aberdeen-music

Osama Bin Laden DEID

He should've been tried in a state where you can't kill then sent to jail forever.

Even if that state had absolutely fuck all to do with Bin Laden?

How exactly does that work?

Also, if you hold him responsible for 9/11, where 3 THOUSAND died, how does putting a fairly elderly guy behind bars for his last few years represent justice being done in any way. It's so disproportionately lenient with respect to his crimes, it's laughable.

I think it was handled so badly.

4. Throwing the body in the sea means all the conspiracy theorists will have something to go on about.

I think the main concern here is that they've gone and thrown him in the mix with the BP oil spill and the Fukushima pollution and now there's the possibility of some radioactive super-terrorist.

This quote from 9/11 survivor Harry Waizer pretty much sums it up for me: "I just cant find it in me to be glad one more person is dead, even if it is Osama Bin Laden."

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying it does, i just don't understand why he's convinced that putting him in prison does. Killing him is a much more effective result though.

Because if we're punishing him, I think that locking him up will serve as more of a punishment to him than killing him will.

Guest Gladstone
Does killing him bring "justice"?

I don't really see how this could even be looked at as a matter of justice. It's impossible in this case.

Exactly - what do you with a guy who was responsible for the death of 3,000 (in that one incident alone)?

I bet there would be more people moaning if Bin Laden was caught alive and then put to prison for the next 30 or so years, than if they just killed him.

There's no way I'll celebrate the fact that the guy got killed, but I can't see a better outcome. Being imprisoned for the rest of his life would be a difficult one for many to stomach. Being tried and then executed would carry all the same moral arguments as killing him in the first place. If he was genuinely not going to come in peacefully, what else were they to do? Let him go?

I do find it quite odd that no photos have materialised yet. When Saddam was captured the pictures were all over the world instantly, and same when his two sons were killed in a bomb attack. Perhaps his face was completely obliterated and the photos would be too shocking. Perhaps they don't want to incite the extremists by posting pictures of their dead leader around the world?

I don't know - it seems a pretty outrageous claim to make if it isn't true though. Surely if it wasn't true, a youtube video with Bin Laden would have found it's way onto the net by now telling everyone he is alive and well etc etc...

there is just so much wrong with that though. Where do we put him? We can't just throw him in the worst conditions possible because of human rights, so goes into a prison with decent living conditions with three square meals a day. What country would have him as well? Not to mention the point i made earlier, you can't just take the worlds most wanted man and trial him in any old country you like to suit what laws they have their and what penalty he gets.

Not to mention the fact that the cost of keeping him safe in any western prison would be absolutely enormous. If taxpayers are getting rinsed to pay for the protection of the most infamous man on the planet, I could imagine a few people getting a bit cross about that.

Somebody mentioned about why there are no photos. Even if there were photos, you'd have the same conspiracy theorists who don't believe he's dead, claiming that they were all photoshopped. You can't win.

This isn't the Middle East. We've never really published photos of corpses....especially not with 2 bullets in the head.

Is it just me that thinks executing him when he could have been captured is completely barbaric? Not to mention people celebrating that a man was killed. I know that he did terrible things, but it's pretty sick to cheer that someone has died, not matter what awful things he did.

I agree. Would rather they captured him and grilled him about what he's been doing, and what he was planning on doing. In a room, with the usual good cop and bad cop. The sympathiser, and the one throwing scalding coffee on his face

Is it just me that thinks executing him when he could have been captured is completely barbaric? Not to mention people celebrating that a man was killed. I know that he did terrible things, but it's pretty sick to cheer that someone has died, not matter what awful things he did.

Exactly.

Guest Gladstone

I totally agree actually (even if my previous post didn't really put that across). If he could have been captured he should have been. I'm almost certain it would have ended in death penalty anyway, but at least he would have gone through the correct process of trial and sentence etc.

We'll never really know the circumstances to be honest, but if he wasn't going to give himself up, perhaps shooting him was the only choice. But that begs the question, did the bullets have to be aimed at his head? Perhaps, but then again, perhaps not. We'll probably never know.

I don't like the fact that people are celebrating his death. If they'd captured him, celebrating would be okay because it's the most notorious terrorist in my lifetime captured and "off the streets".

My reaction when I saw the headline yesterday was one of complete shock - I'd all but forgotten about Bin Laden if I'm honest. But I wasn't "happy" that he was dead. Far from it. I'm still sad that a human being could be as barbaric as he was, and executing him in what seems like pretty dodgy circumstances brings "us" down to his level. (I know the UK didn't have anything to do with it, but I mean "us" as in the West).

mmm...trouble is, there has been no evidence that has surfaced that it was an "execution"... thought he was just shot and killed because he would not surrender ?

He deserved to die, he had lots of peoples blood on his hands and had no qualms about killing others, a fanatic !

.....but I agree that it is in bad taste to celebrate anybody's death !

from here BBC News - Osama Bin Laden's death: How it happened

(the soldiers were)"able and prepared" to take Bin Laden alive "if he didn't present any threat".

"The concern was that Bin Laden would oppose any type of capture operation. Indeed, he did. It was a firefight. He, therefore, was killed in that firefight, and that's when the remains were removed," said Mr Brennan."

Bingo.

It gave me a shiver that it could all just be media telling us shit and not telling us what they don't want us to hear. I'm not a conspiracy theorist though, it just made me think about 1984.

I want to read that book.

And I retract my earlier statement about age.

Jesus fucking Christ.

The guy wasn't 'executed'.

He was killed in a firefight. Apparently using women/kids as human shields. Would it have been better to let him shoot a few folk in the hope that he might see the error of his ways and put down his weapon?

Why are the wringing hands brigade so quick to trot out the concern for the bad guy? It surely cannot be denied that he was involved in some pretty horrific atrocities which probably no-one on here was directly affected by, whereas plenty of US citizens were. They aren't cheering the death of a person, they are cheering a symbolic victory taht probably gives them a sense of closure.

Comparing this to '1984'? Get a fucking grip.