aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

Yeah that's exactly what happened to me but I decided not to download it and cracked on with I am alive.

Does anyone know when the next episode of the walking dead game is out?

Out tomorrow/today depending on when you read this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-26-the-walking-dead-episode-2-staggers-onto-xbla-tomorrow

Dawnguard is out now too. Anyone bought it? I only have 1400 MSP left so can't buy it anyway. Holding on for updates on bugs and if it is actually worth the money. Might just keep those points until Tony Hawks HD comes out. Will see how the demo plays. D-pad on xbox is rubbish which may pose a big problem.

For anyone who hasn't seen it: Summer of Arcade lineup

• 18th July: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, 1200 Points
  • 25th July: Wreckateer, 800 Points
  • 1st August: Deadlight, 1200 Points
  • 8th August: Hybrid, 1200 Points
  • 15th August: Dust: An Elysian Tail, 1200 Points

Deadlight looks promising too. Kinda like a zombie puzzle version of Shadow Complex with a Limbo inspired visual style.

The missus has just bought Skyrim. I've got not interest in it myself, but from watching her play it and from the amount people rave about it, I expected the graphics to be alot better. It looks quite 'blocky' compared to Rockstar games. The actual dynamics of the game look a bit poor. Just watched her slash some massive spider to death and despite the spider dying, it didn't look like the sword ever touched it. What's all the fuss about?

To someone who doesn't like RPG's it is hard to explain the appeal :p It is more about immersion in the world/story and interactions than 'zomg i shot that pillar and the roof fell down and crushed that enemy'. Destructible scenery and realistic ragdoll physics are not really the raison d'être of RPG's.

The combat aspect of Skyrim is crap anyway. By far and away the worst part and requires no tactical nuance. Block -> attack -> WIN and you can throw in a few spells if you feel adventurous. Other games do a better job of making the fights more believable by at least reflecting some of the damage on character models but again it is nowhere near as flashy as FPS/action games.

• Upvote 1

I finally completed Arkham City at the weekend, then set about all the side missions. I spent a good hour tonight going round picking up riddles and wiping out all the armed goons, then I went and did another mission and when I came back all the armed goons had respawned, annoyingly, right around the place I need to get into (subway entrance). Arsed with sneaking around killing them all again. Aff. Bed.

The missus has just bought Skyrim. I've got not interest in it myself, but from watching her play it and from the amount people rave about it, I expected the graphics to be alot better. It looks quite 'blocky' compared to Rockstar games. The actual dynamics of the game look a bit poor. Just watched her slash some massive spider to death and despite the spider dying, it didn't look like the sword ever touched it. What's all the fuss about?

I can only guess she's playing it on an INFERIOR MACHINE LOLZ. The PS3 and XBox versions are much blockier and look far worse than the PC counterpart but that's to be expected (I played it on a PS3, and it looked pretty good to my eyes). The fighting is a bit hack-and-slash and as soon as you craft the best weapons and armour in the game everything except the dragons and some enemies (that will remain unspoiled ;) ) become a complete pisstake. It's more about immersing yourself in the storylines and the sidequests and all the rest of it.

I've completed the next episode of the walking dead. Story was really good. Excited for the next one now!

I had a crack of that DayZ the other night round my mates house. Currently pricing up a PC that can play it. Holy fuck it's good. Running around a woods at night being chased by zombies with a Danish fella with very poor English is a terrifying experience!

It's a bit glitchy though :( Supposedly a wee update coming out soon though.

• Upvote 1

I can only guess she's playing it on an INFERIOR MACHINE LOLZ. The PS3 and XBox versions are much blockier and look far worse than the PC counterpart but that's to be expected (I played it on a PS3, and it looked pretty good to my eyes). The fighting is a bit hack-and-slash and as soon as you craft the best weapons and armour in the game everything except the dragons and some enemies (that will remain unspoiled ;) ) become a complete pisstake. It's more about immersing yourself in the storylines and the sidequests and all the rest of it.

I'm comparing it visually to stuff like Red Dead and LA Noire. I now I expect all games to look that incredible.

I'm comparing it visually to stuff like Red Dead and LA Noire. I now I expect all games to look that incredible.

I've not played Red Dead, and LA Noire's people look fucking weird to be honest with you - really nice faces, then nothing below their necks seems to move. Freaky.

But yeah, remember also that Skyrim is an absolutely huge game with a whole fucktonne of environment to render and characters to voice so I think you can let slightly ropey graphics slide ;)

The game I really want is Sniper Elite 2. Looks like a right laugh. That or Sims 3.

Just played chapter 1 of Walking Dead. Bought it sight-unseen not knowing what to expect. Really, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to playing again and making some different choices.

xx

Episode 2 is pretty awesome!

I want to play it back through and be a total dick. I don't like being a dick in games though.

Just like real life then.

Yeah I suppose, but in videogames the choices always seem very clear cut. Good or bad, right or wrong.

It's refreshing to have to make choices that aren't straight forward and that affect your relationships with individual characters.

Mass Effect let you shape individual relationships to a certain degree, but ultimately that was just to decide who you shagged in that cut-scene.

Video games seem to be really dumbed down these days. I guess it's to maximise the potential market for a game but it's getting a bit silly. First Person games are probably the worst for it. I remember spending hours and hours trying to finish a Quake 2 level. Lost as fuck wandering around on an alien planet with very little ammo. It was an exciting experience. Nowadays you start off facing the direction of the end of the level and you just walk forward shooting boys and watching pre scripted events. Bore!

Yeah I suppose, but in videogames the choices always seem very clear cut. Good or bad, right or wrong.

It's refreshing to have to make choices that aren't straight forward and that affect your relationships with individual characters.

Mass Effect let you shape individual relationships to a certain degree, but ultimately that was just to decide who you shagged in that cut-scene.

Video games seem to be really dumbed down these days. I guess it's to maximise the potential market for a game but it's getting a bit silly. First Person games are probably the worst for it. I remember spending hours and hours trying to finish a Quake 2 level. Lost as fuck wandering around on an alien planet with very little ammo. It was an exciting experience. Nowadays you start off facing the direction of the end of the level and you just walk forward shooting boys and watching pre scripted events. Bore!

I must admit I do get pretty bored of games that have a layout that means there's only one possible route from point A to point B and nowhere to get lost along the way.

I've always enjoyed being told "kill that guy" and having to decide if you want to sneak in, kill him and sneak out or destroy fucking everything... etc. Assassin's Creed is pretty good for this but if you want to get the 100% sync shit then it takes away the fun of getting to choose how you do things.

Arkham Asylum did it really well. Even though there was probably only a handful of ways to get through any given scene it didn't feel like you were being walked down a path with your hand held the whole way! Still haven't got Arkham City yet!

xx

they stole that idea from final fantasy 7!!!!

Your right i remember getting incredibly lost in old FPS games, now a days its simply walk forward blasting as many people as possible.

I fired on Zelda Oricana or time at the weekend, what a fucking game, even now it stands up against any new RPG. I used to love Zelda games, up to the point they released that stupid looking one on the cube. Shame on nintendo.

All this talk about games being shite has made me think about good games.

What's everyone here's top ten favorite games of all time?

1. Fallout 3 (Xb0x 360)
  2. Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (PC)
  3. Brothers In Arms : Earned In Blood (Xbox)
  4. Condemned (Xbox 360)
  5. The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind (Xbox)
  6. Command and Conquer Red Alert (PC)
  7. Bioshock (Xbox 360)
  8. Halo (Xbox 360)
  9. Unreal Tournament (PC)
  10. Grim Fandango (PC)

I must admit I do get pretty bored of games that have a layout that means there's only one possible route from point A to point B and nowhere to get lost along the way.

I've always enjoyed being told "kill that guy" and having to decide if you want to sneak in, kill him and sneak out or destroy fucking everything... etc. Assassin's Creed is pretty good for this but if you want to get the 100% sync shit then it takes away the fun of getting to choose how you do things.

Arkham Asylum did it really well. Even though there was probably only a handful of ways to get through any given scene it didn't feel like you were being walked down a path with your hand held the whole way! Still haven't got Arkham City yet!

xx

Arkham City is a lot more free roaming. Although the main mission is linear, you can do it at your own pace and fuck around doing all the side missions and stuff if you get bored. It's way bigger as well, and a lot harder, and the fighting is much cooler. The first one is still better though. Being locked in a prison gives the game way more atmosphere than having a whole city to roam around in.

Holy fuck that's a hard one!

As series' go, I'd have (in no order)

Halo

Gears of War

Bioshock

Starcraft

Command and Conquer

CoD

Assassin's Creed

Arkham (assuming City is as good as Asylum)

Tekken

Street Fighter (including Marvel vs Capcom).

I think. Individial games would be a long and troublesome job to narrow down to 10, more so to order them!

xx

I'm exclusively a console player, but these are the games that I've loved the most through my computer gaming years:

1. Metal Gear Solid

2. Final Fantasy 7

3. Resident Evil 4

4. Fallout 3 (although I never actually completed the main quest...)

5. Fifa 12

6. MGS: Snake Eater

7. ES5: Skyrim

8. GTA: Vice City

9. WWF: Smackdown 2

10.Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.