aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2012

Soda Jerk

What's the steam limitation?

I believe he means you have to install and register through Steam regardless of whether you buy through Steam or buy the physical copy?

On that - Steam is a pile of shit. Picks and chooses when it wants to let me play the game. Sometimes it's better starting up when I'm connected to the Internet, sometimes when I'm offline. My Internet connection is dodgy at the moment because Sky are running their 'first ten days tests' and it's a fucking hassle trying to do anything with Steam without the Internet. GUH.

Ah but that extra fiver means I get to play it tonight instead of waiting for it to be sent out.

Good point well made.

What's the steam limitation?

You're forced to run Steam in the background as you play (obviously not an issue if you bought it on Steam in the first place really)

EDIT: That was posted after all yous since it didn't load the posts, shut up.

In offline mode Steam is currently using 15kbs or RAM on my laptop, if you cannot spare that your playing on an abacus, the RAM thing is a non issue really .I always keep it in offline mode because it can be a bit temperamental, although its much better than it used to be, not had any downtime on FM this year so far :)

SI have also said using Steam this year has massively increased their sales figures, so i dont see it changing any time soon.

Well, I'm running a Macbook Pro so my opinion of Steam is probably skewed somewhat; it only heats up enough to turn the fans on on certain, heavy-duty programs (Garageband, big Flash files, etc) and Steam is one of them, so yeah.

SI have also said using Steam this year has massively increased their sales figures, so i dont see it changing any time soon.

...Through Steam, I would imagine. And SI wouldn't really say "our sales have stayed pretty much the same" or even "our sales have dropped", would they?

If you have to have steam regardless of where you purchase it, you might as well get it straight from steam. That's my guess.

I haven't got FM2012 - I'm not ready to let go of my FM2011 game yet.

The year is 2015 and I'm in my 5th season as manager of Carlisle United. At the time of reopening my save game last night I was 19th in the Championship, a mere 2 points above the relegation zone with 6 games left having won 3 of my last 19 games. It was the worst run of form I'd had since the 2011/12 season when I finished rock bottom of the Championship having failed to win a game before the new year. That's what an accidental play off final win and a wage budget of 35k a week will get you.

I lost my next 2 games 5-1 against top of the table Leeds and 2-1 against play-off bound Norwich. 21st now, still 2 points clear of Forest and QPR with Preston miles behind but falling fast. 4 games left. A dire situation.

Going to see where a bold 4-3-3 strategy gets me tonight against bottom of the table Preston. I've still got games against Forest and Cardiff (18th at the moment) to come. No pressure...

Regardless of where you bought it from or if it's a boxed copy?

Regardless. You can't run FM 2012 without steam. I don't like the concept of having to sign up for something i don't use otherwise just to play something i already have the disc for.

There are a lot of people refusing to buy it as a result, myself included.

I didn't realise that. Your post this morning makes more sense now :)

I can see why it would put some people off but I guess for a lot of PC gamers it's become pretty rare not to have it installed already. I like steam because it means I don't have to have the discs lying around to play the game and it makes spur of the moment purchases ridiculously (annoyingly) easy.

Regardless. You can't run FM 2012 without steam. I don't like the concept of having to sign up for something i don't use otherwise just to play something i already have the disc for.

There are a lot of people refusing to buy it as a result, myself included.

Totally with you on this. Fucked registering with Steam which fucks up all the time for me, after I've paid for the disc. Bought 2010, not buying again.

Also, me and Euan are on our third season of LMA 07 and it's going pretty well.

I'm also against Steam. My laptop is pretty old and limited, and the RAM is pretty low, so I'm sticking with FM09. I have a mint game with Wycombe Wanderers, sitting top of the Premier League in my sixth season and raping the Champions League, having taking control of them at the start of the game in League 2. With the much maligned 4-4-2 formation. Piece of piss. I always want to find ways of maximising what key attributes my players possess. FM09 is basically an advanced Excel spreadsheet (and I fucking love an Excel spreadsheet!), so if you understand how the match engine processes the formulae, the game becomes pretty simplistic. Vadim Demidov at centre-half is an absolute fucking monster. Man Utd and Chelsea keep trying to lure him away, but they can fuck right off. Total cock-slits. Their £35 million offers are thankfully being rejected by my board, despite expecting them to intercept and accept the bid, deeming it "too good to turn down". Ivor Beeks, I heart you.

I have another Everton start on the go. I finished 4th in my first season and won the League Cup, and I'm now in my sixth season having stormed the Premier League every season since, winning 4 FA Cups and 4 League Cups. Frustratingly, I have only managed the semi-finals of the Champions League so far. This season is the season. After 25 leagues games I've won them all apart from two draws away to each of the big Manchester teams. Chelsea are second, about 20 points behind me already. With that taken care of, and Oscar Cardozo, Marquinhos, and Wayne Rooney (I bought him for £64 million at the end of the fourth season) are all banging in around 30 goals per season each, the Champions League will be mine. I satisfyingly pumped Liverpool 6-0 in the FA Cup semi-final two seasons ago, but on the flipside, my fixture congestion meant that for one midweek game against Chelsea last season, 90% of my first team and reserve squad were away on international duty of some sort, so I could literally only field two senior players and the rest were all U18 regens and greyed out players that the game installed into the game purely so that I could field 11 players! They could only beat me 6-0 at the Bridge. Fucking losers. That was only one of two games I lost that season in the league. I fucking love Football Manager.

To play even FM09, my computer can only really perform at a decent speed when I go into my laptop's start up configuration and only use basic start up items; so when I am running the game, nothing else is interfering with it. Therefore, going online to play/register/whatever via Steam just isn't viable. I will not be purchasing any future Football Manager releases if Steam is required, unless I ever find myself in a position to upgrade my laptop. Big pity that, Championship Manager and Football Manager have been constants in my life for about twenty years now. And perhaps FM09 will be for another twenty years.

Game on!

2gt4vtc.jpg

91 points, City? Not good enough. And to think the fans doubted me after selling that fucking scouse potato head. I knew Berbatov and Welbeck would fill that big eared void. Nani stepped up. n'all. 18 goals from wide midfield, and he had a ton of injuries. Valencia won Player's Player of the Year too, because he's the fucking boss.

Quadruple. Eat that. I better get a mountain of cash to spend in the Summer, or I'm going to bomb the Glazers' house. I dunno if you can do that in the game. Perhaps it's in the Database Editor.

Tiote's getting the boot. Can't complete 90 minutes. Always wants a rest. Always miserable. Get fucked, big head.

So Cavani has (thankfully) started scoring because Tevez has gone mental. I fined him for another horror tackle against Barcelona at the Camp Nou in an important Champions League game (which saw him sent off and leaving me with nine men as Hangeland had been ordered off for a last-man challenge earlier in the game). Lost 5-0.

He said I was being unfair and was disrupting morale and generally being a whiney little cuntrag. Transfer listed him and offered to clubs for £20m - Real Madrid and Barcelona place bids matching my asking price. He agrees to move to Madrid but only if I pay him £38k a week until the end of his contract (three years). Figure this is a small price to pay to restore harmony to the dressing room and accept. He's now training with the reserves until he fucks off.

Have been shipping goals a bit too easily of late, so have used the Tevez cash, complete with an injection from the board of £9.5m to agree to sign Phil Jones from United for £36.5m. Seems a bit steep, perhaps, but he's signed a five-year deal and is still only 21. Going to be a beast. Will probably ship out Younes Kaboul to recoup some of the cash. There are about 15 clubs interested in him, will probably get close to £15m.

Also agreed to sign Oscar Cardozo for a measly £2.5m. He's 30 and top scorer in Europe at present. He will replace Tevez so I will still have the four strikers I need.

Adler, Foster

Van der Wiel, Walker, Dawson, Bassong, Hangeland, Jones, Bale, Cinilla

Parker, Sandro, Huddlestone, Modric

Di Maria, Van der Vaart, Eriksen, Lennon, Affelay, Marin, Forrest

Cavani, Cardozo, Destro, Defoe

Cardozo is the only striker you will ever need, I always sign him. £2.5mm is astonishingly low.