aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Which he got trying to diving header thin air before colliding into Figueroa and smashing his shoulder on the ground.

He shouldn't have been picked. He is a bull in a china shop. He needs to majorly chill out. I think he'll be solid once he finds his inner-peace, and realises he doesn't have to smash into everything and everyone.

Fair play to Woy for picking a largely inexperienced squad but would have taken Cole myself, can still cut it on the big stage.  Not expecting great things from England and they'll do well to get out the group stage.  A cagey 0-0 against Italy before Suarez single-handily beats them on his own before a sneaky 1-0 against Costa Rica which probably won't matter.  I think the press will give them a bit of slack as no-one apart from possibly Adrian Durham will be expecting anything.  Would have taken Ruddy (ok a little biased as he used to play for Cambridge!) ahead of either Forster or Foster.  

27 million for Luke Shaw, understandable but crazy money.  That's the way it is for English players which is why a lot of clubs do look elsewhere as they get much better value for money.  I have no doubts Shaw is going to be a world class player though but that price tag puts massive pressure on his shoulders.  Southampton will have money to burn this summer but they need to spend wisely.  Depends if the manager sticks around - another one linked with the Spurs job but who isn't these days... oh David Moyes!

Speaking of whom, absolutely convinced he will be back in the EPL next season at a level more suitable for his managerial talents. Again too much chopping and changing of managers for me but that's the nature of the modern game.  I think it has been a very good season in the EPL, I guess it was too much to expect a really exciting last day of the season but good the title went to the last day.  Think Liverpool might have blown their chance to be champions for a while yet - keeping Suarez is naturally essential and they need to sort out that leaky defence.  City are going to be the ones to beat again but again its hard to call.  Still let's enjoy the world cup before worrying about next season!

I think this World Cup is going to signal a new dawn in English sports journalism. The 'weight of expectation' argument died with the golden generation, then came the 'nothing to lose' attitude of the last tournament where the team did better than expected because nothing was expected. This time around it's gonna go full circle... there will be so much made of the fact the squad is young and noone has any expectations that it will eventually turn into a subtle rising tide of underdogism, climaxing in 'dare to believe' national hysteria. After an impressive Studgy brace in the opening game and a resolute 0-0 in the second, journos will be clamouring about the team's potential. Could they do it?... Is this the new golden generation?... are these youngsters showing the old guard how it's really done?... why didn't we do this last time around?!. Then just when the hype reaches fever pitch a crushing defeat and a strop-ridden red card performance from Wayne Rooney in the quarters is all that's needed to turn the same journos into I-told-you-so, FA questioning, lashback-mongerers.

It's written in the stars. I actually feel sorry for real England fans (the nice kind who just want to see their team do well).

• Upvote 3

Uruguay don't appear nearly as strong as they did at the last world cup or when they won the Copa America. They'll rely a lot on Suarez and Cavani, too much I think.

I think England will draw the opening match against Italy. It looks right for a typical cagey opening match with neither side wanting to lose. Italy starting slow as always. The match against Uruguay will be crucial but I think they are good enough to at least get a a draw if not win it. And if they don't beat Costa Rica then they don't deserve to be there. 

I've had a feeling for a long time now that it could be Argentina. I certainly think Messi is a good bet for golden boot. Their group is quite easy and I can see them scoring a good amount of goals in those matches.

Problem with England is the moment they show any potential then they always find a way of shooting themselves in the foot.  Not always the teams fault (the hand of god for example) but something will happen that turns a game.  it's almost hilarious at times.But this world cup I can see England limping out at the group stage - talksport battering on about it for a week - then we can all move on and enjoy the rest of the tournament.

I know its not exactly sticking your neck out predictions wise but I really feel Brazil are going to deliver on home soil.  With Big Phil at the helm what could possibly go wrong? 

Meanwhile back to domestic matters, Greg Dyke is going to be at the conference play-off final on Sunday and some kind of protest about the absurd league 3 proposal is beginning to take shape.  Which I think is probably going to be in the form of a few protest banners ha ha! 

My money is on Brazil, home advantage, did the business in the Confederations cup not so long ago.

Spain look like Barca right now, a team thats either running out of idea, or is too stubborn to try other ideas, either way they will give a good account of themselves, but i cant see them winning it. Has anyone ever defended the World cup and won it twice in a row? 

My money is on Brazil, home advantage, did the business in the Confederations cup not so long ago.

Spain look like Barca right now, a team thats either running out of idea, or is too stubborn to try other ideas, either way they will give a good account of themselves, but i cant see them winning it. Has anyone ever defended the World cup and won it twice in a row? 

I think Brazil won in 58 and 62 (and then in 70 of course).

Pele was also injured for pretty much all of 62. It's a funny thing that considering how famous he is and widely regarded as one of the very best players ever there isn't much footage of him at his peak. His two famous world cups came before and after his prime years. 

I can't see Spain winning it. 4 major tournaments in a row would be completely unprecedented and I'm not sure their players will have the same hunger for it as Argentina, Brazil etc.

I've thought since 2012 they needed a change of coach to bring new ideas and freshen the team up and I stand by that. If they do win it again I hope we get much more of the Spain that beat Italy 4-0 than the one which beat Holland. Of course that  depends a lot on the attitude of the opposition.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Pele was also injured for pretty much all of 62. It's a funny thing that considering how famous he is and widely regarded as one of the very best players ever there isn't much footage of him at his peak. His two famous world cups came before and after his prime years. 

I can't see Spain winning it. 4 major tournaments in a row would be completely unprecedented and I'm not sure their players will have the same hunger for it as Argentina, Brazil etc.

I've thought since 2012 they needed a change of coach to bring new ideas and freshen the team up and I stand by that. If they do win it again I hope we get much more of the Spain that beat Italy 4-0 than the one which beat Holland. Of course that  depends a lot on the attitude of the opposition.

It's also weird that one of the most shown clips is one of him missing an open goal.

Fantastic, outrageous dummy on the keeper, but he didn't actually score!