aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

We weren't great early on in the game but once we got the goal (and the second straight after) we were very comfortable and controlled the game.

Dundee had a great result yesterday but you'd have to say we should beat them at home. St. Johnstone away after that is a tougher match and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the game when our winning run ended. However with Celtic not playing we should be able to keep top spot at least into February which is just incredible.

Zero shots on target, at home. Sexy football.

I don't really get what van Gaal's 'philosophy' that he keeps mentioning is really about. He had Rooney, a striker, in midfield; and Di Maria, a midfielder, up front. He's forcing this back 3 plus wingbacks thing to happen, despite not really having any centre backs capable of playing in a back 3, nor having any real wing backs. Herrera and Fellaini are the only real all-round midfielders in the side, and they mostly start from the bench. A central midfield 3 of Carrick, Rooney and Mata just seems so imbalanced, when you've got Blind playing as a makeshift centre back, and two actual midfielders on the bench. So many square pegs in round holes.

United played their best football when they used the 4-4-2 diamond. They won 4 on the bounce with it, and Di Maria was flying, playing in central midfield, screened by Blind and Herrera. You'd think Van Gaal would want to play a system that gets the best out of his best player, but apparently not.

The back 3 has forced some ultra jammy results against Arsenal and Southampton away, and managed to look convincing against a Liverpool side who blazed 5 or 6 clear cut chances right into De Gea's chest. Ditch it.

It's quite odd what's happening at the moment. The team had got to the point when they really looked like they would make a top 3 spot comfortable and then suddenly started losing again. I think LVG needs to get his ego in check, he's making the job much more complicated than it should be. With the attacking talent at his disposal he just has to let players play to their strengths in a sensible system which lets as many do that as possible and they would beat most teams in the league. There have been valid arguments over whether Rooney is best in a no. 9 or no. 10 role but I don't think anyone would want him playing as deep as he has been lately. The contrast with Di Maria's position yesterday just made the idea look even crazier. 

I'm delighted that Southampton have got another win against a top team. They have a decent run of fixtures coming up now and they look like genuine challengers for a Champions League place.

Not much to say about yesterday's other game except Stoke were awful and Sanchez has got to be the player of the season at this point.

I noticed there is a lot of outcry from people as Van Gaal has gained the same amount of points as Moyes after 21 games despite being at different positions in the table (Van Gaal 4th, Moyes 7th)

Is it fair to put criticism on Van Gaal for this or was there a lot more problems with Moyes at the club than just the points? 

Darren Fletcher to leave Man Utd, with West Brom as the likely club to take him? If he is match fit, I would have thought that he could have been at a club challenging for Europe, thoughts?

He's a good player but would struggle in a top half side IMO. West Brom a good fit, probably, and I'm happy to have him alongside James Morrison in their midfield to strengthen that relationship for the national side.

New deal for Ash Taylor. Ryan Jack next pls.

Great news. :up:

A little concerning that the most important extension hasn't happened yet (Jack, obvs), as I would have thought he would have been the first one to have been approached.  Reasonably confident that it'll happen though.