aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Can someone please recommend a decent, non-clunky, streamlined audio player for windows? Something that has a nice simple organiser and whatnot. Preferably something just for audio, as I don't really watch any videos on my laptop. Windows and Apple seem to lock horns over who can produce the most godawful, memory hogging, screen freezing dogshit audio decoder imaginable, and it's neck and neck. iTunes is a hellhole, and WMP is just makes absolutely no sense.

Is Winamp still any good? Are there any others?

All of this should be bold, but it's not, because fuck you.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Guest Cool Thinker

Keep it plugged in at all times. This way the battery never runs out.

You're welcome.

Well until the electric provider shuts off your power for not paying the bills.

Anyone got any tips for extending the battery life on an iPhone 4S? Mine is dreadful. It needs charged twice a day.

When you're in a place with wi-fi, turn off 3G. Turn off bluetooth if you don't use it. Basically any of the radio/wireless functions that you don't need at any time, but especially 3G which is really battery hungry.

Turn down the screen brightness.

Turn off 'spotlight search' (Settings > General > Spotlight Search > uncheck all).

Turn off 'push' functions, revert to 'fetch' for mail, calendars, contacts.

Turn off location services when you don't need them.

• Upvote 1

When you're in a place with wi-fi, turn off 3G. Turn off bluetooth if you don't use it. Basically any of the radio/wireless functions that you don't need at any time, but especially 3G which is really battery hungry.

Turn down the screen brightness.

Turn off 'spotlight search' (Settings > General > Spotlight Search > uncheck all).

Turn off 'push' functions, revert to 'fetch' for mail, calendars, contacts.

Turn off location services when you don't need them.

I'll try some of that. Also avoid playing The Simpsons Tapped Out. What a battery drainer!

Yes, I've played a gig there.  It's a fantastic place, well worth a visit

What like was the turnout at your gig if you don't mind me asking?

The menu looks really good. Proper noms to be had!

Is it really open 24 hours a day? I'd feel so bad rocking up at 3 in the morning, dragging the chef out their bed demanding a curry or something.

Like I say looking at googlemaps it's a short trip from my house so I'll need to check it out.

Anyone got any tips for extending the battery life on an iPhone 4S? Mine is dreadful. It needs charged twice a day.

check to see which apps use location services (settings > privacy > location services). The main offenders for battery drain use location services even when the app is in the background so get shot of all the ones you don't use.

What like was the turnout at your gig if you don't mind me asking?

The menu looks really good. Proper noms to be had!

Is it really open 24 hours a day? I'd feel so bad rocking up at 3 in the morning, dragging the chef out their bed demanding a curry or something.

Like I say looking at googlemaps it's a short trip from my house so I'll need to check it out.

Oh it wasn't huge - 30-40 folk maybe?  Great atmosphere though, lots of people up dancing.  My wife took some panoramic photos (we were playing in the big bus shed):

03_left_panorama.jpg

I hope that scales down and doesn't mess the whole forum up!

On the front page of their cafe website it says "Please note: the Lastbus Works Canteen is now open Friday - Sunday 10am - 10pm" so probably best to go between those times in the first instance.  Also saw this - "The Works Canteen will shut down on 21 April 2013 for essential maintenance.  Re- opening provisionally scheduled for 11 May", so you might want to check first and make sure they're all up and running again.

Oh it wasn't huge - 30-40 folk maybe?  Great atmosphere though, lots of people up dancing.  My wife took some panoramic photos (we were playing in the big bus shed):

03_left_panorama.jpg

On the front page of their cafe website it says "Please note: the Lastbus Works Canteen is now open Friday - Sunday 10am - 10pm" so probably best to go between those times in the first instance.  Also saw this - "The Works Canteen will shut down on 21 April 2013 for essential maintenance.  Re- opening provisionally scheduled for 11 May", so you might want to check first and make sure they're all up and running again.

It looks really cool. Might take the missus there for lunch on Saturday!

Cheers for the info, much appreciated!

03_left_panorama.jpg

Reminds me of Grampian Transport Museum in Alford.

check to see which apps use location services (settings > privacy > location services). The main offenders for battery drain use location services even when the app is in the background so get shot of all the ones you don't use.

Youch, just checked that, there was tons of them. Hopefully that will help.