aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Guest Gladstone
It broke. Next question!

Any chance of fixing it? I sometimes log in from my iphone and the mobile site was much more user friendly for that purpose.

Fix it please, even if it is just for me...

Any chance of fixing it? I sometimes log in from my iphone and the mobile site was much more user friendly for that purpose.

Fix it please, even if it is just for me...

I second this, I use my phone for the site quite a lot but I've never used the mobile site mind - I got on the internet-phone bandwagon more recently than that..

Anyway - a mobile friendly version of the site would be lovely.

xx

I don't know a whole lot about it but if I recall correctly it was a vbulletin issue and out of our hands. I'll get our team of IT experts (ie Dave and Chris) to look into it though. There may be a new mobile site planned for the next site update, again, Dave or Chris are the best people to speak to. Start a thread in Technical Problems or PM them. I'm not the IT mod. I'm just here to kick ass and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum...

You can add my name to the petition of people wanting the mobile site back.

I refer you to my previous comment.

Start a thread in Technical Problems or PM them.

What would be the easier language for a complete beginner to tackle, Chinese or Japanese?

And secondly, which would be more useful?

I don't know which would be easier, but I would assume Japanese because I think 'Chinese' is made up of hundreds of varying dialects (Mandarin being the most common, I suppose), where Japanese is 'one' language.

I could be faaaar out.

I started learning Mandarin a few years ago and it was fucking tough, just kinda wondering if Japanese would be any easier. I was just doing it myself from a book and cd mind, would probably get on much better if I went to classes of some kind.

Nihao Adam xiansheng. Xie-xie.

I don't understand the voting system in Scotland. On one sheet we vote for our constituency. I get that. The person who wins in each constituency becomes an MSP. That bit I'm fine with. It's the second vote thing I don't get. Am I right in saying that the second vote is for the region, (North East Scotland) and in that you vote for a party. So how do they sort out the seven additional members from the results of that? ?(

How does one go about changing ones gas supplier? We're getting charged 50 a month flat rate, every month. I was paying less than that in my old flat with a gas meter, where the cost per units is higher, and had the heating on alot more than I do now. Would rather just be charged for what I use, since it barely gets used anyway.

Guest Gladstone
I don't understand the voting system in Scotland. On one sheet we vote for our constituency. I get that. The person who wins in each constituency becomes an MSP. That bit I'm fine with. It's the second vote thing I don't get. Am I right in saying that the second vote is for the region, (North East Scotland) and in that you vote for a party. So how do they sort out the seven additional members from the results of that? ?(

Proportionally as far as I know.

The parties get allocated a proportionate number of MSPs for the region in relation to the proportion of the votes they received in the region or something like that.

So, if SNP get's (for ease of counting) 3 sevenths of the vote, it will get 3 MSPs, Labour gets 2 sevenths, it gets 2, Conservative and Lib Dems get 1 seventh each, they get an MSP each.

(I think)

From aboutmyvote.co.uk

Who is elected?

There are 73 constituencies, each represented by one MSP. In each constituency the candidate with the most votes is elected; they do not need to get more than half of the votes cast. If there is a tie then a candidate is selected by the drawing of lots (i.e. a method of selection by chance such as tossing a coin or picking a name out of a hat).

There are also 8 regions, each electing 7 regional MSPs. There are therefore 56 regional seats; these seats are awarded using a formula. The formula is the total number of regional votes received by a party or independent candidate divided by the number of seats (constituency and regional) already gained in that region +1. The party with the highest result after the formula is applied gain an additional seat. The calculation is repeated until all the additional seats have been awarded.

So, for a party with no seats the number of votes received is divided by one, and so stays the same. If the party already has one seat in that region then its number of votes is divided by two, if it has two seats in that region it is divided by three, and so on.

This means that the more seats you have already won, the harder it is to gain extra seats, so the overall allocation of seats is proportional to the number of votes received. The number of seats each party has includes any constituency seats won in that region and regional seats already awarded.

The first regional seat that a party wins goes to the first person on its list for that region, the second seat to the second person, and so on, until the party has either not won any more seats or has run out of names on its list. An independent candidate is treated as though he or she were a party with only one name on its list.

How does one go about changing ones gas supplier? We're getting charged 50 a month flat rate, every month. I was paying less than that in my old flat with a gas meter, where the cost per units is higher, and had the heating on alot more than I do now. Would rather just be charged for what I use, since it barely gets used anyway.

Go here: Comparison sites for gas & electricity, car insurance & more | uSwitch.com

Do whatever it tells you to do to work out the cheapest supplier and then let them do everything for you. I think you can even go through some cashback website (such as Quidco or TopCashBack) to get free stuff on top of that too, if you can be arsed.

Guest Gladstone
Holy fuck that's convoluted. Still don't really understand it.

I totally understand that now. Here's an example to explain:

There are 4 parties, each with 4 candidates, vying for 4 regional seats.

Party A receives - 100 votes

Party B receives 40 votes

Party C - 20

Party D - 10

For seat 1 none of them already have a seat so you need to divide by 1 (0 seats + 1).

Party A gets seat 1.

Calculation for seat 2:

Party A - 100 / 2 (ie 1 seat +1) = 50

The others still have no seats so divide by 1 - Party B is second with 40

Party A wins seat 2.

Calculation for seat 3:

Party A 100 / 3 = 33.33

Party B 40 / 1 = 40

Party B wins seat 3.

Calculation for seat 4:

Party A 100 / 3 = 33.33

Party B 40 / 2 = 20

Party C 20 / 1 = 20

Party D 10 / 1 = 10

Party A wins seat 4.

Party A wins 3 seats and Party B wins 1.

I totally understand that now. Here's an example to explain:

There are 4 parties, each with 4 candidates, vying for 4 regional seats.

Party A receives - 100 votes

Party B receives 40 votes

Party C - 20

Party D - 10

For seat 1 none of them already have a seat so you need to divide by 1 (0 seats + 1).

Party A gets seat 1.

Calculation for seat 2:

Party A - 100 / 2 (ie 1 seat +1) = 50

The others still have no seats so divide by 1 - Party B is second with 40

Party A wins seat 2.

Calculation for seat 3:

Party A 100 / 3 = 33.33

Party B 40 / 1 = 40

Party B wins seat 3.

Calculation for seat 4:

Party A 100 / 3 = 33.33

Party B 40 / 2 = 20

Party C 20 / 1 = 20

Party D 10 / 1 = 10

Party A wins seat 4.

Party A wins 3 seats and Party B wins 1.

You forgot to add the number of constituency seats the party has won.

You have to divide by constituency seats+regional seats+1.

In the above scenario, if there were 5 constituency seats and party A has won 4 and party B has won 1, you would have a three way tie for the first seat

A: 100/(4+0+1)=20

B: 40/(1+0+1)=20

C: 20/(0+0+1)=20

Working that out party C would win at least one seat.

An interesting way of doing it.

Say, for example, you wanted to vote Green, but you knew they had no chance of winning the constituency. You might vote for your "best of a bad bunch" major party candidate in the constituency but Green in the regional. Since the Greens would be unlikely to win any constituency seats they would need much less votes in the regional to secure one of the seats.