aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

For me, he is tied with Wayne Bridge. That debacle from a couple of years back felt like it went on forever, all because of some affair. I don't think I've seen Wayne Bridge play more than 3 or 4 games of football. Is he even still alive?

I hope Chelsea get laughed at for such a tedious complaint. There is a rumour he called Mata a "Spanish twat" but that sounds far too ridiculous to be true. Who would even say that? English twats.

What's so offensive? He's Spanish, and he's a twat. Ref got it spot on in my book.

I actually thought he was spot on to send off Torres, why did he go down in that position? Why was he rolling about clutching his leg and then when the ref came over it was like nothing had happened, he dived, simple as. He knew if he went past he would have to try and finish, the one thing he is completely shite at now a days so he bottled it in the hope of Mata saving the team again. The Ivanovic one was spot on, def red card and i dont really think the ref is to blame for the 3rd goal, you can only see its offside when you slow it down and stop it on the exactly point the ball is kicked, in first glance watching it on tv it didnt look offside.

The abuse thing is a joke, the one thing that would stick in my mind, if Mikel thought he was being called a monkey why did he not react in anyway at the time?

Made it down to St. James' Park yesterday. No idea how we won as we were beyond shit, especially in the second half. Pardew started a 4-3-3 with SHOLA on the right wing, which is one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen a Newcastle manager make. Anyway. First half we were okay, probably deserved to be 1 up. Second, useless. Awful. Literally nothing worked. Couldn't string more than 2 passes together. Even my three dependables - Cabaye, Colo and Ben Arfa - were having stinkers. Then Sammy Ameobi came on, looked good again, and smashed a ball off Cisse's arse for a completely undeserved last minute victory. Get in.

I'm worried about us and I'm worried about Pardew. I don't understand his team selection or tactics. Williamson over Taylor and Ameobi at RW, absolutely baffling decisions. The way we played in the second-half indicates a lack of gameplan to me. Nobody had a bloody clue what to do with the ball. It was only when we brought a one-track minded player like Sammy ("get ball, run fast with ball, cross/shoot") that we looked like doing anything. And Danny Simpson... fuck, if you still don't understand why I hate this player, watch this game. He's completely shit. Offers nothing going forward and continually fails to close his man down and put a tackle in. Get rid, ASAP.

Lukaku looked good for them. I was very surprised by his off-the-ball movement, which was very clever. Clarke wants his head checked for subbing him off like.

• Upvote 1

Also didn't know about this until now. A steward was injured as Chelsea fans surged down the stands as Hernandez and Young celebrated the winning goal. Hernandez is a bit irresponsible celebrating there, but Chelsea fans should be able to control themselves really. A chair was ripped from its hinges and thrown towards the players too, and in this picture, you can see a steward being shoved over the boards and looking close to being snapped in half:

article-2224550-15BBD9FC000005DC-449_634x411.jpg

Pretty terrible. Control your supporters. Gareth Bale celebrated his goal infront of United fans the other week and nobody got snapped in half. What were the Chelsea fans gonna do? Step onto the pitch and give him a smack? No chance. Put a lid on it. It's only a game, innit?

The Clattenburg thing is already boring to talk about. We've just got loads of people deciding what they think happened based on how much they like or dislike Chelsea.

If he did call Mata a twat it's not the most offensive thing in the world but it would be a sign that he lost his calm in a way a ref shouldn't and perhaps even reveal a bias. I hope this doesn't drag on as long as other things like this.

Rio is so fucking boring.

Forefront of the campaign yet last weekend he refused to wear a shirt that highlights the issue he bores us to death with daily. What the fuck is that all about?

I knew it was only a matter of time before he got involved with this whole Clatterburg thing. Anything slightly racist happens and Rio fires up his twitter and posts some meaningless shitty comment. Football is going to be under the microscope? What a shit thing to say. You can't put an entire sport under a microscope you fud! Also why is the entire sport going be watched closely? A referee called some diving shitbag a cheeky monkey. Thats it.

I agree with him that racism is pretty shitty but he's not going to stop anyone being racist by harping on that racism is bad and hounding anybody who is accused of saying something out of line. He is so politically correct it's politically incorrect.

Made it down to St. James' Park yesterday. No idea how we won as we were beyond shit, especially in the second half. Pardew started a 4-3-3 with SHOLA on the right wing, which is one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen a Newcastle manager make. Anyway. First half we were okay, probably deserved to be 1 up. Second, useless. Awful. Literally nothing worked. Couldn't string more than 2 passes together. Even my three dependables - Cabaye, Colo and Ben Arfa - were having stinkers. Then Sammy Ameobi came on, looked good again, and smashed a ball off Cisse's arse for a completely undeserved last minute victory. Get in.

I'm worried about us and I'm worried about Pardew. I don't understand his team selection or tactics. Williamson over Taylor and Ameobi at RW, absolutely baffling decisions. The way we played in the second-half indicates a lack of gameplan to me. Nobody had a bloody clue what to do with the ball. It was only when we brought a one-track minded player like Sammy ("get ball, run fast with ball, cross/shoot") that we looked like doing anything. And Danny Simpson... fuck, if you still don't understand why I hate this player, watch this game. He's completely shit. Offers nothing going forward and continually fails to close his man down and put a tackle in. Get rid, ASAP.

Lukaku looked good for them. I was very surprised by his off-the-ball movement, which was very clever. Clarke wants his head checked for subbing him off like.

Surely the only worries about you can have about Newcastle can be "If and when" they sell the best players? Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba? After the season they had last year?? In my opinion Newcastle were THE most entertaining side in the league last year, they were never going to surpass that this year?, plus theyve had injuries / suspensions and obviously the "suposed" unrest of Ba?

Get Shearer back in!! i can almost hear it now ( J )

But if the team remained as strong, why couldn't they continue from last season's form? There's no reason why it should just come to a halt unless they lost star players, which they haven't. The starting lineup looks reasonably complete. A bit of squad depth could be useful, but they've got some very good players to cause problems. They've looked good and poor in equal spells, and I don't think they've put together a good full 90 minutes this season, compared to last season when they were excellent, especially at home.

I suppose if we have the answer to that, were in the wrong job :) other than teams get wise to how all teams play, i'd say. The only differences i saw in Newcastle was when Ba was on the bench for a brief spell, when his contract was supposedly in question, wasnt Ben Arfa injured for a bit too? ( there most talented footballer in my eyes ) and now in my opinion the linch pin of the side Tiote will be out through suspension no doubt. The results havent been as favourable as they were last season, but last season was as good a season a rebulit team will ever have in the premiership. They'll still win far more than they lose for sure. Far from alarm bells for me.

I think newcastle fans ought to factor in the Europa League and how critical an impact European competitions have on clubs (even the top ones) in general. Newcastle don't exactly have strength in depth; they have a pretty solid starting 11 (with one or two excellent flair players) which ought to win more games than they lose. However, beyond the first fully fit 11, Newcastle do not have many quality players who can make a positive difference in a game, and that's just the way it is really. Pardew got his excuses in before the WBA game regarding Europa Cup hangovers and how little time he actually had with his team to prepare for the league game following the Europa Cup game. And although my initial reaction was "Wise up Pardew, and stop making fucking excuses before the fact - you're a professional and ambitious football club and you ought to cope", but actually, I think he's correct to point out that, at best, he has less than 2 days with the players to prepare for the next league game on the Sunday after games in Europe. That is not a long time to work on drills related to the forthcoming game.

Newcastle were a relatively pressureless club last year, and that undoubtedly aided their progress and their style of playing in most games. This season their fans are more expectant (just see Murr's post), and with that comes considerable pressure, especially when coupled with the lack of signings and more competitive games to play. It's the same team as last year, but they have more games to play at awkward times, and the club might take a few years to settle into being a regular team in European competitions. It's not just that the players will be fatigued following the European exploits, but it's the lack of time the management team have to prepare their players for the following league game. One day of training to prepare is not nearly enough for a club who largely had between 3 and 5 days to prepare for EPL games last season. Each match requires a different strategic approach depending on the opposition, and one day is hardly enough to impart all of the instructions, work on set-plays, team shape, passing range/tempo, and defensive line. I think all of the above factors are contributing to Newcastle's relatively poor performances this season, but they are still picking up a healthy number of points and I think they'll perform more fluidly as the season goes on.

Just remember where the club has most recently come from. The Championship.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy watching Newcastle now, i used to find them annoying beyond belief...dunno why. They play awsome fast football, great at the back, great if not world class centre midfielders. I thought after last season they'd have a real crack at Europe, y'know cos most continental teams hate that style play, maybe they still will???.......surely the Toon would prefer taking home the Europa league than finshing 6/7th in the Premiership..........?? theyre looking pretty good in it :)