aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

Looking at a few strategy games, a genre I've never really tried.  What would people recommend over Age of Empires, Civilisation V, Command and Conquer or SimCity (not really strategy game, I suppose)? 

Out of those, Civ.  It's the easiest to pick up the basics and will just suck you in. Though I haven't played Civ V...

Looking at a few strategy games, a genre I've never really tried. What would people recommend over Age of Empires, Civilisation V, Command and Conquer or SimCity (not really strategy game, I suppose)?

You should check out Baldurs Gate EE. It's an RPG foremost, but also fairly strategic. Plus swords and magic.

• Upvote 1

Civ 5. As mentioned above, I've been playing it recently, highly addictive... not sure if it's better than Civ 4 though, and a lot of people seem to detest the AI in the fifth incarnation. Both Civ 4 and 5 are supposed to be vastly improved by the respective expansions; I've never tried any yet though,

I also tried getting into Paradox games with Crusader Kings II, think I'll have to wait until I have hours to spend on youtube watching tutorials though...

Got Civ 5 last night and had a bash at it.  Was randomly assigned India; does the country make a big difference?  It's a heck of a lot to get your head around.  I think I'll have to pick up some kind of walkthrough while I get the hang of what I'm supposed to be doing! 

Got Civ 5 last night and had a bash at it.  Was randomly assigned India; does the country make a big difference?  It's a heck of a lot to get your head around.  I think I'll have to pick up some kind of walkthrough while I get the hang of what I'm supposed to be doing! 

In earlier Civ games the country you start with gives you different starting technologies, special units and things later in the game like different golden ages.

To start with all you need to care about is founding cities and exploring. That's phase one of the game. Found a city, build a warrior to defend it, then get a settler to ping out and found another one.  Keep them close enough to trade and far enough away so they don't share resources.  Then once you have a few cities switch some settlers to automatically build improvements like roads and farms and start building your military in earnest.

That's how I start games of Civ anyway. After that you'll probably have encountered other countries and you're into the diplomacy/warfare stage of the game and it gets a bit more complicated.

Each civ gets two unique units and some kind of general bonus in Civ 5, which are based on some national stereotype (India actually had a "hard worker" unit or something in number 4). India's bonus will probably be something to do with building stuff. Because there are several ways to win a game, it's best to pick a strategy that complements the civ's strengths, so for India you'd want to focus on science and building rather than military conquests or hoarding money. On easier difficulties it won't matter too much though, Similarly, you can probably ignore a lot of stuff and still win, on easier settings: you probably don't have to micromanage what squares your cities are working and can just automate the workers rather than deciding yourself what to build.

The civilisations do make a big difference to the way the AI plays though. If you're playing against Gandhi he'll be easy going; you just have to worry about him outbuilding you. Whereas if you're next to Napoleon and Ghengis Khan, prepare to get attacked a lot.

• Upvote 1

Each civ gets two unique units and some kind of general bonus in Civ 5, which are based on some national stereotype (India actually had a "hard worker" unit or something in number 4). India's bonus will probably be something to do with building stuff. Because there are several ways to win a game, it's best to pick a strategy that complements the civ's strengths, so for India you'd want to focus on science and building rather than military conquests or hoarding money. On easier difficulties it won't matter too much though, Similarly, you can probably ignore a lot of stuff and still win, on easier settings: you probably don't have to micromanage what squares your cities are working and can just automate the workers rather than deciding yourself what to build.

The civilisations do make a big difference to the way the AI plays though. If you're playing against Gandhi he'll be easy going; you just have to worry about him outbuilding you. Whereas if you're next to Napoleon and Ghengis Khan, prepare to get attacked a lot.

I'd suggest playing your first few games on the largest map size. You've a better chance of building up a decent network of cities/soldiers before meeting too many other players.

If i'm choosing a civ to play as I go with Egypt for a peaceful win, they rule at building wonders or China if I want to fight everyone. Mostly I play on random though, more fun to set out without a gameplan. 

Trials Fusion.

I've spoke about the Trials games before. I love them. Really love them. Redlynx did a terrific job with making a truly amazing, original, indie game.

Then along came Ubisoft.

The game is nothing more than a reskin with tracks that probably could have been made in the Trials Evolution map editor. Some shite narrative which I turned off cos it was so fucking annoying, they've removed online multiplayer and only left in local, theres about a third of as many skill games... yadda yadda yadda.

Feels nothing more than Ubisoft buying a game and rushing out a sequel so they can cash in on it while it's popular.

Fuck Ubisoft.

Edited by Teabags