aberdeen-music

What game are you currently playing?

Lemonade

The golden days of the survival horror genre are over though. Peeked during the PS2 life time. Anyone ever played Fatal Frame? Terrifying! I remember playing Cold Fear as well. It was ace too! I'm tempted to start a blog where I review old survival horror games on the PS2. I'll have to go amazon shopping on payday though!

I started a retro games blog once, reviewing old 16 bit games, I got bored of pretty quickly though when I realised it was going to take waaaaay too much time to actually play through the games and then write about them. I think it's still online somewhere. Er..... ah yes. http://cartridgeslot.blogspot.com/

• Upvote 1

Anyone got any Zombie game recommendations? Not the biggest fan of CoD Zombies, I prefer more RPG-style Zombie games. Is Dead Island worth picking up? Anyone got a copy of Dead Rising they'll flog on for tuppence?

The obvious good Zombie games or games with Zombie content are ...

1. The Resident Evil series which are great ('cept Operation Raccoon City which is a shit Gears of War clone)

2. The Silent Hill series for all the reasons that Moose listed in this thread and the fact that they have more atmosphere than a super giant planet with some kind of magic alien atmosphere - and fucking Pyramid Head!

3. Dead Rising, a Dawn of the Dead inspired game - with really frustrating cinematic camera angles - that is as repetitive as hell

4. Dead Island, similar to the above and equally repetitive (killing Zombies is an absolute chore in this game), but with a far more user-friendly 1st-person perspective.

Both 3 and 4 have jaw-dropping cinematic intros, that make the actual games all the more disappointing.

1 and 2 have the advantage of offering a variety of munnsters and enemies for when you tire of killing zombies - and you will tire of it!

If you want to kill the fuck of dead things, but don't care if they're no longer entirely human, have a look at Dead Space 1 & 2. Scary as hell and one of the few games that have actually made me jump away from the screen.

And remember .. aim for the head :)

I started a retro games blog once, reviewing old 16 bit games, I got bored of pretty quickly though when I realised it was going to take waaaaay too much time to actually play through the games and then write about them. I think it's still online somewhere. Er..... ah yes. http://cartridgeslot.blogspot.com/

So after depositing £40 of hard-saved pocket money at the local toy shop, I literally sprinted all the way home, called my best friend and yelled something along the lines of "I'VE GOT ALEX KIDD IN ENCHANTED CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!" and hung up the phone, and by the time I had switched on the Megadrive he had sprinted round from his house to come and WATCH ME PLAY IT. Remember when you used to get THAT excited about games?

I remember!

There seriously isn't enough scary games anymore!

What was the Zombie game that came out quite a few years ago for the Xbox i think, im sure you were fighting your way through shopping malls or something, and you could pick up bits of wood and stuff to kill the zombies with?

Dead rising. Had the potential to be good but it ended up being really cheesey.

Fuck yeah, Die Hard was awesome.

Was Die Hard not just a copy of Goldeneye?

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy 7

Street Fighter 2

The Secret Of Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge

Football Manager (they've evolved over the years but to pick a season would be ridiculous)

Sensible World Of Soccer

Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters

Heavy Rain

Grand Theft Auto 2

Gauntlet 2

I omitted call of duty mainly because the only good thing about them these days is the multiplayer. They have the foundations for creating a really good co-op game but just choose to ignore that. Madness.

Yeah the single player COD is mighty boring, would be a hit with two people tho. Thats why Halo is slightly better, the multiplayer story mode is great fun.

I wish COD would go back to WW2. All this make believe, terrorist, hi tech bullshit is boring. AC-130? SR-71? Fuck that. Give me a M1 Garand and some bunkers to clear.

COD 2 is still the best one for me. Great campaign and fantastic fair and balanced multiplayer. Villers-Bocage is probably the best multiplayer map of all time as well.

homer_drool_1.gif

I think Keven Keegans football manager also deserves a special mention, i got my Champ bug from that game.

TMNT on the nes also deserves an hourable mention, one of the few games i still cannot complete because its too hard, anyone who has done the last mission on that game is just lying, its not possible.

Was Die Hard not just a copy of Goldeneye?

It wasn't. It had 3 different game modes for each of the 3 movies. Die Hard 1 was a 3rd person shooter. Die Hard 2 was an aim and shoot scrolling-shooter, like Time Crisis or whatever, and Die Hard 3 was some mental driving game where you had to hit checkpoints dotted around the city before your car exploded.

It was excellent.

• Upvote 2