aberdeen-music

Master Of Puppets album to be covered...

HateEvent

From the MetClub website:

Eight of rock's hottest bands have contributed to a special re-recording of Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" in celebration of the twentieth anniversary of the classic album's release and the 25th anniversary of the magazine Kerrang! The CD will be given away free with Kerrang! issue 1102, which goes on sale April 5. Magazines with the special CD will be available in the usual spots outside of the UK- at your favorite record store or book store if they normally import Kerrang!

"Remastered" features exclusive recordings by Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, Fightstar, Machine Head, Funeral For A Friend, Chimaira, Mastodon and Mendeed, with the sleeve notes for the album written by none other than Lars Ulrich. "It's awesome to think that some of you guys weren't even born when we recorded "Master Of Puppets"!", laughed Lars. "When we started thinking about Kerrang! honoring "Master Of Puppets" with this tribute album, and saw the artwork and the line-up of bands we realized it was a big deal. We're honored that it's a record that's perceived as a milestone and a record that's been so inspiring to so many people, both fans and young bands like Trivium and Bullet For My Valentine. We're as excited to hear this as you guys are!"

For more information visit www.kerrang.com

Tracklist:

Machine Head - "Battery"

Trivium - "Master Of Puppets"

Mendeed - "The Thing That Should Not Be"

Bullet For My Valentine - "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"

Chimaira - "Disposable Heroes"

Fightstar - "Leper Messiah"

Mastodon - "Orion"

Funeral For A Friend - "Damage, Inc."

I'm looking forward to Machine Head - Battery more than anything else.

Should be interesting...

Trivium and Fightstar? Surely this is a piss-take.

Regardless of whether you like or hate trivium, there's no denying how much metallica influenced them, and they could definitely match metallica's musicianship. i think they will definitely do the song 'justice' (ho ho)

Fightstar on the other hand... put it this way, I know for a FACT they don't play all of leper messiah themselves... ;)

Anyway this has all been done before, by the mighty Dream Theater, who covered the entire master of puppets album in a single set. Legends. Should be an interesting listen nevertheless.

Tracklist:

Machine Head - "Battery" Awesome

Trivium - "Master Of Puppets"- Press skip on the cd player

Mendeed - "The Thing That Should Not Be" Mendeed? Bad choice for such a heavy tune

Bullet For My Valentine - "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" Does it get worse?

Chimaira - "Disposable Heroes" Ok I suppose

Fightstar - "Leper Messiah" *shudders*

Mastodon - "Orion"- Brilliant choice for that song

Funeral For A Friend - "Damage, Inc." *sniggers*

I'd personally rather listen to the real thing myself.

as bizarre as it is i am interested to hear how funeral for a friend manage damage inc.

On the machine head website they have a video of them rehersing and recording battery pretty boring .... then again it is machine head.

i'll go back to my Kyuss in peace.

to be fair, i reckon you'll get a shock at how good ffaf do damage inc.

man, you metal fans are really awful...the type that never search out new music. you're so fucking close minded...there's more than maiden, metallica, slayer, megadeth, anthrax and pantera...oh yeah sorry, when you feel a bit alternative you might listen to some alice in chains or kyuss!!! WOW!

I love all those bands i just listed (cept kyuss) and grew up on them and have seen most of them at their peak (it pays to be old sometimes) but most of the metal fans that are on this site are clowns! You know if you opened up a little you'd realise there is more bands in Aberdeen alone you'd like other than Black Atom (who i love.)

There is a whole new breed of Metal and guaranteed you'd like some of it! And it makes the older stuff sound more fresh as well.

to be fair' date=' i reckon you'll get a shock at how good ffaf do damage inc.

man, you metal fans are really awful...the type that never search out new music. you're so fucking close minded...there's more than maiden, metallica, slayer, megadeth, anthrax and pantera...oh yeah sorry, when you feel a bit alternative you might listen to some alice in chains or kyuss!!! WOW!

I love all those bands i just listed (cept kyuss) and grew up on them and have seen most of them at their peak (it pays to be old sometimes) but most of the metal fans that are on this site are clowns! You know if you opened up a little you'd realise there is more bands in Aberdeen alone you'd like other than Black Atom (who i love.)

There is a whole new breed of Metal and guaranteed you'd like some of it! And it makes the older stuff sound more fresh as well.[/quote']

i agree with the close mindedness of some metal fans.

although i too am not sure about how ffaf would cope with that song. Metallica have a really diffrent style compared to them. Im not sure if theyd manage it well.

but it should be killer

There is a whole new breed of Metal and guaranteed you'd like some of it! And it makes the older stuff sound more fresh as well.[/quote']

Total rubbish.

I personally don't want to see the likes of Machinehead, Trivium, FFAF etc covering Master of Puppets because I can tell exactly what it will sound like already, and it bores me. If those bands are the whole new breed of Metal you are talking about then I think I'd rather listen to Maiden....and I hate Maiden.

What I want to hear (if someone HAS to cover Master of Puppets) is the whole new breed of actual interesting metal bands out there doing it, bands like Orphaned Land, Agalloch, Pain of Salvation, Anathema, Dan Swano, Blind Guardian, Dark Suns or failing people actually caring about bands like them who are not in Kerrang, why not Opeth, Tool, Cradle of Filth, Strapping Young Lad even Coheed and Cambria etc. I can can guarentee they have all been influenced by Metallica and would all produce Metallica covers that would be worthwhile (modern) interpretations of classic metal songs.

The whole concept and line-up of this album seems formulaic and fucking typical of the crap popular metal scene just now.

Here dude fuck you.

I never stated anything about the f4af version of Damage Inc. being shite ..... i stated i am looking forword to hearing it.

How fucking dare you say i am close minded you know fuck all about me ..... and bwsides Kyuss are fuck shit hot.

Total rubbish.

....or failing people actually caring about bands like them who are not in Kerrang' date=' why not Opeth, Tool, Cradle of Filth, Strapping Young Lad even Coheed and Cambria etc. I can can guarentee they have all been influenced by Metallica and would all produce Metallica covers that would be worthwhile (modern) interpretations of classic metal songs.[/quote']

That'd be pretty sweet actually.

But to be honest, no matter what bands do the covers, some bastard is gonna moan about it.

Decent :gringo:

Some interesting points here.

The bands picked do seem like a "Kerrang bands play Master of Puppets". Not really any risks there (although FFAF could be interesting in a good/bad way)

I do agree with Dayeth that some of the tunes will just be a adding nothing really interesting to the songs...dunno.

If I was in Metallica.... haha

Battery- Machine head

Master of Puppets- Frantic Bleep (who? hehe)

The Thing that should not be- Bury the dead

Sanitarium- Dimmu Borgir

Disposable Heroes- Strapping Young Lad

Leper Messiah- Ulver

Orion- Mastodon (good choice)

Damage Inc- Napalm Death

I do agree about the local metal scene being narrow minded.

Hot Mangu- Splat Metal

Black Atom- Raise the sword

MMW- Metalcore

Esylore- Prog Metal

Strobing Goat- Metal/punk/electronic

Element 106- New stuff like Fear Factory meets Arch Enemy

Statue of Misery- Bluesy/metal/punk (difficult to pinhole)

Butchers of Bakerfield- Arniecore (not metal but worth an honourable mention)

Weeping Jesus- Death Metal with hints of grind

Stayover- Satanic Black Metal

Variety.