aberdeen-music

Most overrated bands/artists ever?

Larsen B

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genesis?

Yep, early Genesis has influenced a raft of bands through the years, from all sorts of genre's. Peter Gabriels theatrics mixzed with the style of vocals influenced most fothe prog rock bands that came after them including, Opeth, Spock's Beard, Marillion and Dream Theater to name a few, mix with the the fact that they've also iinfluenced a load of pop bands, people like Duran Duran and much of the 80's music scene hold them up as influences. When you say Genesis everyone thinks of the Phil Collins years but they were a very influential band in the early 70's.

Cheers

Stuart

Yep' date=' early Genesis has influenced a raft of bands through the years, from all sorts of genre's. Peter Gabriels theatrics mixzed with the style of vocals influenced most fothe prog rock bands that came after them including, Opeth, Spock's Beard, Marillion and Dream Theater to name a few, mix with the the fact that they've also iinfluenced a load of pop bands, people like Duran Duran and much of the 80's music scene hold them up as influences. When you say Genesis everyone thinks of the Phil Collins years but they were a very influential band in the early 70's.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

fair enough. i always think of the phil collins years so i was confused as to how influential they could actually be.

The Beatles, quite a few good songs but nowhere near as good or influential as they're credited for, what everyone neglects to notice is that there were LOADS of bands like the Beatles around at the time, they were far from revolutionary, I don't think any of the Beatles would profess to being half as influential as they're claimed to be.

It's true what Tarantino says though, there are two kinds of people Beatles people and Elvis people, and I'm definitelly an Elvis person. You can tell loads about a person from their answer to that question in my opinion.

The Beatles' date=' quite a few good songs but nowhere near as good or influential as they're credited for, what everyone neglects to notice is that there were LOADS of bands like the Beatles around at the time, they were far from revolutionary, I don't think any of the Beatles would profess to being half as influential as they're claimed to be.

It's true what Tarantino says though, there are two kinds of people Beatles people and Elvis people, and I'm definitelly an Elvis person. You can tell loads about a person from their answer to that question in my opinion.[/quote']

What about me i'm neither.

How can some of you people chose AC/DC and Metallica as some of the most over rated bands ever?

This is true' date=' both [i']legends of their respected fields.

It's difficult to say bands are overrated, for example Nirvana - so many people loved them - You can't argue with that. Whatever reason you give to as why a band shouldn't have got so far is kinda invalid to the number of fans they have etc... get me?

With the re-occuring Led Zepplin thing, I wouldn't say the band as a whole were overrated but more Jimmy Page. They know when and when not play, but Page - he didn't know how to play!! Heartbreaker solo anyone??? Stariway to heaven??? there were far better guitarists than Page in the 60s and 70s yet 'Stairway...' is consistently quoted as being one of the greatest ever solos.

Guest Scorge Spike
Yep' date=' early Genesis has influenced a raft of bands through the years, from all sorts of genre's. Peter Gabriels theatrics mixzed with the style of vocals influenced most fothe prog rock bands that came after them including, Opeth, Spock's Beard, Marillion and Dream Theater to name a few, mix with the the fact that they've also iinfluenced a load of pop bands, people like Duran Duran and much of the 80's music scene hold them up as influences. When you say Genesis everyone thinks of the Phil Collins years but they were a very influential band in the early 70's.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Bit ironic that their best album was the first one they made without Peter Gabriel though?....

(NB: opinion)

I pretty much agree with what stuart (jester15674?) has been saying - also you reminded me of spocks beard, a band I keep meaning to invest in!

I would say Janes Addiction have always been overrated. I liked the live album but the rest is crappy boredom modern rock.

And I also stick by Black Sabbath being overrated. With them, fair enough they probably influenced a lot of people back in the day, but too many people in this day who like Sabbath seem oblivious to the fact what sabbath did has been totally raped into something far, hmmm, ummm, more advanced....

Saying Queen are overrated is bullshit.

Guest Nikola Tesla
yea well i just hate it who wants to listen to someone talking fast about how much money they have or how much money they dont have

Hmm that seems like youve got a very limmited view upon rap music there.

L O L

Your taking about the rap you hear on the radio.

I could say rock music was crap, by listening to Busted and McFly on the radio.

There are LOADS of rappers out there that never rap about money, guns, cars and................are not on the radio !!! lol.

and some of teh lyrical skill in rap music is AMZAING. What other type of music is there when you think "what lyrical skill", rock - instruments, pop - ? (oops) but you know what i mean

Rap - Lyrics .

and some of teh lyrical skill in rap music is AMZAING. What other type of music is there when you think "what lyrical skill"' date=' rock - instruments, pop - ? (oops) but you know what i mean

Rap - Lyrics .[/quote']

I dunno about saying that rock music doesn't have lyrical skill man - I'd say I'm equally in awe of rock and rap artists equally in a lyrical sense. There's songs by say Faith No More, Incubus or Marilyn Manson that have lyrics just as potent as say Jurassic 5, The Roots or Blackalicious to mine ears :)

I dunno about saying that rock music doesn't have lyrical skill man - I'd say I'm equally in awe of rock and rap artists equally in a lyrical sense. There's songs by say Faith No More' date=' Incubus or Marilyn Manson that have lyrics just as potent as say Jurassic 5, The Roots or Blackalicious to mine ears :)[/quote']

yeah but I think by lyrical skill he means the flow of an MC. to be honest rock singers tend not to have the same flow as MC's, although early incubus and faith no more do.

yeah I get what your saying.

But I mean the rappers that get no credit, fully underground when its all about punch lines and lyrically standing out.

I.e

Necro

ill Bill

Sabac

WARCLOUD

The Professional

Check out www.necrohiphop.com oh and this site is very sick, stick to the page links on your left and you'll be fine lol

But I complete get what your sayign. I guess it the same with all music styles. i.e some rap songs haev live bands play there music, some rock songs have well writen lyrics.

L O L

Your taking about the rap you hear on the radio.

I could say rock music was crap' date=' by listening to Busted and McFly on the radio.

There are LOADS of rappers out there that never rap about money, guns, cars and................are not on the radio !!! lol.

and some of teh lyrical skill in rap music is AMZAING. What other type of music is there when you think "what lyrical skill", rock - instruments, pop - ? (oops) but you know what i mean

Rap - Lyrics .[/quote']

yeah i probably shouldve just edit my post to say mainstream rap as thats all ive heard never heard any underground stuff. i aggree with you about some rock music lyrics being shite as well

Warcloud ! Wow amazing lyrics, him and The Professional are LA underground rappers, they rap with Wu-Tang some times so people say they are part of the wu fam but they have no cds in stores.

Necro has some nice lyrics but he rated more as a producer because he is a real good producer. ill Bill and Sabac are two of Necros artists under his lable. Both have cd's in stores NOW. 2 of the best white rappers out there.

I think i'm going off topic tho !! lol