aberdeen-music

Most overrated bands/artists ever?

Larsen B

Guest allsystemsfail
Your wish is granted! I have the video' date=' and it's got some harrowing interviews w/Sid, saying he'd like to be "under the ground", just before he died. I'll take it to the gig on the 29th, if you'd like to borrow it.[/quote']

Hey man, cool. Thanks While I don't have a video system myself, I can certainly watch it at a friend's.

:up:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail

Oh riiiiiiight. Never heard it to be honest with you so can't comment.

I gotta say that I'm kinda surprised. As a Pistols obsessive (as I once was) I thought you would have tried to track down pretty much everything by former members. You said too that you hadn't heard anthing of Cook and Jones' other contributions to the work of other bands.

Anyway, I'm not taking a swipe at you. Just surprised is all.

The Sham/Pistols project came together in I think 1979.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch
I gotta say that I'm kinda surprised. As a Pistols obsessive (as I once was) I thought you would have tried to track down pretty much everything by former members. You said too that you hadn't heard anthing of Cook and Jones' other contributions to the work of other bands.

Anyway' date=' I'm not taking a swipe at you. Just surprised is all.

The Sham/Pistols project came together in I think 1979.[/quote']

Well, i am a huge fan of Echo & The Bunnymen but i don't particularly like either Ian McCulloch's or Will Sergeant's solo projects, i also like The Jam but i don't like the Style Council or Paul Weller's solo albums.

Its a matter of taste, I just pay attention to what i personally like musically, i heard The Professionals and didn't like the band, end of story. And Sham 69 were a band that never interested me in the slightest either.

I also hated those songs Jones and Cook recorded together, included that one with Ronnie Biggs, the Pistols were just a twitching corpse at that point and just cringeworthy to listen to.

Guest allsystemsfail
Well' date=' i am a huge fan of Echo & The Bunnymen but i don't particularly like either Ian McCulloch's or Will Sergeant's solo projects, i also like The Jam but i don't like the Style Council or Paul Weller's solo albums.

Its a matter of taste, I just pay attention to what i personally like musically, i heard The Professionals and didn't like the band, end of story. And Sham 69 were a band that never interested me in the slightest either.

I also hated those songs Jones and Cook recorded together, included that one with Ronnie Biggs, the Pistols were just a twitching corpse at that point and just cringeworthy to listen to.[/quote']

One other thing that I'm curious about. You said you loved punk, but have said nothing of second and third wave outfits such as The Ruts, SLF, UK Subs, Crass, Dead Kennedys, Discharge... Did such bands not interest you? Anyway, as I said, I'm just curious.

One other thing that I'm curious about. You said you loved punk' date=' but have said nothing of second and third wave outfits such as The Ruts, SLF, UK Subs, Crass, Dead Kennedys, Discharge... Did such bands not interest you? Anyway, as I said, I'm just curious.[/quote']

Oh yeah i like stuff like The Ruts, Stiff Little Fingers, The Dead Kennedys, Discharge, The Exploited and Black Flag. Especially Black Flag.

I liked a lot of The Ruts' stuff but thats yet another tragic story, its just a shame Malcolm Owen didn't live longer.

Guest allsystemsfail
Oh yeah i like stuff like The Ruts' date=' Stiff Little Fingers, The Dead Kennedys, Discharge, The Exploited and Black Flag. Especially Black Flag.

I liked a lot of The Ruts' stuff but thats yet another tragic story, its just a shame Malcolm Owen didn't live longer.[/quote']

Yeah, The Ruts were a truly amazing band, although as you say it all ended tragically. Full length The Crack still stands as one THE great punk albums. Did you check out Ruts DC?

So, have you made it along to any of the DIY punk shows at Drakes?

Yeah' date=' The Ruts were a truly amazing band, although as you say it all ended tragically. Full length The Crack still stands as one THE great punk albums. Did you check out Ruts DC?[/quote']

Ruts DC?. I got The Crack and Grin And Bear It on this double album disc that came out a while ago, got a Ruts Peels Sessions CD and a mate of mine gave me a copy of some show they did with Penetration way back in 79.

So, have you made it along to any of the DIY punk shows at Drakes?

DIY punk?, whats that? mohawked blokes giving people advice on how to put up shelves properly? ;)

He doesn't want this thread to turn into a huge argument' date=' probably because his own argument doesn't have enough substance and didn't really say anything anyway.

So lets just leave it at that eh?[/quote']

No it's because it's really just a matter of opinion and my opinion of Hendrix is not gonna change cos what someone else says and nor will i change their opinion which means it would just really drag on without conclusion.

Guest allsystemsfail
Ruts DC?. I got The Crack and Grin And Bear It on this double album disc that came out a while ago' date=' got a Ruts Peels Sessions CD and a mate of mine gave me a copy of some show they did with Penetration way back in 79.

DIY punk?, whats that? mohawked blokes giving people advice on how to put up shelves properly? ;)[/quote']

Ruts DC? Well, after Malcom's death, the remaining members chose to continue, albeit with a slightly different name. Bought their first 7". Wasn't that excited by what I heard.

DIY? Think indie. The DIY punk community seeks to maintain a strict independence - the building of a genuine alternative to the music biz - a global network of bands, zines, show spaces, distros, labels, and friends. The DIY ethic is central to the punk cause.