aberdeen-music

Good things about Aberdeen

jcn

I think it's a beautiful thing. But there was a guy in work today speaking it and around well spoken people, in a professional environment, with the Aberdonian accent, it doesn't sound nice.

It's amazing with a shire accent though.

shut the fuck up about the fucking shire, you fucking hobbit.

Doric is mint. I picked up a few books on it over the past couple of years and love things like Scotland the What. It'll slowly die out I think, as it tends to be most prevalent in an older generation who perhaps travelled less and were influenced less by media, but I think it's ace.

• Upvote 1

THIS took far too long.

But I was not trolling. I seriously think as soon as you leave the city, even if you're just past B.O.D, or Portlethen, everything is better.

I disagree. The missus' parents live in Auchnaggat. There's nothing there. Totally boring. Ellon is crap too.

City, always. Remember that sitcom, City Guys? It was a hit, and it wasn't called fucking 'Shire Guys', was it?

• Upvote 1

My dad's aunt and uncle used to live in Auchnaggat. And although I've never been, he used to love going to their croft as a kid.

When I go to the mrs' house in the middle of nowhere (2 miles to the nearest village which doesn't offer much in the way of entertainment) I love it. It gets a bit boring at times but on the whole I enjoy it out there.

It's not as grey and depressing as the city either. Just loads of greens and blues as far as the eye can see. Maybe if the fire brigade jsut went around hosing down all the buildings in the city it might look nicer.

I work in there now, so I don't get filled with joy when I walk towards it, because I'm usually having to go inside it for 8 joyless hours.

working accross the road would have been better though? great view of marischal college, now your in there you have to look at the horrible st nicholas house.

karl pilkington philosophy

• Upvote 3

I prefer it to Aberdeen. Aberdeen is a shit hole.

Sorry but why are you here? If you don't like it, then leave. Find statements like that genuinely offensive. Instead of moaning, get off your arse and move to somewhere you do want to be.

Sorry but why are you here? If you don't like it, then leave. Find statements like that genuinely offensive. Instead of moaning, get off your arse and move to somewhere you do want to be.

I think you, or someone else, said something like this before and got shot down by someone else. It's not easy just to up and leave and although I think the city itself has more bad points than good, it's more than just the city that's keeping me here.

• Upvote 1

I think you, or someone else, said something like this before and got shot down by someone else. It's not easy just to up and leave and although I think the city itself has more bad points than good, it's more than just the city that's keeping me here.

No, I think I said something similar before and it got like eight likes which is loads because I don't get lots of likes because of my hair colour and personal hygiene.

Anyway, if you can't just move out do you not think it's best to keep quiet rather than moaning, offending other people from the city who don't think it's a shithole? Put up or shut up.

All this Doric chat has reminded me of the real best thing about Aberdeen and the surrounding area: that short, sharp, inhaling "aye" that folk do mid-conversation. You know what I mean, forum: it sounds more a like a "hi" and it's usually accompanied with a quick nod or slight tip of the head. Only in Aberdeenshire can you experience this linguistic wonder. Why don't parts of the world have this noise? Because they're all complete shit.

• Upvote 6

Some really good things are happening in Aberdeen and I'm proud of that. I just hate the council. Sorry, Soda Jerk, but you work for bastards. Total bastards. Not completely, but mostly bastards.

I went to Glasgow for a placement and honestly, I was a little reluctant to come back, but since I've been back, it's been almost constant fun. You need to get out now and then to appreciate it more. In the same way that I imagine consensual swinging partners try sleeping with other people for a bit, and then enjoy it more when they're with the Mister or Missus. It's exactly like that. I've heard. What? Shut up.

• Upvote 1

I was hugely doric until I was in my 20s. Growing up in Fraserburgh will do that to you. But when I moved to Aberdeen and got a job in an office full of posh wankers I realied that most of them thought I was a scumbag because of the way I spoke, plus I was phoning people all over the world and none of them knew what the fuck I was saying, so I purposely toned it down and picked up a generic Aberdeen accent, it became second nature, it's my natural accent now. Though when I speak to my parents or as soon as I set foot back in the 'Burgh I'm all like "far ye gan min? Awa an shite".

• Upvote 1

No, I think I said something similar before and it got like eight likes which is loads because I don't get lots of likes because of my hair colour and personal hygiene.

Anyway, if you can't just move out do you not think it's best to keep quiet rather than moaning, offending other people from the city who don't think it's a shithole? Put up or shut up.

Wait, so, never, on any thread on this site, has someone debated, argued, or moaned? Shhhiiiiiiiit.

Perhaps I could have worded it a little prettier for you, but we're all adults, I thought you could take it.

Good things about Aberdeen this morning - my friends, one of which is coming to give me a lift to the vet.

Bad things about Aberdeen this morning - taxis are too expensive. The buses are the worst I've ever seen. It's a horribly grey day as far as I can see.

Bad 3 - 1 Good, and it's only 9 in the morning.

Wait, so, never, on any thread on this site, has someone debated, argued, or moaned? Shhhiiiiiiiit.

Perhaps I could have worded it a little prettier for you, but we're all adults, I thought you could take it.

Good things about Aberdeen this morning - my friends, one of which is coming to give me a lift to the vet.

Bad things about Aberdeen this morning - taxis are too expensive. The buses are the worst I've ever seen. It's a horribly grey day as far as I can see.

Bad 3 - 1 Good, and it's only 9 in the morning.

1. Why the fuck would you need a taxi? Aberdeen is so small that you can literally walk most places, and when you can't, you get a bus, which while expensive are still significantly cheaper than a taxi.
  2. Moan all you like about the buses, but you only really need them when going into town from somewhere far away, or going to the college or something. Again, walking takes very little time and is good for you (minus the passive smoking). I'll give you that they're not very good but a lot of the time they're only ridden by lazy people or people a long way away from the city.
  3. Personally I find grey quite a soothing colour, certainly better than the dull brown of the countryside. In any case, being in one place for ages will make you want to see other places, so even if Aberdeen was bright yellow everywhere you'd eventually find that dull.

• Upvote 1