aberdeen-music

Reasons for drinking?

Fluffy

Why do you/people drink alcohol in your opinion?

i know this is a bit of a strange question, couldnt sleep last night...

as someone who dosnt really drink or go out to pubs/clubs i am curious as to peoples love of the drink.

do you drink because of social pressures? do you enjoy getting rat arsed? or simply enjoy the taste and experince?

and do you think as a nation we now have an obsession with the stuff? discuss.. :cheers:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I 50% like the taste (you'll rarely catch me drinking a shit pint...)

and 50% NEED it....I am not a sociable person, I am not a fun person, I have nothing to say and have the personality of a wart...I need a drink to enjoy myself.

But I'm going on a big detox for a while as I need to save money and lose weight....the life of a hermit awaits me...

Where do you begin? Alcohol is a wonderful thing. It tastes great it laces a situation with spice, it can unite, can generate friendships, sex, help you through tough times: we have a typical screwed up view of it in Britain: we can't get enough of it but are kind of ashamed of it, just like sex and most other nice things. Its open to abuse, as is chocolate, but its a bloody sight more versatile.

I drink because I love the taste and the effect, and being in a pub and not drinking is at best boring and at worst irritating. Also they have yet to invent a non-alcoholic drink you can drink all evening which doesn't make you feel crap.

What's more in leisure-pleasure situations I don't want to see the world in sharp focus, I want to be in a heightened sense of relaxation and let go.

Drinking's the shizzle nizzle, it brings out the best in most people. I can't stand aggressive drinkers, but don't really run into any of them much. I just spent a few weeks of soberness in town and it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be, alhtough i didn't enjoy myself as much as i normally do because i didn't have the courage to chat people up, dance, or do stupid things like sketch a lift form a milk van.

I 50% like the taste (you'll rarely catch me drinking a shit pint...)

and 50% NEED it....I am not a sociable person' date=' I am not a fun person, I have nothing to say and have the personality of a wart...I need a drink to enjoy myself.

But I'm going on a big detox for a while as I need to save money and lose weight....the life of a hermit awaits me...[/quote']

Same here really. I'm shy by nature, so alcohol helps me talk to strangers or people I barely know etc. But I recently decided I was fed up acting like an arse, speaking utter shite, and although I THOUGHT I had more chance with the laydeez, I can't actually remember the last time I chatted up someone and remembered a thing about them the next day. Which means I'd have to find stuff to talk to them about when sober anyway!

So I no longer get drunk. I've since lost about an inch off the waist, haven't had a wasted "day after", and have spent fuck all money (lucky really since I HAVE fuck all money). Having a tendancy to mouth off instead of running when some twat would try to start a fight was a rather big factor too...

It can take a bit of getting used to like... first few times you go out with folk and you're the only sober one can be shit. And you realise how shit clubs really are - usually when conversation dried up due to the loudness of the music I'd just get more drunk, but now I'm at the point where I'll just go home when everyone leaves the pub to go to a club. Unless it's Moshulu. I've actually had more good nights there sober than I have drunk. It also depends on who you're with - if your mates won't dance, then it's going to be shit.

Anyway, you can do the same stupid stuff sober. In fact, you can be more calculating... MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying that, I will still drink Hoegaarden, Leffe or any other QUALITY beer. I used to think I missed Guinness too, until I was reminded how wucking watered down they usually are.

But I'm not some fucking xXx cunt.

Guest valley69

i drink far too much, not good for the liver/weight. Perhaps i shall give up drinking excessively for a while cos im sick of spendin 40 quid a night. You just cant beat a fine pint though mmm :] ...it was my 21st last nite so im really hungover today.

i have recently been diagnosed as an alcoholic by my doctor, i abused it to try and get away from the bad experiences i have recently been through..

i used to like the taste, but now i couldnt give a fuck, i drink excessive amounts and it used to be on a daily basis..

thank fuck i came home, i'm not sorted out, and enjoy the old tipple if out with friends, but not to the seriously damaging point as before.

Drinking's the shizzle nizzle' date=' it brings out the best in most people. I can't stand aggressive drinkers, but don't really run into any of them much. I just spent a few weeks of soberness in town and it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be, alhtough i didn't enjoy myself as much as i normally do because i didn't have the courage to chat people up, dance, or do stupid things like sketch a lift form a milk van.[/quote']

So you were sober on Saturday? Thats kinda scary!!

I enjoy the taste of the alcohol, only drink beer on ocation need to really be in the mood for it because I dont really think its all that fine. Yummy cocktails and almost any spirit with red bull always tickles my fancy. Just bought a chocolate liqure will update on how it is later. On the other had tho getting totally drunk and doing stupid things is always funny. However Im not one for holding back anyhoo so most will be done sober too. The bruses /scrapes/ hangovers and riped clothes is the negative to it all tho!

I enjoy the taste mainly. That is why I tend to drink cocktails and not pints. I would be quite happy being sober on a night out but getting a wee bit drunk can be a right laugh...that's when the taste gets exchanged for maximum damage i.e. shooters. If I get drunk it is only for fun.

My problem is that I'm so volatile. I can love being at the centre of attention, confident, involving, enthusiastic, but other times, it's the shy/withdrawn side. I suppose the reason I drink is to cloud over the unsociable part- like, meeting new people, developing friendships, all that shit, it takes me a long time to 'open up' properly, alcohol just takes away that inhibition, albeit temporarily. It's like, there's something about getting drunk with your friends- it forms bonds, or seems to in my circle at least. Had some great drunken nights, and some shitty ones too. I don't like the way that it's so dependent on circumstance. So uh, the verdict is probably: good in moderation, but negative in excess, like most things.

Guest MarkJDelaney

Drinking's purely social. I never drink any other time than going out with mates and having a laugh and a bit of drunken fun. And I don't go out drinking that often either - it costs a lot of money. Money I could spend on better things! But you have to every now and then I reckon...

Same here really. I'm shy by nature' date=' so alcohol helps me talk to strangers or people I barely know etc. But I recently decided I was fed up acting like an arse, speaking utter shite, and although I THOUGHT I had more chance with the laydeez, I can't actually remember the last time I chatted up someone and remembered a thing about them the next day. Which means I'd have to find stuff to talk to them about when sober anyway!

So I no longer get drunk. I've since lost about an inch off the waist, haven't had a wasted "day after", and have spent fuck all money (lucky really since I HAVE fuck all money). Having a tendancy to mouth off instead of running when some twat would try to start a fight was a rather big factor too...

It can take a bit of getting used to like... first few times you go out with folk and you're the only sober one can be shit. And you realise how shit clubs really are - usually when conversation dried up due to the loudness of the music I'd just get more drunk[/quote']

yeah, i was gonna post something similar to that

i used to get really wasted like three times a week but now if i'm in a licenced establishment i try to restrict myself from drinking amounts which make me act out of character

Drinking's purely social. I never drink any other time than going out with mates and having a laugh and a bit of drunken fun. And I don't go out drinking that often either - it costs a lot of money. Money I could spend on better things! But you have to every now and then I reckon...

Word...though I was considering getting some vodka and kahlua so I can make white russians at home.