aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

You know the world is comming to an end when you see someone suggesting Arsenal should replace Wenger with Steve Bruce after his so called "tactical blunder" on sunday, apparently taking off an 18 year old kid who was tiring and had been ill all week, on his first prem league start, for the the captain of Russia is one of the worst managerial decisions in wengers reign........now i know Arshavin is a bit pish now, but come on, what is going on in football now a days, when did we end up at this level of hysteria?

Bruce did a good job at Wigan. He assembled a tidy squad too, but then all the best players got pinched. Same happened at Sunderland eally. He just couldn't keep hold of strikers, as he watched Bent, Jones and Gyan all leave. I don't think he's that bad of a manager, but obviously not good enough to replace Wenger. Then again, I would argue Wenger isn't as good as is usually made out. He has no Plan B and if Arsenal fall behind, he'll just keep trying to plug away in the same fashion and hopefully get a goal. Their lack of success over the past 6 years or so is testament to that. Arsenal are good at spending wisely and selling on for profit at the right time, but as a tactical coach, I don't think he is one of the best in the league.

I like Mark Hughes alot. I think he's done a good job with what he's had available to him at each club. He seems to have a good tactical head, and never seems to lose his cool, especially for someone who was so physically imposing on the pitch, he's one of the calmest managers I've seen. I think he'll keep QPR up.

As much of an utterly nice guy he is, I think Roberto Martinez is one of the worst tacticians in the Premier League. Wigan always seem to have a crop of good exciting players, but he just can't ever get the best out of them.

Bruce did a good job at Wigan. He assembled a tidy squad too, but then all the best players got pinched. Same happened at Sunderland eally. He just couldn't keep hold of strikers, as he watched Bent, Jones and Gyan all leave. I don't think he's that bad of a manager, but obviously not good enough to replace Wenger. Then again, I would argue Wenger isn't as good as is usually made out. He has no Plan B and if Arsenal fall behind, he'll just keep trying to plug away in the same fashion and hopefully get a goal. Their lack of success over the past 6 years or so is testament to that. Arsenal are good at spending wisely and selling on for profit at the right time, but as a tactical coach, I don't think he is one of the best in the league.

Lack of success over the past 6 years also goes down to the Emirates though. They've only spent 85 million since 2006 because of the financial plan to pay for the stadium. Less than Middlesborough, Villa, Spurs, Liverpool, Sunderland and West Ham. Look how they've done. Wenger constantly gets the most done whilst spending the least of the top 5/6 teams. Spurs have spent 3 times as much 240+ mill and they are only now seeing some success.

You're right though he's not the best tactical manager in the league, he's not the worst either though. I can't think of many managers that could replace him.

Oh definitely. Wenger, or whoever is responisble for scouting out these unknown youngsters, should be lauded for their ability to compete on a shoestring budget. He's done good to maintain high finishes in the league in that respect, but he could do alot better to get the best out of his players, and also turn a game on its head when it's not going to plan. It seem thats when Arsenal go behind and are being frustrated, there's nothing else they can really do other than keep plugging away in their usual way.

I can't think of a Premier League manager who could replace him for both his philosophy and approach. Probably would have to look abroad. Guardiola or Hiddink, if they could afford either. Most likely the latter I imagine. Can't see Pep going to Arsenal, though anywhere other than barca would be a step down I suppose. Laurent Blanc looks to be proving himself as a good manager too.

Wenger has been restricted in the transfer market and has done well with some signings. However in other cases he has sometimes seemed oblivious to what's been needed and sometimes he can be bizarrely persistent with a player.

I do get the feeling his time is coming to an end at the club. I think he desperately want to win something before going so he doesn't leave with the trophy drought ongoing. But honestly I'm not sure I can see it happening.

Wenger has been restricted in the transfer market and has done well with some signings. However in other cases he has sometimes seemed oblivious to what's been needed and sometimes he can be bizarrely persistent with a player.

Same goes for Fergie. No idea how he's managed to avoid buying a central midfielder all this time. Luckily Carrick is in storming form at the moment, but there was a huge period of time when he was playing guff. Cleverley is top and not too far off the quality of Wilshere in my opinion, but he played like 5 games then he's been injured ever since. Not sure what's happened to him. he was supposed to be back by mid-December.

It's odd how such good managers can just ignore what is a glaring problem.

Same goes for Fergie. No idea how he's managed to avoid buying a central midfielder all this time. Luckily Carrick is in storming form at the moment, but there was a huge period of time when he was playing guff. Cleverley is top and not too far off the quality of Wilshere in my opinion, but he played like 5 games then he's been injured ever since. Not sure what's happened to him. he was supposed to be back by mid-December.

It's odd how such good managers can just ignore what is a glaring problem.

Did Cleverley not come back and then get another injury? Or am I imagining that?

I think one of Fergie's problems now is that for a long while if he was going to make a big marquee signing he could pretty much get who he wanted. This summer it seemed his preferred targets were out of his reach and he didn't want to settle for anyone else, except the chumps he already had.

Cleverley came back at Everton, but he wasn't ready and pulled up with the same injury. All becauseof Kevin Davies being a big fucking hacking lump. Dick.

The likes of Sneijder and Modric probably were out of his reach, but I don't realy think anyone was expecting a big marquee signing. There's loads of quality midfielders available at good prices, as proven by Spurs snapping up Van Der Vaart for pocket change. PSG didn't seem to be too far over the odds for Pastore either, and he is immense with time on his side. And City got David Silva for what he is probably worth, though United had been linked with him for years. Fergie never seems to express an interest, and just keeps saying the squad is fine. It probably is, apart from that one position. As proven by having to recall Scholes.

Cleverley is top and not too far off the quality of Wilshere in my opinion.

Woah woah woah. Now I like Cleverly.

However has played 7 games for Man U this season where yes he did look good but it was while Man United were in storming form at the start of the season scoring goals for fun. It's not very hard too look that good. Wilshere played a whole season for Arsenal last year where he impressed week in and out and was impressive in his first England games. Not really comparible imo. Both had good loan spells for a year but I dont think Cleverly was that standout for Wigan.

I don’t think Cleverley is as good as Wilshere, but I don’t think he’s that far off from he has shown so far. he was arguably the reason United were in storming form, as that form ended as soon as he got injured. It was a relief for them to have a midfielder who could actually move forwards, and not backwards and sideways. It put less dependence on Rooney to do donkey work, and stay up top and score goals.

I think he was very good at Wigan. He created a ton of chances, but few of them were finished off because their strikers are mince. But statistically, his rate of chances created and percentage of pass completion was solid. He’s also done a bit more than just 7 games this season and a loan spell at Wigan. His loan at Watford was by far his best showing so far, and he took the piss out of the Championship. He looked head and shoulders above everyone in the division and was rightfully their player of the year and the writers player of the year. Based on individual attributes, he is a very similar player to Wilshere. Both are very much two footed, quick and cover just about every blade of grass, great range of passing and great at receiving the ball under pressure. Wilshere’s had more top flight experience which is a credit to him, where as Cleverley’s had to settle with being loaned, but they aren’t that far apart in terms of quality, in my opinion.

Due to their similarity, it will probably be another case of Gerrard and Lampard not being able to play together for England.

I don’t think Cleverley is as good as Wilshere, but I don’t think he’s that far off from he has shown so far. he was arguably the reason United were in storming form, as that form ended as soon as he got injured. It was a relief for them to have a midfielder who could actually move forwards, and not backwards and sideways. It put less dependence on Rooney to do donkey work, and stay up top and score goals.

I think he was very good at Wigan. He created a ton of chances, but few of them were finished off because their strikers are mince. But statistically, his rate of chances created and percentage of pass completion was solid. He’s also done a bit more than just 7 games this season and a loan spell at Wigan. His loan at Watford was by far his best showing so far, and he took the piss out of the Championship. He looked head and shoulders above everyone in the division and was rightfully their player of the year and the writers player of the year. Based on individual attributes, he is a very similar player to Wilshere. Both are very much two footed, quick and cover just about every blade of grass, great range of passing and great at receiving the ball under pressure. Wilshere’s had more top flight experience which is a credit to him, where as Cleverley’s had to settle with being loaned, but they aren’t that far apart in terms of quality, in my opinion.

Due to their similarity, it will probably be another case of Gerrard and Lampard not being able to play together for England.

Hmm I do agree with you to an extent. I really just want to see Cleverly play more games (and more 'high pressure' games) before I can really compare him to Jack.

I do think you could play them together for England though, I think you could ask Wilshere to sit a bit more like he did in his debut for England and he would still be very effective. If not quite as good as when he plays for Arsenal. It's also going to be interesting to see what Wenger does when he comes back with Wilshere/Ramsay/Arteta. Obviously the Wilshere and Ramsay are the partners for the future but Arteta has been really good this season and solidifies them when he plays.

On another subject here is a nice picture explaining the 'Arry Redknapp case. As it's quite confusing reading what the media reported on it I found.

article-2090978_graphic.jpg

I can't see Ramsey keeping his place, as much as I like him. Out of the three, he's the least good player, but he's still got alot to offer. I just also think he's got alot to learn. He gets dispossessed alot quite clumsily. He doesn't have the same ability to pivot around a pressing opponent like Wilshere and Arteta do. He's only 20 though, so he's got alot of time to learn. Maybe a loan to a Premier League side would be beneficial, like it was for Wilshere.

Alot of Arsenal fans seem to be slagging Ramsey off which is a bit harsh, considering his age and inexperience. Behind Chamberlain, I thought ramsey was the next best player on the pitch for Arsenal. Great movement and passing. Nearly scored a great goal too. Was inches away from the top corner after he ghosted through a couple of defenders.

For once, Arsenal may have some depth in any area of the pitch.

With Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsay and Song all fit at least Wenger will have to make a decision as to who doesn't play. What on earth has happened to Abou Diaby by the way? Is he still alive? Presuming he is, there will also be Diaby and Rosicky kicking around too.

[EDIT= And Frimpong when he returns.]