aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

There's chat today that Wenger may move to Madrid - possible he might walk away from Arsenal if they don't make top four this year, and it would be a new challenge for him. It must be getting pretty stale at Arsenal, same old struggle every year.

Rumour was he turned down a mega deal from PSG in the summer. It's him that's chosen to stay so long, he loves London apparantly. He also clearly loves the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16711526.stm

If this is true, then his agent is a chump, and Mario is a chump too. Don't stamp on other player's heads, and you won't get persecuted by referees. He's had a fair chunk of red cards, and all of them have been justified pretty much. Not being a dick on the pitch is a good place to start.

I think this is just a poorly conceiled and ill-advised act of passive aggression. Balotelli is publically doing all of this altruistic stuff in order to gain favour and be adored - not just by City fans - but by the nation as a whole. It's a pretty good attempt at being recognised as the special person he clearly longs to be. He's had a shit life, and he wants a bit of stardom and acceptance in his adult life. It's as if he wants English football (and the wider society) to be in his debt so that he can get away with all sorts of misdemeanours both on and off the pitch. But Mario, if you evidently strike another footballer with intent, then you are a fucking moron and a cheat; I don't give a fuck how much petrol you pay for, or how many homeless people you feed.

Mario Balotelli is a clown without a circus.

• Upvote 1

Rumour was he turned down a mega deal from PSG in the summer. It's him that's chosen to stay so long, he loves London apparantly. He also clearly loves the club.

Oh definitely, he's met with the Real Madrid president a couple of times too but never fancied it.

He's created something pretty special at Arsenal from a development point of view (which I presume will mix with buying decent established talent once the stadium is paid off)...Madrid could perhaps be doing with a similar model. Although unlikely he'd manage to poach a bunch of youngsters from Barca this way like he normally does.

Oh definitely, he's met with the Real Madrid president a couple of times too but never fancied it.

He's created something pretty special at Arsenal from a development point of view (which I presume will mix with buying decent established talent once the stadium is paid off)...Madrid could perhaps be doing with a similar model. Although unlikely he'd manage to poach a bunch of youngsters from Barca this way like he normally does.

Straight swap with Mourinho and Wenger. Would help both teams possibly. Madrid would certainly get what they want, Mourinho would get to be in England at a club with youth talent and now the stadium is almost paid off there is money going to be available at Arsenal if not the wages of the sugar daddy clubs. He could do something there.

An interesting thought anyway.

I dunno, spurs fans are enjoying their team playing some of the best football in England right now, Jose's teams do not play good fast flowing football. Plus Spurs ( no offence ment here) are not a big enough club for him, when he comes back to England it will be for one of the very top jobs, United, City or even Chelsea, but i can't see him ever going to Spurs.

When they become a club with the pulling power to match the big boys, right now they are not at that level, im not bellitling spurs or saying they are a tiny club, but they do not compare to United, City and Chelsea in terms of attracting the best players. So far Spurs have had 1 season in the champs league, and missed out this year, they need to regularly be there, not just fleeting apperances every couple of years.

Although i will say they prob would go hand in hand quite well, Spurs are a horrible club, Jose is a horrible person by all accounts.

I dunno, spurs fans are enjoying their team playing some of the best football in England right now, Jose's teams do not play good fast flowing football. Plus Spurs ( no offence ment here) are not a big enough club for him, when he comes back to England it will be for one of the very top jobs, United, City or even Chelsea, but i can't see him ever going to Spurs.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in modern football. It's just not true. It is not the primary focus of his teams, that is winning and as a result sometimes good football is sacrificed but all his teams have been capable of playing outstandingly entertaining football.

I honestly don't think Mourinho would take the Arsenal job. He at the very least would like to know there's a pot of money waiting to buy his 'type' of player, I think. Jose and Spurs are a much better fit IMO.

There will at least be the Fabregas/Nasri money surely. Because what Wenger spent was just some of the funds he had anyway.

I don't think Arsenal have lost their top club status just yet. They're still in the champions league for goodness sake. Unlike two of the other English top teams. They're the only one meeting financial fair play at the moment and they have the best (most modern well equipped/youth facilities) stadium.

I think Mourinho would at least seriously consider it.

I could see him at Spurs as well though. I don't think you can consider Spurs a top club yet they need to either win the EPL or get some consecutive Champions league seasons before they get that tag.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in modern football. It's just not true. It is not the primary focus of his teams, that is winning and as a result sometimes good football is sacrificed but all his teams have been capable of playing outstandingly entertaining football.

It is very true, Chelsea ill give you played some nice football at times, Inter very rarely did anything except pack the defence and rely on Eto and Millito to break very quickly and the biggest problem he has at Real is the style of football he is asking them to play, the Real fans hate the way he sets out his teams, they want to win, but not at any cost, Real have to win by playing good football, their fans hate seeing their team playing defensive and negative football, and because of this they have started booing him and turning against him. With the players he has at Real if they could not play good football their would be big problems, but its not because of the way he sets the team out, its because they are all top players.

But Real are only playing defensively in some of the games against Barca. In 95% of games they are playing probably the highest paced attacking football in Europe right now.

And it's a technicality but the fans in the last match weren't exactly booing him. Some fans started chanting pro Mourinho songs and the other fans booed this. They were more booing the fact that some were celebrating him after a clasico defeat than booing him himself.

Its easy to go gung ho against teams who get paid less as a squad than one of his bench players gets, the games that really count over there are the big ones against Barca and time after time he fails in these games, to the point it will probably cost him his job, the fact he plays defensive in these games says enough, especially to the fans of Real. They hate that, and from what i was reading and seeing last night the Real fans would prefer they go to the Nou camp and lose 4-0 but have a go, rather than win having sat back for 90 minutes. They are also seriously questioning the quality of players he has brought in, again they dont really fit into the ethos of Real and it is causing big problems for him.

Its all obviously speculation and stories, but the style of football Real play definitely works against him over there, he will not last another season unless he makes big changes to himself.

The only other one I can remember was for 2 yellows which was harsh, but I probably just can't remember any others. Him speaking of being victimised is stupid but so are all the people who suddenly think he's ruining the league. Sadly he's far from the only player in the country who's stamped on someone before.

Both extremes are silly. He's neither being victimised, nor is he ruining football as we know it, but he commits alot of fouls on the pitch, alot of which look rash and cynical and he has had a number of red cards since he arrived last season. He was shown a straight red on his first start for City for a high kick on West Brom's Mulumbu, which was pretty dangerous, reckless and completely needless. He got 3 red cards that season, and has 2 this season if you include the retrospective ban for the Parker stamp. The one at Liverpool was debatably soft, but he was still lunging in at everyone even though he was on a yellow, which any player knows not to do. Doesn't usually matter how soft the next foul is if he's on a yellow, a referee with a spine will be sending them off. 5 red cards in 1 and a half seasons is quite a record, and it does pretty much suggest he needs to reel it in a bit. I don't think he's a massive thug, but he's very brash, and seems to make stupid decisions, especially when it comes to kicking out. He's not a Lee Cattermole or a Stephen Hunt, hacking at everyones ankles. He's just a little bit of a loose cannon with a short fuse. If he stopped being a bit of a knob and allowing players to wind him up, he'd stop getting sent off. I like Mario Balotelli alot, but I think I prefer him off the pitch than on it.

What he did to Parker is unquestionably horrid, and other players do it too, and it is equally horrid. It's always an unacceptable incident, but when it's completely unprovoked, like it was on Parker, then it seems even worse, in my opinion. Harsher punishments for violent conduct are a must. It has no place in football, unless you're breaking Suarez's legs, then your team is awarded an additional 3 points.

Its easy to go gung ho against teams who get paid less as a squad than one of his bench players gets, the games that really count over there are the big ones against Barca and time after time he fails in these games, to the point it will probably cost him his job, the fact he plays defensive in these games says enough, especially to the fans of Real. They hate that, and from what i was reading and seeing last night the Real fans would prefer they go to the Nou camp and lose 4-0 but have a go, rather than win having sat back for 90 minutes. They are also seriously questioning the quality of players he has brought in, again they dont really fit into the ethos of Real and it is causing big problems for him.

Its all obviously speculation and stories, but the style of football Real play definitely works against him over there, he will not last another season unless he makes big changes to himself.

I partially agree with you but saying Real fans don't like the way the team are playing and they don't like they way they play against barca is different thing. There has been a very negative reaction after the latest clasico but in general Madrid fans have been extremely happy with the team and Mourinho this season. Also they haven't always gone the super defensive route. He has tried to play more openly against barca and they have suffered for it. What is likely to cost him is that he has tried various approaches and come up short not that he has played defensively against them.

And any Madrid fan saying he'd rather lose than win playing defensively is lying. Maybe they prefer playing open and losing heavily than losing when playing defensively but if they win they would take it whatever the cost.

I partially agree with you but saying Real fans don't like the way the team are playing and they don't like they way they play against barca is different thing. There has been a very negative reaction after the latest clasico but in general Madrid fans have been extremely happy with the team and Mourinho this season. Also they haven't always gone the super defensive route. He has tried to play more openly against barca and they have suffered for it. What is likely to cost him is that he has tried various approaches and come up short not that he has played defensively against them.

And any Madrid fan saying he'd rather lose than win playing defensively is lying. Maybe they prefer playing open and losing heavily than losing when playing defensively but if they win they would take it whatever the cost.

Normally i would completely agree on the fans thing, but this is Real, they are actually fucking mental over there, especially when it comes to their football club. Salgado on Revista was saying almost the same thing, as a player when he was at Real they would have much rather lost having played attacking good football than win having sat back and got a lucky break. Its mental i know, but it does appear to be the way over there.

You don't see many people openly supporting Madrid in Barcelona, but the few I know would take the win for sure. They certainly didn't care when they won the copa del rey last year and even when they went out of the Champions League after hacking Barca to pieces they didn't blame Mou or the style of play it was the Uefa conspiracy.

I have 3 Madrid fans in my evening class tonight. I'll ask them. 3. That'll be definitive proof. Except one has turned up in weeks. 2 will still do.

I thought Cardiff looked good last night and were worthy winners. Good to see so many real Scottish players doing well. Miller on form, Conway looked really good (although we have wingers ahead of him in the pecking order), Cowie is a composed player and SuperKev did the job when he came on.

Mon the Bluebirds! I hope Liverpool beat City so that Cardiff have a chance of winning.

• Upvote 1