aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

the iPhone is far from just a pricey fashion accessory. Because there's a new android OS based phone every five minutes, it's In the network company's interest to get you onto the cheaper android phones. You'll maybe upgrade early, you've got a wide choice, the manufacturers are easier to deal with than apple and there are a huge range of faults that could arise meaning you'll be back in to get fixed. A new iPhone comes out when jobs says so. U don't like it tough. Got a problem? Go to the apple store not the car phone warehouse. A small Aberdeen branch has run out of iPhones? They'll jut have to wait. apple are just too big a company, they could go it alone and set up their own network, sell exclusively in apple stores and still take a majority market share. iOS is here to stay.

Im not saying which is a better phone but that guy is essentially what I'd term "a fucking idiot"

I did think there must be an underlying reason why the shops down-talked the iPhone so much. A reason a technophobe like me wouldn't understand. The iPhone was a bit out of my reach anyway, as they were wanting alot of money down on a handset. HTC desire was free on a £16.50 a month contract. Can't fault that, as I only use my phone for texts, yelling at BT and checking sports results.

No I think he means actually boost your signal for phoning folk. But, if you're in your house, use a landline. Unless it's another mobile. But if you can't get a decent signal get a different contract from somewhere else or move. Nae need not to get an iPhone.

I see now. I didn't know some phones did that. It's something I would never use, unless for some reason I stopped getting signal in my own house. That would be ungood.

I really don't understand why so many people can't look past Apple products and think they are amazing.

I've had quite a few Apple products and none convince me that they are anything special.

Currently got an iphone 4 which I think has some good functions, but somethings are really backwards, reception is poor and the lack of flashplayer is a disaster to be honest. Many people that rate the iphone highly have jailbroken their phone to do things Apple don't want you to do. It also invalidates your warranty which you are likely to need in my experience.

iPhones are also very expensive compared to other phones that can do more. Why not buy a cheaper phone that can do all you want it to do in the first place?

I had a MacBook Pro last year. A total piece of shit. Luckily I never had to pay for it or I would have been devistated. Everything was alien and when all computers at work and at the wee ones schools are Windows based, you are far better sticking to that.

Many people who rate the Apple Macs and MacBooks have Bootcamped them to run Windows which allows them to do things that Apple don't want you to.

The MacBook was over £1000 in the shops and for the same specification in a normal laptop you could be looking at about £400. Is the nice aluminium case worth that, no. Why not buy a Windows based laptop or desktop and save yourself 50%-60% for similar spec and forget about image?

I've had various iPods over the years too. Luckily not had to buy any of them either. Everyone buys an iPod just because it's an ipod and fail to notice that countless MP3 players have better sound. Seemingly image is far better than function.

Why not buy a music player based on the quality of sound?

One thing about Apple is their customer care is superb. They really do bend over backwards if you have a problem.

There items are so hideously overpriced they can afford all their trendy stores and have more workers than customers in the shop. It's also no surprise that Apple have more money than the American government.

MP3 Player: Had Sony Walkman. Big and bulky, shit screen. Got a Creative Zen. Crashed far too much. Only thing I'd say was as good as my iPod Nano though.

Phone: Had plenty phones. Before my iPhone 4 I had a nokia touch screen was pretty great, but it's got nothing on the iPhone. Got a nokia.. n71 or something like that at work. Pretty good. But not an iPhone. Folk in my work have HTCs and always complain. Some folk swapped them for the nokia too.

Laptops: Got a windows 7 hp laptop at work and a macbook at home. I'm not some pc gamer or programmer. And the macbook wipes the floor wiht it and I'm glad I paid the money I did.

IMO.

If HTC could sort out their battery life they would be on to a winner. Battery life is dreadful on all models.

I hope the next batch of Nokia phones with the input of Microsoft really live up to what I'd hope.

My old Nokia N900 was still the best phone I've had. However the touchscreen werepoor compared to all the other brands at that time. I then had an N8 where Nokia decided to combine the worst parts of the N97(which I hated) to a nice new screen and camera. All they needed was a new screen and camera on the N900.

If they brought out a N900 with a good screen and a bit smaller, that phone would still be a class leader today.

The latest Sony MP3 players are really good. The Creative Zens have always pissed over ipods. You must be unlucky with your one being unreliable.

It all depends on the spec of the laptops you are using for work. We have some ultra basic ones that can only be compared to netbooks. Start comparing to what we use for CAD, and similarly priced to some of the better MacBooks, and the spec and performance is far too great for any fancy software to make up. But most people will have Bootcamped to Windows anyway totally defeating the point of buying a MacBook in the first place.

For a £1000 MacBook it does not have the power or graphics card to run most modern games well, or even at all. Even then many don't support Macs. For £1000 you can buy a reasonable laptop for gaming.

If all you do is browse the internet you are not needing to spend £1000 on any bit of kit to do that.

Why do you feel it's worth such a big premium?

"Most people will have bootcamped to windows."

No they will not. I don't know where you are getting your statistics but you should get them checked. I suspect however you are just making them up.

Sorry that is a typo. As per my earlier post many people would have. Many not most that should read.

From what I read it's a very common thing to do though. Many people have to do it to get software and games to run. In most circumstances it does not run anywhere near as good as it would on a standard laptop or PC.

Most people don't use their equipment for much more than the internet or watching films and would never know the difference.

I'm heavily into my gaming and the problems getting Macs and MacBooks to function correctly is a very common topic.

Sorry that is a typo. As per my earlier post many people would have. Many not most that should read.

From what I read it's a very common thing to do though. Many people have to do it to get software and games to run. In most circumstances it does not run anywhere near as good as it would on a standard laptop or PC.

Most people don't use their equipment for much more than the internet or watching films and would never know the difference.

I'm heavily into my gaming and the problems getting Macs and MacBooks to function correctly is a very common topic.

People do not buy macs for gaming. Which seems to be your be all and end all of laptops apparantly. Mac OS is a very visually pleasing, functional and simple operating system to use. Not to mention some of Apple's built in photo/video/recording software is very good (I am aware that you can buy equally good programs for Windows but Mac is just another option for an OS and these programs are excellent).

PS: I don't have a Mac as I do use my PC for gaming but I would love to have one for work as they are just very nice machines to use.

People do not buy macs for gaming. Which seems to be your be all and end all of laptops apparantly. Mac OS is a very visually pleasing, functional and simple operating system to use. Not to mention some of Apple's built in photo/video/recording software is very good (I am aware that you can buy equally good programs for Windows but Mac is just another option for an OS and these programs are excellent).

PS: I don't have a Mac as I do use my PC for gaming but I would love to have one for work as they are just very nice machines to use.

No doubt some of the visual eye candy that comes with Macs is really nice. That's what is used as their selling point.

From what I read through the forums I visit which are very popular, most people buy any PC or laptop and expect it to do anything. They are baffled why their PC can't do this and can't do that even when it was very cheap in the first place.

Few people understand processing power or graphics cards etc to even get started. Lots of people buy a Mac purely based on it being an Apple and then realise it is not compatible and even when Bootcamped(which many people would not be able to do) the spec on a £1000 MacBook can't even run a game at low settings.

My opinion in the first place was that Apple products were overhyped and too expensive for what they are and I stand by that. For a very basic £1000 MacBook it's hard for people to accept it can't do a lot of features and functions that they would expect and you could get from a similarly priced laptop.

Somethings it does do well, like photo editing etc but on sheer power or graphics and gaming it's lacking.

Is that not a fair point?

Also if you want to do gaming, you really want a desktop.

Sadly people can't understand why a laptop can't match a desktop £ for £.

No doubt some of the visual eye candy that comes with Macs is really nice. That's what is used as their selling point.

From what I read through the forums I visit which are very popular, most people buy any PC or laptop and expect it to do anything. They are baffled why their PC can't do this and can't do that even when it was very cheap in the first place.

Few people understand processing power or graphics cards etc to even get started. Lots of people buy a Mac purely based on it being an Apple and then realise it is not compatible and even when Bootcamped(which many people would not be able to do) the spec on a £1000 MacBook can't even run a game at low settings.

My opinion in the first place was that Apple products were overhyped and too expensive for what they are and I stand by that. For a very basic £1000 MacBook it's hard for people to accept it can't do a lot of features and functions that they would expect and you could get from a similarly priced laptop.

Somethings it does do well, like photo editing etc but on sheer power or graphics and gaming it's lacking.

Is that not a fair point?

What's wrong with the power of MacBooks. The new standard range of MacBook pros have 4gig RAM standard and at the most basic a 2.3ghz i5. That's much better than the most Windows laptops for sale, the only range of laptops I can think of that blow that away is Alienware which is also horrifically priced.