aberdeen-music

Osama Bin Laden DEID

As much as I thought the Saddam execution was a bit ridiculous - it's a bit of a vague memory, but the whole hanging thing on youtube etc just seemed a bit odd - it was NOT the West that executed him. He was tried, convicted, tested and executed by the Iraqi authorities.

I don't know what the capital punishment regime in Saudi Arabia is, but I'm guessing they are every bit as "barbaric" as Iraq (just a guess) - if Bin Laden had been captured, Saudi Arabia may well have been where he was tried and convicted. If the correct process had been followed, would you get your knickers in a twist if the Saudis hanged Bin Laden?

I thought it was america. Fair point. I didn't know it was Iraqis that hung him. But my point that I think it's pretty barbaric to hang someone. IMO.

I agree, it was that 'Execution of Gary Glitter' prog, that was the final nail in the scaffold, so to speak. I'm always firmly anti death penalty, but hanging is just bad barbaric shit all round. They should be able to electronically switch body systems off, or something, but they shouldn't do that either.

Guest Gladstone

Handgun - one bullet - fire it up their arse and let them bleed to death.

Oh wait - it's the least suffering we're looking for here...

Michael portillo proved in a rather good documentary that the most humane way to kill someone is in a pressurized tank filled with some gas or other like laughing gas. You slowly reach a state of euphoria then pass out. If people must kill people im happy with that method. I still think killing people is wrong on all counts though.

Michael portillo proved in a rather good documentary that the most humane way to kill someone is in a pressurized tank filled with some gas or other like laughing gas. You slowly reach a state of euphoria then pass out. If people must kill people im happy with that method. I still think killing people is wrong on all counts though.

I agree with you. I'd rather they be locked up in the worst place imaginable than just killed.

And this whole 'is hanging worse' thing I've started. I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd rather have a bullet in the head than hung.

I hope Portillo tested the death-by-laughing-gas-method first hand?

I agree with you. I'd rather they be locked up in the worst place imaginable than just killed.

And this whole 'is hanging worse' thing I've started. I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd rather have a bullet in the head than hung.

We all know your prefered method of death would be to be 'human centipeded'

My first reaction was the whole thing was made up in order to get the American people on the side of President Obama whose popularity is waning and re-election is on the cards soon. So now I'm pretty convinced they did go in and shoot someone but whether it actually was Bin Laden remains to be seen! I love a good conspiracy theory.

What bugs me is this is typical of America. Bully boy tactics when it suits. I think the announcement has made the situation worse. Young kids will be blowing themselves up more in public places, suicide bombing is the way these nutters are going to go. Plenty of willing participants and almost impossible to stop.

I sat very uneasy at the masses taking the streets in celebration as well as the president and his cronies all watching it on live video feeds. No matter how you dress it up and since Bin Laden was unarmed it was murder. But its ok cos he was a bad man, well a very naughty boy!

Politicians really do think we're thick. Ed Milliband was one who was mumbling the world is a safer place.... er I don't think so, it's made things much worse.

Bin Laden was just one of the figureheads of Al Qeada - he was more than happy to take the blame for Sept 11th although whether he did is debatable. There is no doubt he was a dispicable human being fuelled on a diet of terror and hatred. Al Qeada will live on and probably get stronger as a result.

I thought he'd been retired for years. America really do need to look at their own actions at times and have a sit down and wonder just why they are so hated around the world.

They probably saw all the happiness and joy a royal wedding brought and wanted a slice of the action!

Well said Del.

I also think this is worth a read and

a watch...

In a class I was teaching on Tuesday there was a reading exercise in the text book about april fools day and the Panorama spaghetti harvest story (Nicely timed exercise for the start of May of course).

I was asking them if these kinds of jokes happen much in Spain and if they'd seen anything on that was fake like the Spaghetti story. One of the girls (about14) said "yes, last week. Osama Bin Laden".

Thought I'd share that. But now I've typed it out it doesn't really seem so amusing. I'll post it anyway.

In a class I was teaching on Tuesday there was a reading exercise in the text book about april fools day and the Panorama spaghetti harvest story (Nicely timed exercise for the start of May of course).

I was asking them if these kinds of jokes happen much in Spain and if they'd seen anything on that was fake like the Spaghetti story. One of the girls (about14) said "yes, last week. Osama Bin Laden".

Thought I'd share that. But now I've typed it out it doesn't really seem so amusing. I'll post it anyway.

Haha! She should be on "han tengo noticias para usted" with biting satire like that!

• 4 weeks later...

Face-2-face upper intermediate by any chance? God, I hate that book.