aberdeen-music

Most overrated bands/artists ever?

Larsen B

i think any of that EMO pish that gets passed off these days are OVerated!

quit yer wineing you crybaby's!

ffaf DIE wooses!

n also' date=' overrated : bowie (just crap, and come on, [b']what a fag) the smiths (lighten up man) and blink 182 (its not real punk is it>!?)

I can't believe that an Oasis and Stereophonics fan would be a homophobe!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the smiths (boring)

Ian Brown (worst singer ever)

stone roses (see ian brown)

Nirvana (dont get me started)

the streets (even one person saying they are good makes "cockney rap" overrated)

Linkin Park (...)

the Jam (boring)

the clash (see other "the" bands)

Darkest Hour (bland metalcore in world where there are 100' date='000,000s better)[/quote']

Of course if you don't like a band you'll consider their music boring!! Can't you be more specific (although to be fair i never specified in the first post to give reasons). And the Clash are in not like other "the" bands!! Fair enough their first album may be straight forward punk but they experimented and delved into heaps of other genre's including jazz, dub, reggae, funk, blues, hill-billy!!! And you can hardly lump all "the" bands together. The Cure sound absolutely nothing like The Vines!

You did put the Streets and Stone Roses though!!! :up:

Of course if you don't like a band you'll consider their music boring!! Can't you be more specific (although to be fair i never specified in the first post to give reasons). And the Clash are in not like other "the" bands!! Fair enough their first album may be straight forward punk but they experimented and delved into heaps of other genre's including jazz' date=' dub, reggae, funk, blues, hill-billy!!! And you can hardly lump all "the" bands together. The Cure sound absolutely nothing like The Vines!

You did put the Streets and Stone Roses though!!! :up:[/quote']

well i didnt mean ALL "the" bands (the haunted happen to be very good) i ment "see other "the" bands" as in the list i had given. and no i wont give another reason, i dont like the smiths etc and find them overrated because they bore me to tears... its that simple

well i didnt mean ALL "the" bands (the haunted happen to be very good) i ment "see other "the" bands" as in the list i had given. and no i wont give another reason' date=' i dont like the smiths etc and find them overrated because they bore me to tears... its that simple[/quote']

It's not really another reason, more the reason why they bore you. Like Metallica bore me cause they're all repetitve overdriven riffage and panny solos and I hate their non-descript bland lyrics sung by a redneck.

iron maiden (seriously shut up)

the darkness (a really un funny joke, lik emeatloafs bat out of hell)

pantera(rather listen to larry sparks through a distortion pedal)

marilyn manson (he works hard for the money, not anymore)

and as for underated bands (not that theres much of that going on in this thread due to it only being a overrated thread)

the residents(its thanks to them primus are so weird)

horse the band(r.borlax is one of the best albums i own)

I have to add Led Zepplin too for much the same reason as Nirvana and Queen. While I'm not a fan of any of those bands by any degree, a lot of people seem to pretend to owe them some kind of respect without really being able to explain why they think that if you genuinely love them, that's cool. There are plenty of bands who are genuinely bad that people like and those bands aren't them but liking a band out of duty to "rock royalty" is just stupid.

I can't stand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers either. Just 'cos it sounds good on a hot summers day while you're pissed in a field doesn't make it good music, hell ANYTHING would sound good in that context.

I have to add Led Zepplin too for much the same reason as Nirvana and Queen. While I'm not a fan of any of those bands by any degree' date=' a lot of people seem to pretend to owe them some kind of respect without really being able to explain why they think that if you genuinely love them, that's cool. There are plenty of bands who are genuinely bad that people like and those bands aren't them but liking a band out of duty to "rock royalty" is just stupid.

I can't stand the Red Hot Chilli Peppers either. Just 'cos it sounds good on a hot summers day while you're pissed in a field doesn't make it good music, hell ANYTHING would sound good in that context.[/quote']

I think its easy to knock the bigger bands like Queen and Zeppelin but they themselves have influenced so many other bands that the face of modern music wouldn't be the same without them. I don't think you can overstate the power of these bands in the history of music, without bands like Queen and Zeppelin you wouldn't have had any of the 80's big rock in the way it was, or much of the other more modern indie bands. Zeppelin changed the whole face of blues rock and helped create bands like Def Leppard, Maiden, Diamond Head etc, who in their own ways influenced bands like Metallica and many others, I can understand people not liking them but i don't think you can underestimate the effect they had on modern music, same as the Smiths, the Beatles, New York Dolls, the Clash, Genesis, King Crimson, the Sex Pistols and to a lesser degree Nirvana.

Overated ? that's easy, The Darkness, Stereophonics, Radiohead, Bon Jovi, Oasis there's loads of them,

To me what makes a band instantly overated is when they're deemed as a huge band and seen to be innovative when its so obvious who they rip their sound off of.

Cheers

Stuart

metallica (god help me if i hear them...)

led zeppelin (just because its old' date=' doesn't make it good)

incubus (whine whine bitch and moan...with unimaginative imagery)

nirvana (find a NEW band already)

ac/dc (i never did get this one)

korn (*suppresses laughter*)

qotsa (hmm...one very good song)

foo fighters (they were good for about a year)

biffy (i love them, but they're not THAT amazing)

the offspring (don't get me started)

rancid (wake me up when this guy has something interesting to say)

nightwish (she can sing very beautifully...its just a pity about the rest)

there are probably many more

and as a reference point jakey, fugazi can't take all of the blame for starting the 'revolting emo navel-gazing', there were other contenders..what about rites of spring, far, sunny d?[/quote']

what the fuck is wrong with you, you panda??!!! and which year was this foo fighters were good in? inlighten me.

umm' date=' if you're accusing me of being a trend-follower, i'd like to warn you to watch what you say.

and by the comment 'find a new band' i meant that nirvana have been gone for 10 years, they're never coming back, and they weren't that good to begin with. they started a genre which didn't deserve (in my opinion) to be considered decent music.

but then again, i'm just a trend follower, what do i know?[/quote']

yehh! for all you queen,beatles and one true voice fans out there - stop liking,respecting and listening to their music because they are never coming back!

how stupid.

Guest allsystemsfail

n also' date=' overrated : bowie (just crap, and come on, what a fag) the smiths (lighten up man) and blink 182 (its not real punk is it>!?)[/quote']

You have a problem with Bowie's sexuality? Also, what's with your use of language? Fag?

Guest davetherave

Overrated bands

Much the same as everyone else really.

Oasis

Rolling stones

Gratefully dead

Bob Dylan (good songwriter, but should never have been given a microphone)

Limp Bizkit (and many of the other Nu metal bands)

Any mass produced boy or girl band

I'm also going to stick my neck out and say the Beatles (George Martin did all the work)!

Cheers,

Dave :band:

I'm gonna say just two:

Minor Threat

Fugazi

Minor threat are possibly the reason i chose to start listening to hardcore, but everyone is entitled to their own opinons.Saw fugazi a year or two ago and was pretty impressed, they gave the impression of really taking an interest in the audience, and their musical ability was flawless.

Guest allsystemsfail
Minor threat are possibly the reason i chose to start listening to hardcore' date=' but everyone is entitled to their own opinons.Saw fugazi a year or two ago and was pretty impressed, they gave the impression of really taking an interest in the audience, and their musical ability was flawless.[/quote']

In My Eyes aside, just could not get excited about Minor Threat. Fugazi the same. This said, I fully recognize their impact and importance to the punk/hardcore community, and whose music and actions have inspired many.