aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

to be fair Brazil looked fine until that first goal and once they conceded they just fell to bits.  

I would taken the experience of Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka, getting on I know but fuck me they couldn't have been any worse!#

Time to change my avatar!

Edited by Delboy1969

There's a woman I work with who is a uefa qualified coach.B licence I think. She has taught a lot of kids and worked with a lot of clubs in England. Today I overheard her saying to someone that Brazil lost because they didn't care enough, had no fight and no heart. 

I din't say anything but to me it's pretty obvious that those things are all some Brazilian players did have. This is only one anecdote but I find it funny / worrying that someone teaching English youngsters can't spot the obvious tactical and organisational causes for the defeat and jumps straight to the conclusion that they needed to fight more.

I may also just be posting this because she annoyed me a bit today and this a way of moaning about her.

Anyway almost game time. I hope this one is still competitive in an hour's time. 

Good game. Both teams look solid off the ball. Argentina look more capable of getting behind the Dutch. Lavezzi is a threat on the right. Holland's possession is good, but they're not really causing a problem with it.

Dirk Kuyt is a machine. I hope he scores the winner, with a deflection off of his horrible face.

Apparently he was the only one who would take the first pen, everyone else bottled it. 

The point though is that he should have got one of his main penalty takers to take the first one.  If Vlaar needed to take one it should have been later - preferably fifth.  Having someone miss the first penalty really set the tone for what followed and put more pressure on the others.  Van Gaal should have got one of Sneijder, Robben, Kuyt or Huntelaar to take the first one and then if Vlaar needed to take one it should have been at the end if necessary.  Holland didn't even need their fifth penalty taker in the previous shoot out.

The point though is that he should have got one of his main penalty takers to take the first one.  If Vlaar needed to take one it should have been later - preferably fifth.  Having someone miss the first penalty really set the tone for what followed and put more pressure on the others.  Van Gaal should have got one of Sneijder, Robben, Kuyt or Huntelaar to take the first one and then if Vlaar needed to take one it should have been at the end if necessary.  Holland didn't even need their fifth penalty taker in the previous shoot out.

Aye, but from what he has said, his big pen takers would not step up to take the first one, he chose Vlar because he played well, and indicated he would take the first pen. You cant force players to step up and take one. 

Aye, but from what he has said, his big pen takers would not step up to take the first one, he chose Vlar because he played well, and indicated he would take the first pen. You cant force players to step up and take one. 

All I've read is that he asked two other players to take the first penalty and they refused, not that these were the 'big four' penalty takers (I guess they were players who weren't wanting to take any penalties).  I can't fathom why any of those would have refused to take the first penalty but were fine taking any of the others.  Was Robben really saying 'I'm fine taking the second penalty but don't make me take the first'?

He probably should have kept Van Persie on for the shootout, even though he was having a bit of a stinker, and shouldn't have even played due to illness apparently. He'd still have dispatched his penalty though. He wouldn't have been too tired from all that walking around that he did.

The players do what the manager says. He should have made a strong taker go first. You have to start strong. Missing the first one is a massive blow.

He probably should have kept Van Persie on for the shootout, even though he was having a bit of a stinker, and shouldn't have even played due to illness apparently. He'd still have dispatched his penalty though. He wouldn't have been too tired from all that walking around that he did.

The players do what the manager says. He should have made a strong taker go first. You have to start strong. Missing the first one is a massive blow.

I agree, though I think maybe he should have started the match with Huntelaar given van Persie's illness (plus that he had both Vlaar and de Jong carrying injuries and Martins Indi is a red card waiting to happen).  It also begs the question of why he has Cillesen in goal in the first place.  Would Krul or Vorm have been so much worse in the match that it's worth taking up a substitute to replace Cillesen when penalties come?  In the end Cillesen was left with a big sign above his head saying 'My manager thinks I'm no good at saving penalties'.  That probably didn't help.

Van Gaal has done well to get the Netherlands to the semi-final but I think he took too many risks with his selection and that was borne out in how the penalties went.  That was a result of poor decisions he made.

I agree, though I think maybe he should have started the match with Huntelaar given van Persie's illness (plus that he had both Vlaar and de Jong carrying injuries and Martins Indi is a red card waiting to happen).  It also begs the question of why he has Cillesen in goal in the first place.  Would Krul or Vorm have been so much worse in the match that it's worth taking up a substitute to replace Cillesen when penalties come?  In the end Cillesen was left with a big sign above his head saying 'My manager thinks I'm no good at saving penalties'.  That probably didn't help.

Van Gaal has done well to get the Netherlands to the semi-final but I think he took too many risks with his selection and that was borne out in how the penalties went.  That was a result of poor decisions he made.

I agree about Cillessen. Krul and Vorm are both good keepers. I'd put Krul just ahead of Vorm, though I don't know much about Cillessen other than he's not first choice at Ajax. They seem to have a jobshare going on between their goalkeepers. I think he's looked a little ropey throughout the tournament.

It's strange to see a penalty shootout hero being dropped for the next game. I thought Krul had earned a starting place. He won them the game. The goalkeepers rarely have pressure going into a shootout, but Cillessen did, because of the previous game, which paid off at the time. He should have gone with Krul again, so he could trashtalk Messi and co.