aberdeen-music

What are you currently listening to?

Now that my man cave has been tidied up a bit I have been able to access my record player and listen to some records I hadn't got to for ages....

Strange Fish box set - 5 volumes of instrumental weirdness, psychedelia, what have you. 4 volumes on vinyl (including a couple of doubles) and one on CD. Aberdeen's own Palace of Swords features on Vol. 3. Nice one. Great packaging too.

New Goblin, 'Tour 2013 EP' - 70's prog band who did loads of soundtracks, especially for Dario Argento, have reformed and been releasing some live stuff. This is a studio reworking of 4 of their best known songs.

John Carpenter & Alan Howarth, 'Halloween II Soundtrack' - Variations on material from the original 'Halloween' soundtrack plus new stuff.

Pelican, 'Ephemeral' - Usual ace heavy instrumental gubbins. Post-metal, is that still a thing?

Also been digging out some older stuff in the car -

The Verve, 'A Storm in Heaven' - It's easy to forget that The Verve at the start had much more in common with the shoegazing scene than their later association with the Britpop world would have you believe. They had 3 great EP's and then this album, all worth revisiting IMO. Saw them supporting Ride at The Capitol when they were just Verve, they were brilliant, Mad Richard very much in evidence. Got loads of kids up on stage, security went apeshit.

Ride, 'Nowhere' - Fucking loved Ride me, this album was on heavy rotation at all times when it came out along with the early EP's. Saw the play The Music Hall round this time, one of my favourite gigs, so good. Things started going a bit downhill for me with 'Going Blank Again', some decent songs on it but the poppier direction didn't appeal so much.