aberdeen-music

Vegans

Hi there. Looking for any advice on good things to eat being a vegan, or any dietary potential pitfalls, stuff like that. Vegan sources of protein seem to be scarce so that specifically would be just awesome.

Any advice on what stuff you can buy in supermarkets would be appreciated and any decent sites with lists of vegan-friendly food would be just fantastic too!

Thanks in advance. :up:

Lentils are your friend. Lentil curry, lentil bolognese, lentils are awesome!

I have a few recipes if you want? I was vegan for about 2 years.

Best advice is try not to get caught out - if you find yourself looking for a snack at a petrol garage or something you'll end up with a choice of dry bread or settling for vegetarian option.

If I get around to it I'll post some more vegan stuff tonight / tomorrow, gotta head offski now. Unless you're trolling, in which case BAHHH FUCK YOU GARRH!

xx

Guest idol_wild

Falafel could easily become a bit of a staple. I keep meaning to give falafel making a shot. I always forget to buy ingredients when I'm in the supermarket, though.

Note to self: Buy stuff to create some falafel dishes.

Sounds like a major pain in the arse to enforce on yourself. More power to you if it's something you believe in strongly though (which I assume it must be...)

Yeah it really looks like it'll be v.difficult. It is something I believe in though, thought about it for a long time and wanting to make the "step up" from vegetarian to vegan, or at least try it.

Also, apparently the health benefits are many.

lentils have loads of protein.

I work with indian religio-vegans and they make a right fine rice and lentils dish almost every day. It's an easy 'whack it all in the rice cooker' dish too. And it's mega filling.

rice + lentils + cayenne pepper + Turmeric + any masala mix you want + Salt, cook, eat with chilli/lime pickle.

Yeah, these are all sound tips guys, thank you!

Thing is, I quite enjoy my weightlifting. I want to keep that up but is that even possible when vegan? Need to consume probably 130-150g of protein a day without going over (roughly) 2,700 calories a day and not consuming too much fat. Possible to bulk up on a vegan diet?

Most of the online resources are about losing weight through a vegan diet but I don't want to do that!

Yeah it really looks like it'll be v.difficult. It is something I believe in though, thought about it for a long time and wanting to make the "step up" from vegetarian to vegan, or at least try it.

Also, apparently the health benefits are many.

The social pitfalls is that yor farts will stink even more.

Yeah, these are all sound tips guys, thank you!

Thing is, I quite enjoy my weightlifting. I want to keep that up but is that even possible when vegan? Need to consume probably 130-150g of protein a day without going over (roughly) 2,700 calories a day and not consuming too much fat. Possible to bulk up on a vegan diet?

Most of the online resources are about losing weight through a vegan diet but I don't want to do that!

out of pure curiosity, I investigated this a while ago. Seems like pea protein powder is the way. Bet it tastes like arse though.

Soya milk starts to taste ok if you drink it for a couple months. The supermarket own brand non-sweetened stuff is better than the brand name ones.

Although if you're doing it for strictly ethical reasons, it's best avoided. They tear down a shitload of natural animal habitat to grow that stuff.

I got a really decent veggie cookbook from Waterstones that had a few vegan options. All the best vegan books I've seen have been published in the states so you have to arse about a bit with the measurements, but definitely check out the cookery section at Waterstones for ideas.

When I'm making veggie or vegan food I normally stick with stuff like dhals or curries using coconut milk and veg. Veggie stir frys can be good but watch the sauces for fish/oyster.

My sister swears by this book Amazon.com: Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For--From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes (9780738212722): Isa Chandra Moskowitz: Books

I love a massive breakfast and have tried all the recipes in this book and can confirm they are all comparable to their meat/egg filled counterparts. Really good pancake and waffle recipes in particular.

Hi there. Looking for any advice on good things to eat being a vegan, or any dietary potential pitfalls, stuff like that. Vegan sources of protein seem to be scarce so that specifically would be just awesome.

Any advice on what stuff you can buy in supermarkets would be appreciated and any decent sites with lists of vegan-friendly food would be just fantastic too!

Thanks in advance. :up:

Hey Nef, I've been vegan for about 7 years or so now, there aren't many pitfalls to avoid once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to get most of the nutrients, minerals and vitamins you need from plant sources, but just watch your B12 and iron and supplement if necessary. The only thing is that most ready meals and processed foods tend to contain animal ingredients, so it's really advantageous if you enjoy cooking, otherwise you can end up eating some pretty dull food.

Some of the recipes I use are adaptations of recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz who wrote Vegan With A Vengeance, a lot of her stuff can be found on this site: | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking. She's got a couple of really good vegan cookies and cupcakes books for baking too.

I'm not big on meat substitutes at all, but I do quite like seitan in curries and things, my non-vegan boyfriend enjoys it a lot too (there's a pretty good recipe kicking about online for Ethiopian seitan, if you like quite spicy food). It's a lot more difficult to track down than tofu and stuff, but you can order half-kilo bags of wheat gluten to make it with here: Buy Vegan Food Online, Vegan Chilled Food, Vegan, Vegetarian,Organic, Organic Food, Vegetarian Food Products, Wirral, Liverpool, UK Ayurvedic Pukka Herbs, Vegan, Organic, Ethical. You can make a load of it at a time and it keeps well in the fridge and freezer. The Redwood Cumberland sausages are nice too, you can get them in Grampian Health Foods on Market Street.

Other than that, most of the food I like to eat is veggie based, mainly Asian food, I eat a lot of Pad Thai, sushi, Thai curries, Mexican and Indian food like chillis and curries which you can load with beans, lentils, nuts and split peas for extra protein. I have a lot of recipes that I can send you if you like.

Oh, and vegan cheese is rubbish, don't bother with it, it properly tastes like sick. If you've got a hankering for cheese in a sauce or whatever, use nutritional yeast.

Oh, and vegan cheese is rubbish, don't bother with it, it properly tastes like sick.

This is very good advice.

Also, get a ceramic roasting dish. Any vegetables + olive oil + salt + pepper + chucked in the oven = fucking amazing.

Also, make soup with roasted vegetables if you've got the time. It's a beautiful thing.

Hey Nef, I've been vegan for about 7 years or so now, there aren't many pitfalls to avoid once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to get most of the nutrients, minerals and vitamins you need from plant sources, but just watch your B12 and iron and supplement if necessary. The only thing is that most ready meals and processed foods tend to contain animal ingredients, so it's really advantageous if you enjoy cooking, otherwise you can end up eating some pretty dull food.

Some of the recipes I use are adaptations of recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz who wrote Vegan With A Vengeance, a lot of her stuff can be found on this site: | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking. She's got a couple of really good vegan cookies and cupcakes books for baking too.

I'm not big on meat substitutes at all, but I do quite like seitan in curries and things, my non-vegan boyfriend enjoys it a lot too (there's a pretty good recipe kicking about online for Ethiopian seitan, if you like quite spicy food). It's a lot more difficult to track down than tofu and stuff, but you can order half-kilo bags of wheat gluten to make it with here: Buy Vegan Food Online, Vegan Chilled Food, Vegan, Vegetarian,Organic, Organic Food, Vegetarian Food Products, Wirral, Liverpool, UK Ayurvedic Pukka Herbs, Vegan, Organic, Ethical. You can make a load of it at a time and it keeps well in the fridge and freezer. The Redwood Cumberland sausages are nice too, you can get them in Grampian Health Foods on Market Street.

Other than that, most of the food I like to eat is veggie based, mainly Asian food, I eat a lot of Pad Thai, sushi, Thai curries, Mexican and Indian food like chillis and curries which you can load with beans, lentils, nuts and split peas for extra protein. I have a lot of recipes that I can send you if you like.

Oh, and vegan cheese is rubbish, don't bother with it, it properly tastes like sick. If you've got a hankering for cheese in a sauce or whatever, use nutritional yeast.

This is gold! Thanks very much, liking the site, hard to find good recipes for vegan desserts.

Decided I'm gonna set my vegan start date for a week on Monday, clear all the cheese/milk etc out the house. Thanks for the help everyone and please keep contributing!

Oh and I just found out that Mike Tyson is vegan. No, seriously.