aberdeen-music

Kilau Christmas CD time again!!!!!!

Alan Cynic

Finally had a chance to listen.

Faves for me were Ryan, Oxbow Lake, Kitchen Cynics (great job of making it sound like a Kitchen Cynics original) and Foxhunting.

However one track stood head and shoulders above any of the others for me, and that was Ryan's version of Little Saint Nick. Quite an amazingly brilliant version. Didn't directly copy the Beach Boys original, instead made it sound like a slightly different era of Beach Boys, Pet Sounds or something. Lots and lots of layers going on, made me quite embarassed about my half arsed effort that took me about half an hour.

Finally had a chance to listen.

Faves for me were Ryan, Oxbow Lake, Kitchen Cynics (great job of making it sound like a Kitchen Cynics original) and Foxhunting.

However one track stood head and shoulders above any of the others for me, and that was Ryan's version of Little Saint Nick. Quite an amazingly brilliant version. Didn't directly copy the Beach Boys original, instead made it sound like a slightly different era of Beach Boys, Pet Sounds or something. Lots and lots of layers going on, made me quite embarassed about my half arsed effort that took me about half an hour.

Aw shucks :O Thanks man that's really nice of you to say. The sound I was aiming for was like a live band busking on the streets at Christmas time - I don't know if I quite achieved that but I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. It didn't take up too much time, just a few evenings after work, and the arrangement was mostly done on the fly. In fact, all praise for how well it actually turned out should go to:

Got one on Saturday, it's a lovely compilation for winter motoring. I likes The Matricarians, Dusty Valentino, Les Pelicans and Kopi Luwak especially.

Who not only produced it, he did all the recording, helped me to work out and arrange all the vocal parts, sat up until the wee small hours mixing it all and getting all the levels right for 8 fucking vocal parts, put up with me re-recording the piano parts over and over again because I can't play the piano, allowed me to completely re-do the coda 2 days before the deadline after I discovered I'd fucked it up, lent his considerable bass and bongo playing skills to the recording, and still found time to keep me in cups of tea and the odd steak dinner. Cheers Ron! :up:

Though the backing vocals are STILL too fucking quiet....

Any help for someone in the U.S. who would love to have these?

Hi, I live in the U.S. (sunny San Diego) and heard about these compilations last year from their play time on WFMU. Been dying to get a copy (I love alternative holiday music -- strange obsession, I know). Is there any way that someone can send me a copy of this year's Kilau compilation as well as, for my *perfect* holiday, the ones from previous years or this year's "best of" comp of the past years? Even a copy or set of high bit-rate MP3s will do if the physical copies are all gone. Happy to send PayPal $$$ to anyone to cover time, postage and my gratitude -- even happy to pay 3x what each one costs you lucky Aberdeenians. Just would hope that the money can make it back to Kilau and the bands, or a good local cause. And also happy to pass my copies along to Jon Solomon at WPRB who does a very well-followed 24-hour Christmas music marathon show (give it a listen on Christmas Eve!) and would hope that he would select some tracks to give some airtime.

Can anyone share some of this holiday love with me?

Merry Christmas to all!

sltomlin@gmail.com

esstee...PM me your address and I'll pop one in the post (I sent one to Irene at WFMU). They'll be after Christmas though...the post here has been snowslowed a bit.

Lucky.....I didn't send any out to local radio (although I should've....sorry)...I think Beetlejuice said he'd pass his on though.

Fox....it'll happen sometime...I remember the absolute thrill when John Peel played one of mine, and when Irene Trudel played some in New York. You should check her show on Monday (between 5 and 8 pm UK time....or 'listen again')....I'm hoping she might play another song from the Kilau one....fingers crossed.