aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

Van Gaal and Robben have said they want the 3rd place playoff to be ditched. I don't know how Brazil feel, but I bet they're not up for a game of football either. It's a largely pointless fixture.

Pointless? Pointless? How else will we know who the best semi final loser is?

Also it would be wrong of FIFA to deny 73,000 people the chance to spend a RIDICULOUS amount of money to experience the magic of the World Cup.

It's a chance for both nations to field some players who made up the squad but didn't get much game time, and a good result will boost their ranking points.

It is also my birthday, so I propose from this moment forward it's called the "Adam Easy Wishes Anniversary Trophy".

Not completely pointless tbf, and I'll be watching it. 

Last night's game literally put me to sleep. I was pretty disappointed when I woke up and found that Krul hadn't been subbed-on for the penalties. LVG out.

There should definitely always be a third-place game, because it gives me another game of football to watch during the summer.

It seems more pointless than usual this time round as both sides playing it were really only interested in 1st. Some times in the past there's been a team or two who find idea of getting third rather than fourth appealing.

In 98 Croatia had achieved beyond anything they expected getting there and Suker wanted the golden boot outright. 2002 had South Korea and Turkey who both again hadn't expected to be there and were happy to play another world cup match.

Right team won I think. Consistently the best team in the tournament and that was a peach of a goal to win.  

Argentina were pretty disappointing.  Created chances but to go 120 minutes without a single shot on target in the biggest game of your life simply isn't good enough.

Can't see a European side not winning it, even with Brazil's home advantage.

Telt ye. I thought Argentina improved immeasurably in the semis and final (missed all the quarters) but Germany were the only team worthy of world champs throughout the tournament (except maybe France, who lost an early set piece goal and were them closed out by Germany).

Best World Cup I can remember, which was nice after the crap of 2006 and 2010. Not that appetising a final though: a fourth win for Germany or a third for Argentina? Exciting. Deserved winners though.

Schweinsteiger was immense in the final.  I also thought Ozil had a really good game, he set up pretty much all Germany's chances but they kept getting absolutely fluffed by whoever took the shot.  Kroos was the number one offender, his deliveries from free kicks/corners were also guff all game.

Messi getting player of the tournament was a bit of an awkward joke.  Even Messi knew it when he was going up.

Kroos looks pretty awful when he's not on the ball as well. Defensively, he was a passenger, and only looks interested when Germany have the ball. If not for the man-mountain Schweinsteiger, Argentina could have torn them apart. Kroos's confirmed he is Madrid-bound now too. Good player, but awfully lazy.

Schweinsteiger was immense in the final.  I also thought Ozil had a really good game, he set up pretty much all Germany's chances but they kept getting absolutely fluffed by whoever took the shot.  Kroos was the number one offender, his deliveries from free kicks/corners were also guff all game.

Messi getting player of the tournament was a bit of an awkward joke.  Even Messi knew it when he was going up.

Schweinsteiger and Boateng were definitely the stand outs. I though Hummels played pretty off pace throughout most of the game and Ozil was the same, but he has had a pretty subdued World Cup. Most of the chances seemed to be coming through Lahm/Muller up the right and Kroos through the middle, Ozil was a non-entity on the left in the first half and when Schurrle came on and he moved central the play seemed to bypass him most of the time. To his credit he did seem like he was a bit more committed and appeared to run a bit more than previous games.

Kroos played ok too, he looked more effective as a central midfielder than as an attacking mid as he's more balanced there in my opinion. He provided a beautiful corner for Howedes header at the end of the first half though and while his shooting was pretty plain in comparison to previous games he and Schweinsteiger bossed that midfield area and dictated a large percentage of the play.

Class tournament. Easily the best in my lifetime (at least since I've been old enough to realise what's going on), and a nice step-up from the vuvuzela nightmare of 2010. 

Glad Germany won. From what I saw, it looked like they were the best team throughout. Italy were shite and undone by weird managerial decisions. Whatever. Highlights of the tournament, for me, were Karagounis trolling the shit out of everyone he played against ("what do you mean I can't go in knee-high, ref?"), that massive bastard grasshopper chilling on James Rodriguez, and seeing SHOLA AMEOBI playing at a World Cup. It's been the best.

The highlight for me was Johnathan Pearce not understanding goal-line technology. He kept bringing it up in other games, as he just flat-out refused to be wrong. He was very wrong though.

Rio Ferdinand also turned out to be a good pundit. He didn't say "merked" or "brrrap" once. Impressive restraint.

Costa Rica were great. Nobody expected them to top the group. It was seen as some kind of "group of death" yet two of the three teams tipped to go through crashed out, at the expense of a team expected to be a 3 point banker. Would have preferred Italy or England to go through ahead of Uruguay though.

Back to reality now though. No football on every night. Grim.