aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Right, with the Cole question answered the rest of the squad had become more or less predictable. What will be much more interesting is who will make his starting 11.

My guess would be:  Hart, Johnson, Baines, Cahill, Jagielka, Milner, Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Ox [or Sterling], Rooney.

4-5-1, Johnson on the right, Baines on the left.  Milner RM, Ox LM, Gerrard, Henderson with Wilshere between them and Rooney.

Sturridge will start, surely.

Maybe - but I just can't imagine Hodgson being bold enough to start two forwards, and I think he'll start with Rooney up top.

The team I listed isn't the team I think should play - just the team I think probably will play.  We'll see...

I have always been pretty underwhelmed by the team that actually gets picked to represent England at tournaments and I don't see it being any different this time, especially with a tough group to try and pick up points.

Edited by Gladstone

West Brom were lucky to survive.  I thought they'd go for Malky Mackay at the time.  I think they may still.

I reckon Norwich will want him also.

Who's going to buy Villa?  I'd quite like to see them get some big money.  They always get talked about as one of those "big clubs" but in my time never have been.

It will be Gerrard and Henderson sitting in the middle with Sturridge, Rooney, Welbeck and Wilshire infront id imagine. 

I think it will be this. Hodgson goes for 4-3-3 more often than not, and he seemed to love Cleverley, so I'm surprised - and also glad - that he's not been picked. Henderson will just take Cleverley's place in the midfield 3 with Gerrard and Wilshere. Gerrard deep. Henderson and Wilshere ahead, and a front 3 of Welbz, Wazza and Studge.

I'd plump Smalling in the centre of defence next to Cahill. Smalling is so underrated at centre back. Chances are he was brought as a backup full back, and won't play in the middle. Jagielka is good, but he gets turned easily, and he's not the strongest in the air. Smalling is quick off the mark, and colossal in the air. He just can't dribble for shite, so he shouldn't ever be in contention to play as a full back.

No idea why Phil Jones is in the team. He's nowhere near ready, unless he's doing a man marking job. Smalling is twice the defender Jones is.