aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

What's wrong with the power of MacBooks. The new standard range of MacBook pros have 4gig RAM standard and at the most basic a 2.3ghz i5. That's much better than the most Windows laptops for sale, the only range of laptops I can think of that blow that away is Alienware which is also horrifically priced.

Alienware are overpriced in the extreme too.

You can go to your local supermarket and buy this http://web.medion.com/sainsburys/md97786/uk/?refPage=sainsburys

That's without spending anytime searching and that is significantly faster and from Sainsburys which is hardly going to be a cheap place for a laptop.

That's £800. Price a similar MacBook and you are what roughly £1800-2000?

Go through overclockers, DABS etc and watch the spec increase and the price fall.

I really don't understand why so many people can't look past Apple products and think they are amazing.

I've had quite a few Apple products and none convince me that they are anything special.

Currently got an iphone 4 which I think has some good functions, but somethings are really backwards, reception is poor and the lack of flashplayer is a disaster to be honest. Many people that rate the iphone highly have jailbroken their phone to do things Apple don't want you to do. It also invalidates your warranty which you are likely to need in my experience.

iPhones are also very expensive compared to other phones that can do more. Why not buy a cheaper phone that can do all you want it to do in the first place?

I had a MacBook Pro last year. A total piece of shit. Luckily I never had to pay for it or I would have been devistated. Everything was alien and when all computers at work and at the wee ones schools are Windows based, you are far better sticking to that.

Many people who rate the Apple Macs and MacBooks have Bootcamped them to run Windows which allows them to do things that Apple don't want you to.

The MacBook was over £1000 in the shops and for the same specification in a normal laptop you could be looking at about £400. Is the nice aluminium case worth that, no. Why not buy a Windows based laptop or desktop and save yourself 50%-60% for similar spec and forget about image?

I've had various iPods over the years too. Luckily not had to buy any of them either. Everyone buys an iPod just because it's an ipod and fail to notice that countless MP3 players have better sound. Seemingly image is far better than function.

Why not buy a music player based on the quality of sound?

One thing about Apple is their customer care is superb. They really do bend over backwards if you have a problem.

There items are so hideously overpriced they can afford all their trendy stores and have more workers than customers in the shop. It's also no surprise that Apple have more money than the American government.

The most important point you raise, that we all want to know the answer to, is Where did you keep getting free Apple gear from? Free Macbook. Several free iPods. Spill.

I agree with what you are saying, in theory. However, when it comes to the iPod, there is no real competition anymore. Not sure why. When 20-40gb was considered a mass storage mp3 player, Creative and Apple were neck and neck, though I do believe Creative were the better players in terms of quality and also software. They fell away though and Apple completely own the 120gb+ mass storage media player market now. There just isn't a rival product which is as affordable, portable and readily available with the same kind of storage. It's a shame, because my iPod Classic sounds a bit guff and is way too quiet, even on full volume.

One of my greatest pet hates with pc is just the os. If I were to turn on my laptop and my macbook at the same time. I could have my macbook start up, open up chrome, have aberdeen music open ;) have facebook and all that open, be checking my emails and be watching a movie before the laptop has finished loading. Everything just runs so much smoother. I bought a 500 quid laptop that was pretty decent in it's day. A year later it blue screens twice then stops starting up. Never had a problem with my mac in the past year and a 8 months. :)

I was recently shopping around for a new phone. None of the network phone shops recommended the iPhone, for some reason. I was looking into getting one, just because everyone seems to have one so thought they must be good... The chap in the Vodafone shop said "The iPhone is a fashion accessory for someone with more money than sense". The O2 and Phones4U shops didn't really have anything good to say about them either, so I got the HTC Desire S. It's pretty neat. Battery could last a bit longer, but I probably won't be using it enough for that to be a factor.

I like it when it's raining and the weather animation puts on the window wipers. Essential mobile phone feature.

have you tried buying a replacement battery? battery life on hero was pretty poor so i bought a new battery off amazon with extra capacity and a replacement back. lasts for about 3 days now with 3g and wifi on constantly. ace!

the only reason i don't want to buy an iphone is that it's harder to get replacement batteries, load a modded os/ui and isn't as nice as the samsung. nothing against apple though(though their macbooks are pretty pricey for the spec).

have you tried buying a replacement battery? battery life on hero was pretty poor so i bought a new battery off amazon with extra capacity and a replacement back. lasts for about 3 days now with 3g and wifi on constantly. ace!

the only reason i don't want to buy an iphone is that it's harder to get replacement batteries, load a modded os/ui and isn't as nice as the samsung. nothing against apple though(though their macbooks are pretty pricey for the spec).

That's pretty good to know. I will certainly look into it. It's not a problem for me at the minute, but it would be good to not have to charge it every night.

As was mentioned to me when I bought the iMac for the missus is that a lot of the cost of the computer is the included software, iMovie, iPhoto and garage band.

Plus to upgrade to OS X Lion I got it for free, had I had to buy it, it would only have cost £20 from the app store, not £100 from a shop a la Windows.

Most people do not buy a Mac for gaming, mainly photo and video editing which it is very good at, everyone knows the Mac is crap for games, unless it's kids games. The people who buy Macs are the sort of people that either got bored of having Windows crap on them or need it for a specific creative reason, they are not techie enough to know how to bootcamp the machines, much like most iPhone owners don't jailbreak their iPhones due to not knowing how to or wanting to.

I've always said Microsoft is brainwashing children from an early age, as in most schools it's Windows PCs running Microsoft Office and IE, then when you start having a choice in computers you stick to what you know, much like most people never change doctor, bank or dentist unless they have to.

The most important point you raise, that we all want to know the answer to, is Where did you keep getting free Apple gear from? Free Macbook. Several free iPods. Spill.

I agree with what you are saying, in theory. However, when it comes to the iPod, there is no real competition anymore. Not sure why. When 20-40gb was considered a mass storage mp3 player, Creative and Apple were neck and neck, though I do believe Creative were the better players in terms of quality and also software. They fell away though and Apple completely own the 120gb+ mass storage media player market now. There just isn't a rival product which is as affordable, portable and readily available with the same kind of storage. It's a shame, because my iPod Classic sounds a bit guff and is way too quiet, even on full volume.

Either as personal gifts or gifts/awards through work. Afraid that I don't know how to get free ones other than that sadly.

My iPhone 4 is under contract and was my choice though. I thought I would give it a try as at my time for upgrade there just seemed to be nothing of interest.

As was mentioned to me when I bought the iMac for the missus is that a lot of the cost of the computer is the included software, iMovie, iPhoto and garage band.

Plus to upgrade to OS X Lion I got it for free, had I had to buy it, it would only have cost £20 from the app store, not £100 from a shop a la Windows.

Most people do not buy a Mac for gaming, mainly photo and video editing which it is very good at, everyone knows the Mac is crap for games, unless it's kids games. The people who buy Macs are the sort of people that either got bored of having Windows crap on them or need it for a specific creative reason, they are not techie enough to know how to bootcamp the machines, much like most iPhone owners don't jailbreak their iPhones due to not knowing how to or wanting to.

I've always said Microsoft is brainwashing children from an early age, as in most schools it's Windows PCs running Microsoft Office and IE, then when you start having a choice in computers you stick to what you know, much like most people never change doctor, bank or dentist unless they have to.

Brainwashing is ridiculously OTT, isn't it? Schools aren't going to kit out their IT labs with Mac's when they can get the same sort of spec PC for a fraction of the price. Especially since all computers are used for in schools is pretty basic programmes, word processing/desktop publishing etc (although I'm aware colleges and universities will have a few Macs for image/video/sound manipulation and whatnot). Also, since much, much, much more households have a PC, and not a Mac, it means kids can do their work between home and school, keeping it in the necessary format. It's the most common platform, so it makes the most sense for schools to provide the most common format. It'd be daft if they had a handful of PCs, handful of Macs, a few machines running Linux. It just doesn't bare any logical sense.

Besides, you say it as if Microsoft Windows is an evil, stomach churning regime, which shouldn't be exposed to young children, for it will swallow their souls. It does what it needs to, and it does it well. Macs may be considered more proficient for media editing and manipulation, but a PC does all the everyday stuff just fine. You can still edit videos and record sounds on a PC anyway, so it's not completely watertight argument.

• Upvote 1

Can we have a new thread for this discussion? - this is NOT A QUICK QUESTION!

xx

Fixed.

How long does pink eye take to go away? Will I need to finish the 5 day course of eye drops or can I pop my contacts in before then? My glasses are broke and I'm too broke to buy new ones that aren't broke. So, y'know, having taped up glasses slide down your nose can get annoying.

Fixed.

How long does pink eye take to go away? Will I need to finish the 5 day course of eye drops or can I pop my contacts in before then? My glasses are broke and I'm too broke to buy new ones that aren't broke. So, y'know, having taped up glasses slide down your nose can get annoying.

Stop moaning and think about whether you really want John W slapping some of his baby gravy across your peepers next time. At least it's not AIDS.