aberdeen-music

Good things about Aberdeen

jcn

When I lived in town I liked the fact that I could walk from my flat near Holburn St/Great Western Road to Pittodrie in under an hour if I wanted. There's an abundance of really good local pubs and some excellent city centre ones. We have a lot of decent restaurants covering a wide range of food. Not much fine dining but there's plenty of solid, proper restaurants you can go to for an intimate meal or a casual spur of the moment feed with friends.

There's also a lot of good shops if you like that sort of thing, probably to the detriment of more interesting shops and traditional retail areas but some people probably see it as a good thing.

But my favourite things about Aberdeen is really the area as a whole. From beaches, to mountains to lowland countryside we have a bit of everything. All within a short drive of the city or most of the towns. I can leave my house and be parked and setting off for some munros in under an hour. Or within a few minutes I could be cycling or running through woodland and smaller hills. Then on a sunny day I can nip down to Stoney for a few pints outside at the harbour or find a quiet spot for some fishing.

• Upvote 3

As has been proved on this thread, there's beauty in any place if you're willing to make the effort to look for it. I grew up in the shire, then spent 5 years in Glasgow and have now spent 5 and a half in Edinburgh and I've loved them all. There are great things and rubbish things about all of them.

I never lived in the deen but spent huge amounts of time there some of the stuff in this thread is spot on. I love the place.

Aberdeen fits a hell of a lot in for a population of only 220,000. We're a cosy wee bunch up here and I like the fact that I can walk down Union Street and bump into people I know.

That's the reason I left Aberdeen. It's a city only in name...in mentality and attitude it's a town.

I assume Doug Stanhope didn't have a great gig at the Music Hall tonight. He's just posted this on Twitter much to my amusement: https://twitter.com/#!/DougStanhope/status/185510909886726144

I'm a big fan. Last night kinda put me off him though.

That tweet put me off him. Fancy slagging a whole city just because your gig didn't go well. Was he heckled, or something?

EDIT: Actually, hm, looking at his website he seems to be the kind of "comedian" who just stands and insults people for the sake of insulting people. Nae my bag.

I cant get on Twitter at work. What does he say?

I thought he was good last night. Better than the DVD I have, but there was a bit in the middle that was a bit drawn out.

If retardation was a race rather than a random act of God's kindness, it would explain Aberdeen #applause

I think my confusion was from not understanding twitter talk, i missed the applause bit at the end.

Fair dos. He told that joke last night. I enjoyed it. It wasn't because people didn't find him funny. They did. he just explained how he was in Aberdeen the day before and spotting all the people who looked retarded. He sort of had a point. The junkie-count on Union Street is pretty high, and the majority of them look like mutants.

He didn't just slag off Aberdeen, he pretty much ripped into the whole United Kingdom.

He said during the gig that he would be putting that on his Twitter but didn't want to be a pussy and wait so he would tell us at the time. It wasn't to do with the crowd at the show, more a walk down the street observation :laughing:

*edit* I would have clicked reply earlier but got busy, instead I have just said the same as Joe. Lovely.