aberdeen-music

Good things about Aberdeen

jcn

To take my cat to the vet. I can't walk all the way there carrying a cat carrier.

I have to catch the bus every morning to work. They're shite. And I'm pretty sure Aberdeen is the most expensive in Scotland.

You find the grey soothing, so it makes it good for you, but I hate it. And as much as Nef says I should just move away. Everyone knows it isn't just THAT easy and that's stupid advice.

It was always good to go to gigs in Aberdeen, because I would know that several friends of mine would be guaranteed to be there. I do miss that aspect of Aberdeen, especially as I used to go to 10 gigs or so a month.

The only things I really miss are the people and the countryside. And The Moorings, obviously.

To take my cat to the vet. I can't walk all the way there carrying a cat carrier.

I have to catch the bus every morning to work. They're shite. And I'm pretty sure Aberdeen is the most expensive in Scotland.

You find the grey soothing, so it makes it good for you, but I hate it. And as much as Nef says I should just move away. Everyone knows it isn't just THAT easy and that's stupid advice.

1. Fair enough, but you can still bus it. I took the bus to Bedford Studios with my massive guitar hardcase. Not impossible.
  2. They do 3-month things which work fine and give you a bit of a discount.
  3. It's certainly not as easy as it is to moan your fucking mouth about how shite it is, of that we are certain.

1. Fair enough, but you can still bus it. I took the bus to Bedford Studios with my massive guitar hardcase. Not impossible.
  2. They do 3-month things which work fine and give you a bit of a discount.
  3. It's certainly not as easy as it is to moan your fucking mouth about how shite it is, of that we are certain.

1. A guitar case is a little different to a live animal. And if how it reacted to the animals in the vet is any clue of how it would have been on a bus, I'm glad I got a lift.

2. Yeah they do, but it wasn't just price I was griping about. They're shite.

3. So I can't give an opposing opinion in a thread? Righto. Dave, leave the prohibition thread. We'll decide who has to leave the UTG thread later. Come on now.

And my mate giving me a lift = the friends i have here are the best parts of aberdeen. If I could move my entire life somewhere else, I would. But of course I can't. So I come to the internet to moan.

Agree with Jake on carrying a cat around. Giving it a smooth of a journey as possible is best. Cats tend to hate getting bundled into carriers anyway, and the movement of carrying one whilst taking a brisk walk to the vet would probably send it loopy, stress it out, or make it puke all over the place. Perhaps all 3. Getting a lift is a good idea, or taking it on the bus at the very least.

Jake talks an awful lot of shite sometimes, but it seems some folk are getting a little nitpicky with the things he's saying, almost trying to find fault with absolutely everything he posts. He's perfectly entitled to think Aberdeen is shit if he wants to. He's wrong though. Aberdeen is banging.

• Upvote 2

It was always good to go to gigs in Aberdeen, because I would know that several friends of mine would be guaranteed to be there. I do miss that aspect of Aberdeen, especially as I used to go to 10 gigs or so a month.

The only things I really miss are the people and the countryside. And The Moorings, obviously.

A good thing about Aberdeen: the number of people in the music scene is quite small.

A bad thing about Aberdeen: the number of people in the music scene is quite small.

Depends on your mood, I suppose :D

Jake talks an awful lot of shite sometimes, but it seems some folk are getting a little nitpicky with the things he's saying, almost trying to find fault with absolutely everything he posts. He's perfectly entitled to think Aberdeen is shit if he wants to. He's wrong though. Aberdeen is banging.

I don't really nitpick or call Jake on his shit posts that much, I don't think. I have a genuine gripe with people dissing my hometown.

Of course he's entitled to think what he wants -I personally don't care about what he thinks- but rather it's the trashing of the city that he still chooses to live in that pisses me off. I'm well aware it's not just as easy as up and moving but if I lived in a place that's as bad as he's making out Aberdeen to be, I would endeavour to get out of there asap.

It's not JUST the buses. Anyway, I came back from Edinburgh last weekend and just hated Aberdeen. There are many things keeping me here. My career in the oil and gas industry, the mrs, my friends, bands, family. Sure, if it weren't for these things I'd move out. But since I'm here, let me moan.

Forum -

a public meeting place for open discussion

Aberdeen is a fine place.

There isn't any reason not to find happiness here.

It's a small city but there is a bit of everything to keep everyone amused.

Compared to everywhere else I've lived there is more money floating about which makes things better.

One thing I don't like is why Aberdonians have such dislike for anything Glaswegian. They slag it off constantly with silly unfounded comments.

I'm not Glaswegian but find it irritating.

Every place has its good and bad points.

I guess you will find fault in anything if you really want to find it.

Partly football reasons, partly the accent, but mostly because it's a hole.

I think a weegie accent is infinitely nicer to listen to than an Aberdonian one, personally. I'm from here but everyone else in my immediate and extended family is from Glasgow so I'm sorta torn between the two worlds.

Duthie Park is fucking awesome! Was just there with Waltz and my dog, Louis. Louis' awesome. Waltz is a bit of a knob but alright really. Both those things are also from Aberdeen.

Totally thought you had a dog called Louis, Louis for a moment there.

Unfortunately not, although my Dad sings "Louis Louis Louis Louiiiiisssss" to the tune of Ruby by The Kaiser Chiefs which is kinda weird (The name's pronounced Loo-wee)

A good thing about Aberdeen: the number of people in the music scene is quite small.

A bad thing about Aberdeen: the number of people in the music scene is quite small.

Depends on your mood, I suppose :D

Oh yeah, it can be a massive limitation as well, as I've found out in the past! But I do think that for a city of its size, Aberdeen has a pretty balanced and diverse music scene.

• Upvote 1

Partly football reasons, partly the accent, but mostly because it's a hole.

I'd much rather have a Glaswegian accent than Aberdonian. I've neither but im not going to stereotype a city on an accent.

Glasgow does have too many shitholes. It also has loads of great areas making it the best city in Scotland in many respects.

Let's not forget Aberdeen has loads of shitholes too. I just stay clear of them and stay in the better bits. Like a do in other areas too.

I've realised taking football is never a good idea in Aberdeen.

I'm sure it was a forum member from here gave he a hard time in the Queen Vic not so long ago for being "a glory seeking tim" for supporting Celtic.

He was sick to death of everyone supporting the old firm and everyone was a glory hunter.

Totally killed his own argument when he supported Man Utd as Aberdeen were "shite", "at least Man Utd have a chance of winning something" and because Sir Alex used to manage Aberdeen.

I just don't understand how people can build up so much bitter hatred for not a lot of reason.

The only problem I have is when Aberdonian criticisms of Glasgow are things that are actually worse in Aberdeen. Before I moved down here, people would react like I was moving to a warzone. IMO Glasgow city centre and the West end feel significantly safer than Aberdeen, and I don't think it's just due it being more spread out.

EDIT: There are still plenty of things to criticise Glasgow about though.

Another night, another punch up.

The lane opposite Drummonds heading to O'neills 2 guys were beating the crap of of two police officers.

it took bystanders to control it before 2 police vans and 2 cars attended.

Breaking stereotypes, Aberdeen is a far more violent city than Glasgow as far as I've witnessed.