aberdeen-music

Vegans

Yeah. I never stunk cos I was a vegetarian. I stank cos I don't use deodorant and am allergic to showers.

It's the Crusty Dave way, and I wouldnt change it for the world. :love: :love: :love:

My last bit of meat was last night (nudge nudge wink wink). This is going to be like coming out to a meat eating family tonight when I tell them I can't have meat with supper haha. Ace.

But, I've got nothing against people killing animals for food, not at all. So if they're having, say, chicken fajitas. I'll have vegetable fajitas. But I'm not gonna make someone cook two meals, it'll be cooked with the chicken, i just won't eat the chicken. I have nothing against eating meat, i'm just choosing not to eat it. Is that against the rules?

• 2 years later...

Thread revival.

I was thinking about this earlier.

I'm not about to go vegan or vegetarian, but thinking about trying to eat less meat.

Realistically, the only way I could do this is by trying to cut any meat out during the day - so a meat-free lunch.  Reason being that my wife generally prepares the evening meal for the family and I'm not about to go home and cook myself an alternative (and my wife won't buy into eating supper with no meat in it...).

Anyway - looking for some advice on easy things I can eat for lunch (either by buying something prepared or ingredients that are easy to come by and make for a quickly prepared lunch).  Basically, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to lunch making for when I'm at work.

It's important that I get enough carbs and enough protein in my diet as I do a lot of running / exercise.

Any tips?

I've read the book by Scott Jurek (Ultramarathon runner) "Eat and Run" which is full of vegan recipes and the like, but really, I'm looking for easy to get hold of, easy to prepare snacks / lunch stuff.

Easy.  Yeah?

Cheers!

Falafel wraps, easy to make in bulk and taste amazing.

I will give that a try!

I used houmous on pitta as a snack for a while but haven't eaten that in months.  Need to get back into this sort of thing.

EDIT:  This may sound like a stupid question...

Do you get falafel just as the "soft" stuff or is it always sold as a deep fried "ball"?  And if it is just in the "ball" do you just mush it down into your wrap / pitta?

:dunce:

Edited by Gladstone

I've read the book by Scott Jurek (Ultramarathon runner) "Eat and Run" which is full of vegan recipes and the like, but really, I'm looking for easy to get hold of, easy to prepare snacks / lunch stuff.

Brilliant book.  Haven't tried any of the recipes from it yet, though a friend of mine swears by the mixed bean veggie chilli in it.

Pasta would be an obvious option.  Easy to make in advance and plenty of carbs.

If you're just cutting down on red meat then a fishy salad would also be an easy lunch option.  Smoked salmon or mackerel with some nice leaves and avocado (with salmon) or beetroot (with mackerel).  I often have that as a quick tea after a run.

Brilliant book.  Haven't tried any of the recipes from it yet, though a friend of mine swears by the mixed bean veggie chilli in it.

Pasta would be an obvious option.  Easy to make in advance and plenty of carbs.

If you're just cutting down on red meat then a fishy salad would also be an easy lunch option.  Smoked salmon or mackerel with some nice leaves and avocado (with salmon) or beetroot (with mackerel).  I often have that as a quick tea after a run.

Yeah - pasta was a bit of a staple in my diet for the early part of last year.  I'm all for the lazy option of the pre-prepared fresh pasta options you can just throw in for 5 minutes and add a tiny bit of sauce.  Tastes really good too.

I don't not eat fish, but I'm not mad keen on fish.  My wife can't eat fish at all, so there's never any in the house.  In fact, almost the only time I eat fish is if it's in a fish supper from the chippie...  Not healthy but tastes great!

I do like a chicken salad though, but I'm going to try and not eat any meat (including fish in that - which won't be difficult as I never eat fish anyway) during the day during the week and see how I get on.  Starting next week.

EDIT:  Oh yeah - and Scott Jurek's book is a brilliant read.  More for the running aspect for me than the food aspect.  But, some of his recipes sound amazing.  The chilli in particular.  What a dedicated human being he is.

Edited by Gladstone