aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Best thing about that picture is all black boots. No white or neon yellow and orange ballet shoes. Big blocky Preddys. FOOTBALL!

What the picture doesn't show is how far Stam ran to get to him, and how he kept hassling him after that. Can't remember what the decision was for. Might have been for a throw-in on the half way line.

Amazing video. He got so bad so quickly. Just like Alan Smith (suxx you had both of them in the team, at the same time). Both were awesome in their peaks. Butt especially. There's no Youtube montage of his best moments, so maybe he wasn't good. I thought all sort of, kinda competent players had a Youtube montage? Even Gabriel Obertan has a fucking montage.

He's lost the plot a bit over the past few weeks, with the "injury crisis" and then getting pissy about Rooney's hand gesture (which was 2 fingers, not a card wave) yet it's okay for him to do it on the sidelines two weeks in a row.

You know what's gonna happen the day before the game against United at Eastlands, 3rd to last week of the season - It'll be words along the lines of "I'd love it if we beat them. Love it!"

Card-waving is wenk, but I can definitely see where Mancini is coming from. Hand gestures are a huge part of communication in Italy. I've just started learning Italian, and one of the first things I was told to do was learn some hand gestures as they are universally-known and negate the need to grasp region-specific colloquialisms. Italian conversations are very animated, and you could probably go to Italy without knowing a word of the language and still get-by okay just by using your hands. For Mancini, card-waving is probably instinctive.

Not that I like it (card-waving is one of the most childish, wankerish things a grown man can do on a football pitch), but I can cut Mancini some slack in this situation.

I have absolutely no problem with Mancini making a card gesture. None.

Almost agreed. I don't see why on earth this seems one of the great taboos in British football. It's no worse (but certainly not any better) than Rooney pointing out to the ref that Kompany went in two footed. Or any player screaming in the ref's face for a card. Or running 70 yards to get involved.

Players hounding the ref and trying to get other players sent off IS a problem in the game, and something I hate seeing, but it's absolutely bizarre how an imaginary card-wave gets treated over here. When Mancini first did it (I haven't seen this 2nd one) the two commentators were saying "that is truly dreadful, I'm sure Mancini will be hugely sorry for this and deliver an apology in his post-match interview". And it was the first question posed to him in the interview and he just shrugged it off. Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

Exactly, it's the hypocrisy of (some) people who complain about it that annoys me. Players, managers and fans are always communicating exactly the same thing but they do it through angry shouting rather than a hand gesture but for some reason British fans and media see the hand gesture as 10 times worse. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I complain about it because I hate foreigners.

LOL

No really, all dissent is awful, but I think the fake hand gesture is complained about more because it is more visible, whereas you can't really see exactly what a player is saying to the referee. Any act of trying to influence the referee should be punished. Referees were instructed to bring the hammer down on dissent, but very few ever do. As with diving, if there were harsher punishments, less players and managers would continue to break the laws of the game which referees are too soft to clamp down on. The referees in rugby league are hard as nails and don't take any shit from anyone, and when they do, they are sin binned or told where to go. Dissent has minimised in the game due to referees having zero tolerance from players being gobshites. If that could transfer to football, the game would benefit, but referees are soft.

I blame Liverpool. Not sure exactly why, but it must be their fault. Fucking horrid cunts.