aberdeen-music

Perception of the future

fatboy

came across this on a website.

These are illustrations by French artist Villemard in 1910 of how he imagined the future to be in the year 2000

81387745.jpg

Firemen will be equipped with bat wings to be able to easily access top floors and roofs.

81387748.jpg

Schools will be equipped with audio books.

81387749.jpg

Horses will be so rare that people will pay to see them

81387750.jpg

You'll be able to send mail just by dictating it into loudspeaker.

81387760.jpg

Video-telegraph.

81387747.jpg

Wars will be fought by combat cars

81387751.jpg

Heating with Radium.

81387752.jpg

Building sites will be equipped with automatic devices and machines.

got me thinking what the future would be like as we all do. but what also got me thinking is how far off this guys predictions are. Some of them he has touched on are right, but we went far beyond his predictions. How far beyond our predictions will the future be?

:)

Apart from the flying firemen, he was fucking way out.

totally ha

i was meaning by how far beyond the concept we are. I laughed when i watched the running man and they have data stored on tiny magnetic tapes filed in a library, they were far off too. who would have thought we would have flash drives and stuff

I find it strange thinking about what as a child I imagined the future to be like. It was always about flying cars. There just had to be flying cars in the future. What would be the point of the future if there were no flying cars? Might as well just stay in the present.

I remember often having conversation about what the year 2000 would be like. Obviously it just had to be very different from what 1999 would be like.

xlg_next_fifty_years_06.jpg

xlg_next_fifty_years_00.jpg

SOME MISCONCEPTIONS OF COMPUTERS LOL

* "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), maker of minicomputers, arguing against the PC in 1977.

* "I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.

* "640K ought to be enough for anybody." or "No one will need more than 637 kilobytes of memory for a personal computer." are two variants of the same quote, often misattributed to Bill Gates in 1981. Gates has repeatedly denied ever saying this, and he points out that it has never been attributed to him with a proper source. In fact, the memory limitation was due to the hardware architecture of the IBM PC.

* "But what... is it good for?" -- IBM executive Robert Lloyd, speaking in 1968 about the microprocessor, the heart of todays computers.

* "We will never make a 32 bit operating system." -- Bill Gates