aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Terrible news. BT Sport is awful so far. I get it for free being a BT customer, and even for free, it's horrid. Owen Hargreaves as a pundit is pure car crash. If you thought Wayne Rooney's sentences were a bit of a mess in post-match pressers, just listen to Hargo say something relatively simple. He sounds like a primary school child reading from a sheet of paper, with massive pauses between the words. Pretty sure he was a sympathy hire. Felt a bit sorry for him and his knackered career.

And Steve McManaman. He's amazing. He just shouts at people. If anyone disagrees with him, he just shouts louder. Even if nobody disagrees with him, he just shouts anyway. United vs Palace, he lost his shit over the penalty. BT Sport have ex-ref Mark Hasley in the commentary box to talk about refereeing decisions. The penalty was awarded in the first half. McManaman yelled about it throughout half time whilst constantly interrupting David James to go back to his original point, then midway into the 2nd half, it actually cut back to McManaman in the studio from the LIVE GAME, to shout at Mark Hasley (who agreed with the penalty decision) about how wrong he was. Just incredible. I mean, terrible. Just terrible.

No, it's fine Macca. Let's stop the game, so you can tell us what you said 5 times at half time, again. Guys, just put the ball out of play. Steve fucking McManaman has something to say. He's already said it, but he wants to say it again. Prat.

As shit as he is, that's not a plus to me. There needs to be Champions League on ITV. The world just wont be right without it. Doesn't affect me now but when I lived in Scotland I would have been furious if there was no free to air european matches at all. 

BT's premiership coverage is dire. If they stick Mark Halsey on the champions league games too I think anti-BT terrorism would be the only viable solution. They've got good people for their domestic european coverage though so there is some hope.

I'm off to was Barca B against Real Jaen this afternoon. Don't know why it's taken me so long to think of going to one of these games. Competitive football and depending on the match tickets start from 5 or 9 euros. Just a fiver today. 

Both the sides are down near the bottom of the table at the moment so I'm expecting loads of shite tiki-taka with no penetration. I'm going to spend the whole match shouting at them to lump it upfield, whip it in the box, put in some crunching tackles etc etc

• Upvote 1

Football cliche quiz http://www.theguardian.com/football/football-cliches/quiz/2013/nov/08/football-quiz-cliches?CMP=fb_gu

It's quite good, better than that hipster one.

I got 12 but two of the wrong answers I stand by so I'm giving myself 14.

"You scored 13 out of a possible 15

Very good - you're there or thereabouts"

If you'd offered me that at the start of the quiz I'd have taken your arm off.

My weekly accumulator for today:

Peterborough @ 1.50 
Win-Draw-Win
Peterborough v Exeter

Leyton Orient @ 1.28 
Win-Draw-Win
Leyton Orient v Southport

Gillingham @ 1.44 
Win-Draw-Win
Gillingham v Brackley Town

Brentford @ 1.25 
Win-Draw-Win
Brentford v Staines

Burnley @ 1.70 
Win-Draw-Win
Burnley v Bournemouth

Liverpool @ 1.25 
Win-Draw-Win
Liverpool v Fulham

Chelsea @ 1.30 
Win-Draw-Win
Chelsea v West Brom

As shit as he is, that's not a plus to me. There needs to be Champions League on ITV. The world just wont be right without it. Doesn't affect me now but when I lived in Scotland I would have been furious if there was no free to air european matches at all. 

It'll be weird. It's always been on ITV for as long as I can remember. ITV Yorkshire didn't use to show much of it in the early days, but ITV TyneTees did, for some reason. My crappy portable TV used to be able to pick up a fuzzy TyneTees picture with no sound. Good times.

Andy Townsend and even Clive Tyldsley are better than McManaman, Hargeaves and Owen. Clive gets ridiculous biased sometimes, especially when England play, but I don't see what the beef with Townsend is.

Mourinho almost lost his first league game at the Bridge. Referee bailed him out there. Ramires was going over before contact was even made. He knew what he was doing. Chris Brunt should have finished it off in stoppage time, or at least just kept the ball rather than take a daft shot that he was never going to score.

I've just got BT Sport (actually reminds me the dozy gits have not sent me my viewing card!) I have watched the grand total of a solitary half of conference football between Salisbury and Hereford, didn't think the coverage was too bad.  Cambridge are on next Sat but will be at the game away at Barnet kick off 5-30.

Not seen a prem match on the channel yet, most the games are 12-45 kick offs on a saturday... fancied Spurs v Man Poo thats a 12 o clock sunday kick off.... bugger have arranged to go to London that day... ah midweek games in December can't do Tuesday games as do my radio show that night but there is Swansea v Newcastle on Wed 4 December which will be my first BT Sport live Premier League experience.

Sounds crap though but surely not as crap as ITV1???

I'm off to was Barca B against Real Jaen this afternoon. Don't know why it's taken me so long to think of going to one of these games. Competitive football and depending on the match tickets start from 5 or 9 euros. Just a fiver today. 

Both the sides are down near the bottom of the table at the moment so I'm expecting loads of shite tiki-taka with no penetration. I'm going to spend the whole match shouting at them to lump it upfield, whip it in the box, put in some crunching tackles etc etc

So Barca B lost 3-0. I enjoyed the match though, I miss going to actual games so I think I'll pop along to a few more since I can't really afford to go to camp nou on a regular basis. 

The match kind of went as suspected. All the barca players have a first touch and close control beyond many top players in Britain but there wasn't much else to them. They conceded a couple of goals to very direct attacks in the first half, very clinically finished by the Jaen forwards. Barca improved in the second half after a couple of substitution appeared to make an impact and they became more direct themselves. One of the players infuriated me by constantly doing well to get to the byline but every time dithered long enough for the defenders to group and block the cut back or cross. That same player was sent off in the final moments for taking down a player in the box after a quick counter attack and gave away a penalty which made it 3. 

The most promising player was Sergi Samper who came on in the second half in midfield and made a big difference. Reminded me a bit of Modric but playing slightly deeper.

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Upvote 1

So Barca B lost 3-0. I enjoyed the match though, I miss going to actual games so I think I'll pop along to a few more since I can't really afford to go to camp nou on a regular basis. 

The match kind of went as suspected. All the barca players have a first touch and close control beyond many top players in Britain but there wasn't much else to them. They conceded a couple of goals to very direct attacks in the first half, very clinically finished by the Jaen forwards. Barca improved in the second half after a couple of substitution appeared to make an impact and they became more direct themselves. One of the players infuriated me by constantly doing well to get to the byline but every time dithered long enough for the defenders to group and block the cut back or cross. That same player was sent off in the final moments for taking down a player in the box after a quick counter attack and gave away a penalty which made it 3. 

The most promising player was Sergi Samper who came on in the second half in midfield and made a big difference. Reminded me a bit of Modric but playing slightly deeper.

Very interesting and good post, although it has to be said that going to see Barcelona B must be about the most football hipster thing possible.  I'd probably still do it myself, given half a chance.