aberdeen-music

Musical Tastes

Brymon

Im really wanna know what people on this site look for in music.

I personnaly like anything, mainly metal. Although anything with a good tune, singing, growling, shouting, screaming, rapping, speaking.

Im not like one of these people that say they like all types of music when they really mean all popular stuff.

Ive all types of shit in my collection!

So please help me out and let me know!

Cheers.

P.S if a similar thread has been done before im sorry, i did nae ken!!!

I'm fairly unrestrained and uninfluenced by magazines, websites, other people; lacking commitment to one specified 'genre' - a concept that often consists of a glue that binds genre and follower into a system of approval, elitism and subsequent limitation.

Generally when I'm 'looking' for music these days its usually something that will be some sort of advancement on my musical thought, if you like, and that is governed by whatever I may be listening to at that time, if you get me.

I also think I can define quite accurately what I do and don't like, purely because I understand the concept of 'like' and 'appreciate' - something that possibly defines, in some way, what listening to music as a musician is; you can't realistically expect musically un-educated people to have a very objective view.

i like to thik ive got a fairly open mind when it comes to listening to music whether i like it or not.

mostly i listen to progressive rock, some harder rock and metal as well such as steve vai, yngwie malmsteen dream theater etc.

also found myself listening to quite a bit of jazz and classical music lately

im really into indie music and like to pick up bands quite quick, like going to gigs when bands are really small, there always the best. People get the idea that ill listen to whatever nme says are good which is bullshit, theres a difference between liking bands that nme write about and liking bands coz nme write about them

I just like a good tune, man!

Well there is that, but I usually know instantly what I like, whether it be dirty rock n roll or whatever. There's a definite SOUND that I like, or a groove, it's hard to pinpoint. If I could think of one tune at the moment that gets me everytime, it's 'Taste' by Ride, ironically, given the subject of the thread! That's my taste. Well, a taster of my taste anyway! 8)

anything that makes me wanna get up and dance or get down and fuck mostly. i also like music that makes my arms twitch furiously as if playing air guitar.

i also love really pretty music that strikes a chord with whatever emotion i'm feeling at the time to a point where that song is all i can listen to. at this very moment such songs are Deville by Fight Paris and Time To Waste by Alkaline Trio.

Generally Im into stuff with an "over the top" production, music which pushes the boundaries regarding what is going on in a song. Lyrics actually dont mean much to me to be honest (as long as they arent cheesy).

Im always on the look out for songs that wont get out of my head for days.

I like music which for me finds the right balance between emotion and intellect. I don't like music to be clever or smart but utimately heartless, but on the other hand i don't like music which is overly earnest and lacking in self-awareness. If i was to find examples of genres which most closely fit those two dislikes of mine it would be "math-rock" for the former and emo for the latter, but i don't rule out liking something purely because of it's genre. Obviously there are genres which fit my taste more than others but what i like about music can't be described in terms of vocals style, guitar tone, song length etc.

Generally, I like happy songs with a good melody, and it helps if the lyrics are well thought out as well.

I don't really see the point of thrash/grind/xxxxxxxcore music, or whatever, because...it doesn't really have much of a tune. It's just usually some unattractive man screaming something you can't even make out anyway.

Lynched.

Generally' date=' I like happy songs with a good melody, and it helps if the lyrics are well thought out as well.

I don't really see the point of thrash/grind/xxxxxxxcore music, or whatever, because...it doesn't really have much of a tune. It's just usually some unattractive man screaming something you can't even make out anyway.

Lynched.[/quote']

Music with substance then? :popcorn:

Nae having a go but going from what you said you're saying it has to be attractive people in a band?

Aberdeen scene explained in under one sentence

Music with substance then? :popcorn:

Nae having a go but going from what you said you're saying it has to be attractive people in a band?

Aberdeen scene explained in under one sentence

No, Connie obviously means music with strong melodies plus lyrics which are intelligible and well written.

Let her speak for herself please . .

Why ask the question when its obvios what was meant?

I'm guessing you're just being a smart arse because Connie's had a go at your kinda music. :gringo:

Why ask the question when its obvios what was meant?

I'm guessing you're just being a smart arse because Connie's had a go at your kinda music. :gringo:

:up: Hole In One :up:

Always the weak minded folk who all extreme metal bands are all full of long haired / smelly / unintelligible obese men.

Just take a wee minute out of your busy schedule to feast your eyes over the likes of Opeth , Acid Bath , Crowbar.

Alot more melody and emotion than your weekly nme flavour of the weak.

oppinions arseholes yaddy yaddy yadda ..........

*STICK TO THE TOPIC*

Always the weak minded folk who all extreme metal bands are all full of long haired / smelly / unintelligible obese men.

Just take a wee minute out of your busy schedule to feast your eyes over the likes of Opeth ' date=' Acid Bath , Crowbar.

Alot more melody and emotion than your weekly nme flavour of the weak.[/quote']

"Weak minded"?!!? Somebody is "weak minded" just because they have misconceptions about extreme metal?

Just take a wee minute out of your busy schedule to feast your eyes over the likes of Opeth ' date=' Acid Bath , Crowbar.

Alot more melody and emotion than your weekly nme flavour of the weak.[/quote']

I dont care for extreme metal nor NME's flavour of the week.