aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

Yeah, I have NBA 2k10 and don't have a scooby how to play it. Might give it another bash some day, but the first 2 hours - or so - that I played it I didn't have a clue what was going on. I thought it would be easy. Basketball is well easy.

I spend a lot of my time on the "become a pro" or whatever it's called mode, and made the mistake of actually giving a shit when we went behind. This meant I would shoot for 3 pointers all the time and my team-mate grade thing would plummet with every miss. Once I realised it was a case of following the markers on the ground and making rebounds, it got a lot easier. Still fucking weird though.

Diablo 3.

Its like Diablo 2, but better.

Diablo 3 gameplay looks like this (in spoilers 'cos it's big):

Gauntlet_Legends_-_1999_-_Midway_Games.jpg

I spent a couple of the less sunny days at home rocking NHL 12 and fucking loving it. I'm not a massive sports game guy generally, but it's pretty much got it all. First one I've played since NHL 96 on the Megadrive, so the Be a Pro part is a fucking delight. My guy is a shite hockey player with all his stats poured into being a total pitbull who regularly fights guys twice his size.

Also, despite having no idea what the rules of ice hockey are, I reckon that the basics were pretty easily picked up.

People got bored of 12 pretty quickly it seems. The new defending system is practically impossible to fully master, and it's annoying to just watch nippy wingers dance through your entire defence. Unless you get it mega cheap, I'd just wait til September for 13. They are suggesting the engine has been given a complete overhaul.

Smash bastards into the glass and start fights? A goal or two probably helps, I suppose.

Seems to be the long and short of it. There's some stuff about icing (which makes me hungry), and the goalie can just lie on the puck and ruin everyones' fun. Five minutes sitting down and cooling your jets for smacking some Canadian dude in the face is easy time though.

I don't understand icing either. Something about the puck crossing too many lines.

It's something like when the puck is played out of defence from behind the halfway line and is picked up past the other teams goal line by an attacking player, that's icing. It's basically offside. It's fine if a defender gets the puck. I think. I could Wiki it but I can't be fucked, so that'll do for me.

People got bored of 12 pretty quickly it seems. The new defending system is practically impossible to fully master, and it's annoying to just watch nippy wingers dance through your entire defence. Unless you get it mega cheap, I'd just wait til September for 13. They are suggesting the engine has been given a complete overhaul.

The defending system doesn't sound like it is being changed really. The attacking play is being totally overhauled though. The skilled dribbing controls in FIFA 12 are incredibly effective if you have good acceleration but only in close proximity. In real terms the actual speed difference between the fast and slow players isn't that big and I often find slow defenders catching up to my super speedy players (95 acceleration and sprint speed- my FIFA teams are like Swansea, I love buying fast players! Fast and strong is even better. My favourite signing was a striker called Jackson Martinez, 75 rated and makes the championship so easy and is good for the major leagues too). This is of course the AI though. Playing against a human makes everything easier!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-15-fifa-13-introduces-complete-dribbling-first-touch-control

EA Sports has officially lifted the wraps on FIFA 13 and introduced this year's big gameplay improvements, with Complete Dribbling, First Touch Control and Attacking Intelligence all coming to this year's model.

Complete Dribbling's a feature that's partly inspired by this year's FIFA Street reboot, allowing players to dance around the ball and face their opponents at all times.

First Touch Control, meanwhile, adds a more random element when players take the ball, with player attributes now playing a larger role in the control of a ball.

Elsewhere, additions have been made to the Impact Engine that was introduced in FIFA 12, with some of the more notable bugs being ironed out and with a

greater emphasis placed on off-the-ball physicality.

I did a quick bit of googleing to see if any defensive changes had been touted and found this saying the defending in FIFA 12 was a piece of piss http://ultimatefifa.com/2012/the-contain-defending-debate-fifa-13-and-beyond/ I never found it that way at all! Contain was useful but it you made even the slightest positioning error the AI would through ball and bypass your entire defence. It was much harder than just spamming the press button like previous games.

It's something like when the puck is played out of defence from behind the halfway line and is picked up past the other teams goal line by an attacking player, that's icing. It's basically offside. It's fine if a defender gets the puck. I think. I could Wiki it but I can't be fucked, so that'll do for me.

If the defender can even see the puck for their bloody tears, my enforcer isn't doing his job.

• Upvote 1

I did a quick bit of googleing to see if any defensive changes had been touted and found this saying the defending in FIFA 12 was a piece of piss http://ultimatefifa.com/2012/the-contain-defending-debate-fifa-13-and-beyond/ I never found it that way at all! Contain was useful but it you made even the slightest positioning error the AI would through ball and bypass your entire defence. It was much harder than just spamming the press button like previous games.

Well, the new defensive system is very hard to get used to, but it does mean that you now have to actually think about what you're doing in defence rather than mashing your thumb against the "tackle" button. It does however mean that with the right combination of pacey attackers a human defence is merely butter to your hot knife. I've played people online who are fantastic at defending, but far more people who are better at attacking play.

I don't think EA would be right to undo this new system, and I don't think they will (you can turn it off in settings, if you didn't know), since it makes defending more difficult and therefore more of a challenge. I do miss being able to just hold down the X button until you have the ball back, but it's hardly a challenge to do it that way.

My hint for defending in FIFA 12 - hold down the contain button and only tackle when you're sure you're going to get the ball away. Use teammate contain a *lot* but be wary of stretching your defence.

Almost. If the puck is dumped in from within the attacking teams half and crosses the goal line and is picked up by a member of the defending team, it's icing. If an attacking player gets their first (but remained onside) then the icing is negated. However, a team can ice the puck from anywhere if they are short-handed/on a penalty kill.

And I'm assuming everyone knows that the offside is simply that the puck has to enter the offensive zone before any attacking player. Once the puck is across that blue line, players can setup anywhere so long as the puck stats in the offensive zone. Nothing like the football offside rule.