aberdeen-music

Good things about Aberdeen

jcn

It depends who im around when it comes to doric, the stores guys at work are a bit more rough shall we say, so i do tend to speak more broad to them, but when on the phone i have my work voice that is very polite. I dont mind someone speaking doric, its part of our culture up here, to deny it seems daft to me.

I remember getting detention at school for saying "aye" instead of yes to a certain english teacher and refusing to say yes. /coolstorybro

Guest Gladstone

I love the Doric accent. Mine's been toned down somewhat with going to uni and work and shit like that, but I'm constantly making an effort to get it back again. When I hear my accent back (on video or anything like that) I really don't like it because I sound like I'm from Aberdeen. No offense to Aberdonians, but I'm not from Aberdeen, I'm from the sticks!! I don't speak Doric at work, but the second I'm out of the place, I'm back in Doric mode.

I spent years trying to not sound like a tcheuchter to make sure folk from outside the area could understand me at uni and then at work but I wish I had made less of an effort and was still broad as fuck. I think I am still broad as fuck when I'm at home and with family etc. but now with a "toonser twang" which I'm not keen on...

EDIT: I forgot to say that it saddens me that doric seems to be dying out. When I was a kid the only kids at our primary school that weren't broad doric speakers were the one or two English kids in our class. I coach the football team there and not one of them speaks doric. I think it's a mix of more and more non-Scots living in the area and the exposure to American TV. Kids everywhere seem to have the same accent now - a weird sort of Americanised accent. I was walking down the street in Inverness recently and overheard a bunch of kids and they sounded exactly the same as the kids from New Deer that I coach. I find that weird and a little bit sad.

The scores of neds who hang about outside corner shops asking you to buy them cigarettes annoys me. But I suppose you get them anywhere. People in Aberdeen are generally dour. But then again I'm a miserable bastard anyways so that doesn't really bother me. Personally I'm from Ellon, and it suffers terribly from the small town mentality way of thinking.

I was brought up in a doric household, so can understand it fine, but don't really speak it. When I was at school, very little people actually spoke doric, but I was friends with a few of them. I think in time, maybe 2-3 generations, doric will be a thing of the past which is a real shame.

• Upvote 1

Everything here is my opinion, and if people don't agree, fine. But it seems a lot of people are telling me I'm wrong. When, I'm not, it's my opinion. I'm not wrong, and you're not wrong. Nobody's wrong 'cause it's all opinions.

I'm sorry I offended you Nef. C. But I'm not sorry for my opinions. They still stand and I'll still debate them because that's what forums are for.

Oh fuck off. We're no more categorically telling you you're wrong than you categorically said Aberdeen is a shit hole. Dry your eyes.

And would people stop insinuating that I'm Jakebashing because I've argued his point: I completely and legitimately opposed what he said, had nothing to do with the fact I think he's a terrible poster who mostly contributes negatively to the site.

Guest Gladstone
Oh fuck off. We're no more categorically telling you you're wrong than you categorically said Aberdeen is a shit hole. Dry your eyes.

And would people stop insinuating that I'm Jakebashing because I've argued his point: I completely and legitimately opposed what he said, had nothing to do with the fact I think he's a terrible poster who mostly contributes negatively to the site.

I have no fucking idea what you're talking about because I've used the ignore function for the first time. I suggest you do the same...

I have no fucking idea what you're talking about because I've used the ignore function for the first time. I suggest you do the same...

You know what Gladstone: I think I will!

I don't understand how I've negatively contributed to this thread. I should dry my eyes? You're almost greetin' 'cause I don't like where I live. Calm down.

Why do you support Celtic if you're not from Glasgow?

Let me guess...your dad supports Celtic? Or your great grandfather is from there? :angel:

FWIW I fucking love Aberdeen and the 'Shire - of course it has its flaws, but the area one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and I consider myself pretty lucky it's my home town.

My girlfriend is from Falkirk, and my experience of down there only re-affirms that I would absolutely hate to live in the central belt.

Falkirk is not the best of places. Kind of odd to lump the whole central belt with the same tag given that they are completely different places.

Kind of surprised to read such a narrow-minded post from you.

I'm from right in the middle of Glasow and Edinburgh. We didn't have a football team to support.

My dad hates football and my granddad was dead before I was born. It's nothing to do with religion either. Any more assumptions to end?

I've never once said Aberdeen is a bad place because it's not. It is far better than its own stereotypes.

Live outside Aberdeen for a lengthy period and you will see life is pretty easy here.

I hate reading all the bile posted about Glasgow/the central belt.

Most of the comments read as bitter and silly. Smacks of jealousy to be honest as you can't build up so much hatred about something that clearly most of the posters know nothing about.