aberdeen-music

DRAKES is actually 6 YEARS OLD.......

Dizzy Storm

i know we're celebrating our 2nd birthday *at these premises* but we are actually 6 years old if you take the old premises at the Castlegate into account...... 8o

would anyone like to share any memories of the past 6 years? an old band you played in? a particular gig that blew you away? fond memories of any staff old or new?! any funny stories?....if you're old enough to remember!!

this should be interesting.....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

I recall going to a gig at the Castlegate (Ikhan I think it was) in around 1999/2000 and there wasn't enough room for everyone to sit on the seats/stand, so me and a few others ended up sitting on the edge of the stage while the band played behind us.

Genius.

Guest highroller

i remember an all day affair at the old one...it was at xmas a few years ago and the Aubl put it on!!

I was djing for half the time and the fudge guys were the other half....

I ended up doing 8 hour and teh fudge guys 1 hour!!!!

8 fucking hours!!!

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Stephen:

was at it.

liber8 did some awesome performances in their.

still best performance saw in their was neor at aubl weekender.

rockin :up:

That was an awesome night!!

That was like the clash of the titans style gig where us and liber8 did a co-headline thing and me and kris decided we wanted the best upcoming band on the scene so we got TEW...all the bands that nite played AWESOME!!!

Happy days before all the nastiness started....

Some of the gigs i saw at the old drakes:

Zemezluc/Dangerfields

Out Cold/In Decades Decline/We Become Less

Assert/Bodies/Ruptured Spleen

Disorder/Dangerfields

Path Of Destruction/Social Insecurity

Oi Polloi/Liber 8

Quik/Sirius/Bad karma

Ruptured Spleen as part of an aubl allday event.

A few open mic nights.

Think thats about it,

Dave

Originally posted by bifta23:

The Fastard gigs were always entertaining...

That US female group Harem Scarem were tremendous too.

The bizarre thing was going through to the lounge between sets with the couches with the dub & reggae on the go.

Harem Scarem were ace! yeah they played on our 2nd birthday at *that* premises....that was a really good night - got pictures somewhere...

in fact i have loads of photos of those days - mostly of bands - remember they were stuck up around the bar area? funny looking back on them! nice early Liber8 ones....!

oh yeah!! was that because there was some music festival on in aberdeen or something?...like the International Youth Festival...or maybe they were from a show at HMT or something....vague memories...

i went to see Saturday Night Fever at HMT last year and some of the cast turned up at an Open Mic the night after at dr drakes and one of them got up and did a few tunes....then he asked us at the end of the night if we knew where he could get any grass....!!!