't realised! I can remember the singer Ruaraidh was on ace form giving a big rant about Nestle drilling monkey's teeth and then throwing a wee Dairy Milk or something on the floor for everyone to stamp on, and show their disgust! Class. Pretty sure he set off the fire alarm that night too!?

Yeah man ,it's Biz again,I went to virtually every gig and still do unless I'm at The Lemon tree,Drummonds,Kef,Malt Mill,The Globe,Blue Lamp,Henry Js,Moshulu,The Music Hall,The Union,Pelican,Triple Kirks,some of the Irish bars,reluctantly The Exhibition Centre (it fuc*en sucks),The Beach Ballroom,by the way The Beta Band are playing there soon),and all the other events in parks,like Darius Danesh and all the pre pubescent kiddie pop ,and whatever else happens to be on,having done this for 23 years ,and smoked and drank like a fuc*ker through the LOT,I reckon the grim reaper is bound to show his face sooner rather than later,but know what?,I have had an EXCELLENT time,largely due to promoters like Duncan Hendry,Sharon Drakes,Andy Shearer,Paul Kef,and Hen Drummonds.I cannot begin to say how much I appreciate the effort that has been put into the Aberdeen music scene,wherever I am in the world I am always itching to get back here,THANKS EVERYONE it's been fantastic,Bill AKA Biz.

by the way XS RELOCAT are playing Dr Drakes on Monday the 26 ,(THAT'S IN TWO WEEKS), APRIL,just for once,GO OUT ON A MONDAY NIGHT,it probably will not kill you,but it probably will me,the way I play the drums.

That was our second ever gig.

I just realised while thinking about this that our first gig was supporting Subsistence at ye Olde Drakes (exactly a week prior to the quik gig). And our final gig was with Subsistence at the new drakes. Funny how things work out...

That was an awesome night!!

That was like the clash of the titans style gig where us and liber8 did a co-headline thing and me and kris decided we wanted the best upcoming band on the scene so we got TEW...all the bands that nite played AWESOME!!!

Happy days before all the nastiness started....

That was the first time i seen you guys, Kris scared the hell out of me, I remeber waiting outside and he slammed his car door on his geetar and swore lots, then he jumped round the stage all crazily and fell of into a mic :D

• 2 weeks later...

Eradicate (reunion tour of castlegate) played their with liber 8 to about 3 folk..we also played with Tar to a couple more folk which was pretty good, but metal prevailed at that time (this was before punk got big again due to blink 182 et al)..I played there almost all the time with Collateral Damage....funnily enough some people liked it....Definite Choice have exclusively only ever played in drakes..sometimes to 3 peopl...Ruptured Spleen's first gig was there with a european/london based indie/emo/jangly/rocky type band back in 99...their drummer loved us as we did a cover of EMF's unbelievable (still got the live tape, and someone shorts "you certainly are"...cheeky caants)...first gig I saw there was Karloff probably in their 1st incarnation, it was jam packed....I'd have been 16....that'd been 1998 maybe.....was best pub for getting totally hammered in under age :D cheers....Oi Polloi always put on a good show....a german punk band (not the shitty one that played with familiar) got one of the best nights ever going there...crowd just went fucking nuts, more stage divers on stage than band at one point...what was there name...singer wore ace cheapo shades......best night was probably me singing for Scatha....had been joking to them I would do, but was way too pissed, although got shouted up to come sing and just went nuts.....fucking ravenous applause.....pissed off Phobia never got their ass in gear on their tour to play Aberdeen as they were supposed to, and that would have fucking rocked...like Oi Polloi meets Napalm Death....hardly ever at the new drakes these days...it ain;t the same...I loved the lounge, I love the easily accessible toilets, I loved the corridor, I loved the little hide behind the pillar bit .... I'm all up for drakes moving back to castlegate!!!!!! :dunce:

I occasionally staggered in drunk, without a clue as to who was playing. I remember a few open-mikes, plus a three-piece ("2female 1 male) doing quietly weird stuff I liked, an old guy (pot calling kettle black) doing a disco in the back room, and a great early Downroads gig which I bootlegged onto minidisc for Mike........I felt too old to be comfortable then, but now, years later I don't worry about my advancing years....the new Drakes is home. When I'm dead and gone and you lot out there are all pensioners Drakes will be regarded with the same awe as the original Cavern.

i know we're celebrating our 2nd birthday *at these premises* but we are actually 6 years old if you take the old premises at the Castlegate into account...... 8o

would anyone like to share any memories of the past 6 years? an old band you played in? a particular gig that blew you away? fond memories of any staff old or new?! any funny stories?....if you're old enough to remember!!

this should be interesting.....

in the old drakes

seeing the bass player from king voodoo standing on his bass and playing has stuck with me:laughing:

The old guy doing the disco was Probably "Anyone fancy a bit of Sabbath?"Tony,Gav also did great reggae discos...much missed.Martin Bell was the guy who booked the bands and Steve Donaldson on Bass and me on drums did loads of gigs as The Visitors.