aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I don't subscribe to the notion that there is any deliberate bias among referees towards the Old Firm. What I would say, with my rose-tinted specs on, is that there is a fear factor among our referees re. awarding big decisions against the OF....particularly on their own patch. Countless Dons games vs the OF that I've attended have convinced me of this. I always watch games on TV that I've attended to try and clarify any controversial incidents that I was outraged about at the ground, hopefully in a more impartial state of mind! In my experience, this rarely changes my view of the original decision.

The point has been made that "more time in the opposition box = more penalties", which is a pretty obvious and correct statement to make, and I don't think anyone would dispute that. Also, nobody is saying that the OF get 100% of the decisions ALL the time, so sure, the OF will often have an axe to grind about injustices they've suffered too.....but in my experience the OF get the rub of the green far too often.

Of course, all this is open to interpretation, and it would be far more instructive to get opinions from impartial fans who are uninvolved with either the OF or the clubs that bear the brunt of any perceived injustice.

For what it's worth here's my take on last night:

1st Pen: Definite penalty, probably a red on most nights some would've given a yellow

2nd Pen: Outside the box, no pen, red for last man.

3rd Pen: Not a fucking chance, Diouf went over under the lightest touch. Definitely not a red, i guess quite a few refs would give a pen though.

I don't buy into the old firm bias either, i just think the standard of referees in this country is unbelievably poor.

Guest Gladstone
Absolutely appalling and very sad.

Had that letter been opened, the consequences are pretty unthinkable. Hopefully the police find them, and lock them up permanently.

The thing that I'm feeling is worse with all of this is that they're coming out and quite clearly saying they don't think it's the usual groups because of the "quality" of the bombs - i.e. someone who isn't an expert at making the bombs has probably looked up a website or something and sent it off.

On another forum when those bullets got sent in the post, Rangers fans were falling over themselves to say that it had "nothing to do with football" or nothing to do with the fact that Neil Lennon was Celtic manager! They were saying that it was a problem in Ireland, and it was the terrorists in Ireland that would be responsible etc and saying it would have nothing to do with Rangers fans. I'm not saying this is Rangers fans. But it's almost certain that it has got a lot to do with the fact that Neil Lennon is the Celtic manager. Fucking disgusting though. As you say, if a bomb had gone off in Lennoxtown, that could have had some very serious consequences.

The thing is, it is not necessarily the case that referees are going onto the park with the conscious intention of aiding whichever cheek of the Old Firm arse is playing that week; more likely, the crowd's response, 'wily old pros' (read 'cheating scumbags') like Weir and Brown being in their face at any opportunity, and the fundamentally flawed (albeit somewhat understandable) unconscious belief that every decision matters more when it involves Rangers or Celtic. Because the media scrutiny will be intense, because there will be phone-ins and articles and messageboard meltdown and, in Dougie McDonald's case, a concerted attempt to punt the ref out of his job, the decisions seem to carry more significance. Nobody wants to be the official who denied Celtic the penalty that cost them the title, or who sent off the Rangers player at Tynecastle in a must-win game. The evidence bears this out, in my opinion.

It is all very well saying that Willie Collum got most of the decisions right yesterday; good! That's the least that is expected of a referee! When I was a ref I knew this; Willie Collum must know this. However, you must get the BIG decisions right, and he has now awarded five penalties and four red cards in favour of the Old Firm teams in two matches; can you hand on heart say that even 6 out of those nine decisions were justified and correct? I certainly couldn't.

He and most of the other referees in this country are predisposed towards bottling key decisions when the OF are involved, because the stakes are apparently so high in their games.

Guest Gladstone
The thing is, it is not necessarily the case that referees are going onto the park with the conscious intention of aiding whichever cheek of the Old Firm arse is playing that week; more likely, the crowd's response, 'wily old pros' (read 'cheating scumbags') like Weir and Brown being in their face at any opportunity, and the fundamentally flawed (albeit somewhat understandable) unconscious belief that every decision matters more when it involves Rangers or Celtic. Because the media scrutiny will be intense, because there will be phone-ins and articles and messageboard meltdown and, in Dougie McDonald's case, a concerted attempt to punt the ref out of his job, the decisions seem to carry more significance. Nobody wants to be the official who denied Celtic the penalty that cost them the title, or who sent off the Rangers player at Tynecastle in a must-win game. The evidence bears this out, in my opinion.

It is all very well saying that Willie Collum got most of the decisions right yesterday; good! That's the least that is expected of a referee! When I was a ref I knew this; Willie Collum must know this. However, you must get the BIG decisions right, and he has now awarded five penalties and four red cards in favour of the Old Firm teams in two matches; can you hand on heart say that even 6 out of those nine decisions were justified and correct? I certainly couldn't.

He and most of the other referees in this country are predisposed towards bottling key decisions when the OF are involved, because the stakes are apparently so high in their games.

Hand on heart, my take on his BIG decisions in the last 2 games:

Considine taking down Hooper in the box - penalty and red card for denying a goalscoring opportunity. 2 out of 2

Young taking down Stokes - penalty (but a soft one). I think this was more Young's stupidity than anything else. 3 out of 3.

Utd player taking Naismith out of the game - penalty and red card. 5 out of 5.

Jelavic getting taken down just outside of the box - shouldn't have been a penalty and I don't think it denied a goalscoring opportunity so no red card. 5 out of 7

Diouff incident. Very difficult to see from the replay, but a strict interpretation of the rules and it was probably the correct decision, but I do think that about 19 times out of 20 that wouldn't be given as a penalty and even less times as a red card. So, if you go by the letter of the law, probably 7 out of 9, but on the basis of what I think refs would normally do, 5 out of 9.

It is all down to interpretation though so many times. Phil (Utd fan) thinks the second one was a red card (albeit not a penalty), but thinks the Diouff incident was never a penalty or red card in a million years.

I don't disagree that the crowd pressure sways decisions, and guys like Weir, Brown etc manage to get decisions in their favour (especially Weir to be honest - I don't really think refs like Brown and he tends to get booked now and again for absolutely nothing...!), but this isn't unique to the old firm or to Scotland. It happens everywhere in the world. Man Utd under Fergie have been doing it for years. Not saying it makes it right, but there's no way to get round it - I wouldn't really call that "bias" because the referee doesn't do it consciously to favour Celtic or Rangers or whoever. In fact, the only sure way round it is the use of video replays on every single "big" decision. I personally think that would ruin the game, and I don't think it would make much difference - the big teams will continue to dominate regardless of this because I think on the whole the big decisions are ruled correctly, and sometimes wrong but not in favour of the big teams as well as sometimes in favour of the big teams. Not saying it completely evens itself out all the time.

Holy shit! What was going through his head when he posted that?! Did he not think it would be picked up on?

Further proof that most footballers are thick as fuck.

Edit: just read he is only 16.

Double edit: That doesn't change anything. Still a fud.

I'm sure everyone hated Sergio Ramos enough already but this further adds to his glory

Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos dropped the Copa del Rey from the top of the team bus during celebrations after their 1-0 victory over Barcelona on Wednesday. The bus then ran over the trophy leaving emergency services to gather up the broken pieces and return them to the bus. The trophy did not reappear at the club's traditional celebration spot of the Plaza de Cibeles in central Madrid

Guest Gladstone
Holy shit! What was going through his head when he posted that?! Did he not think it would be picked up on?

Further proof that most footballers are thick as fuck.

Edit: just read he is only 16.

Double edit: That doesn't change anything. Still a fud.

I've seen too many posts of this nature on facebook for my liking. It's absolutely disgusting. I have a mate who is 28 and a Rangers fan. He's normally a reasonable guy, but he's posted some sick stuff about Neil Lennon on his facebook, and then some of his other Rangers supporting mates have laughed, joined in, etc.

Wishing death on another human being is unacceptable, particularly when their worst crime seems to be being a bit of a mink/dick and playing for Celtic.

I don't quite understand why Neil Lennon gets quite so much negative attention. I get why he receives it, because he was always a prickly character on the pitch, and he's done some stupid things, and said some stupid things as a manager. What he seems to do is just say what he thinks most of the time though - which a lot of people disagree with. I'm not defending any of his behaviour, because some of it has been out of hand. But there are others out there in the world of football that are every bit as bad and some a lot worse who get nowhere near the same attention that Lennon does.

I mean, all the jibes from opposition fans etc are par for the course, but the minute he starts to get death threats, bullets in the post and now a fucking bomb, every single decent human being should be condemning the idiots behind it, but instead you have people making wise cracks about the bomb in the post, and some wishing the bomb had got to him. If that bomb had somehow got through to Lennoxtown and Lennon had opened it, we'd be looking at the assassination of a fucking football manager, and not to mention anyone else who may have been in the vicinity. We live in a fucked up society.

I've seen too many posts of this nature on facebook for my liking. It's absolutely disgusting. I have a mate who is 28 and a Rangers fan. He's normally a reasonable guy, but he's posted some sick stuff about Neil Lennon on his facebook, and then some of his other Rangers supporting mates have laughed, joined in, etc.

Wishing death on another human being is unacceptable, particularly when their worst crime seems to be being a bit of a mink/dick and playing for Celtic.

I don't quite understand why Neil Lennon gets quite so much negative attention. I get why he receives it, because he was always a prickly character on the pitch, and he's done some stupid things, and said some stupid things as a manager. What he seems to do is just say what he thinks most of the time though - which a lot of people disagree with. I'm not defending any of his behaviour, because some of it has been out of hand. But there are others out there in the world of football that are every bit as bad and some a lot worse who get nowhere near the same attention that Lennon does.

I mean, all the jibes from opposition fans etc are par for the course, but the minute he starts to get death threats, bullets in the post and now a fucking bomb, every single decent human being should be condemning the idiots behind it, but instead you have people making wise cracks about the bomb in the post, and some wishing the bomb had got to him. If that bomb had somehow got through to Lennoxtown and Lennon had opened it, we'd be looking at the assassination of a fucking football manager, and not to mention anyone else who may have been in the vicinity. We live in a fucked up society.

The reason Lennon is hated universally is because his behaviour as a manager is just as bad as when he was a player. He doesn't seem to act with any responsibility for the role he's in....he's aggressive, confrontational, just a downright cunt.

The fact he only retired a few years ago makes Lennon more of a target because all fans, young and old, remember just what an odious little bastard he was as a player.

Obviously none of that justifies bombs/bullets etc being sent in the post which is just a horrific, chicken-shit piece of terrorism. Lennon walked from International football after threats significantly less serious than this. If he decides to continue at Celtic after this, then despite my dislike for the guy, he deserves some respect. Can't be easy going to work knowing that some bomb-wielding fucknut wants you dead.

Guest Gladstone
The reason Lennon is hated universally is because his behaviour as a manager is just as bad as when he was a player. He doesn't seem to act with any responsibility for the role he's in....he's aggressive, confrontational, just a downright cunt.

The fact he only retired a few years ago makes Lennon more of a target because all fans, young and old, remember just what an odious little bastard he was as a player.

Obviously none of that justifies bombs/bullets etc being sent in the post which is just a horrific, chicken-shit piece of terrorism. Lennon walked from International football after threats significantly less serious than this. If he decides to continue at Celtic after this, then despite my dislike for the guy, he deserves some respect. Can't be easy going to work knowing that some bomb-wielding fucknut wants you dead.

He's aggressive and confrontational, I'll agree with, but a downright cunt? This is kind of what I'm getting at - I think that people's negative opinion of Lennon seems to be multiplied for some reason. He has always received loads and loads of extra attention for being aggressive and confrontational. I think one of the reasons it gets worse is because he doesn't shy away from it. Perhaps he should, but it's not in the guy's nature. Other guys who are aggressive and confrontational in football don't get the same attention. In Scotland over the past few years, you've had guys like Scott Brown, Paul Hartley, Lee McCulloch, Nacho Novo, Fernando Ricksen, Alan Thomson, Chris Sutton and I'm sure many others. Some of them got a bit of extra attention from fans at matches, but that was about it. This thing with Neil Lennon is a nationwide hatred that seems to have been magnified beyond belief for some reason. I just don't understand why so many people can hate a man so much that they have never met before. Particularly when the majority of his bad behaviour has been consigned to a football field. I've played football against far worse cunts than Neil Lennon before, many a time - you know the kind of amateur player that actually tries to hurt people on a Saturday afternoon. All Lennon's behaviour is mostly of the shouty sweary type, which isn't great obviously, but he didn't go about hitting people knee high with tackles or throwing his elbows about etc.

He's aggressive and confrontational, I'll agree with, but a downright cunt? This is kind of what I'm getting at - I think that people's negative opinion of Lennon seems to be multiplied for some reason. He has always received loads and loads of extra attention for being aggressive and confrontational. I think one of the reasons it gets worse is because he doesn't shy away from it. Perhaps he should, but it's not in the guy's nature. Other guys who are aggressive and confrontational in football don't get the same attention. In Scotland over the past few years, you've had guys like Scott Brown, Paul Hartley, Lee McCulloch, Nacho Novo, Fernando Ricksen, Alan Thomson, Chris Sutton and I'm sure many others. Some of them got a bit of extra attention from fans at matches, but that was about it. This thing with Neil Lennon is a nationwide hatred that seems to have been magnified beyond belief for some reason. I just don't understand why so many people can hate a man so much that they have never met before. Particularly when the majority of his bad behaviour has been consigned to a football field. I've played football against far worse cunts than Neil Lennon before, many a time - you know the kind of amateur player that actually tries to hurt people on a Saturday afternoon. All Lennon's behaviour is mostly of the shouty sweary type, which isn't great obviously, but he didn't go about hitting people knee high with tackles or throwing his elbows about etc.

It's not in his nature to back down, and that's the problem. He's in a position of real responsibility now, and that sort of in-your-face aggression just isn't appropriate anymore. His attitude stinks. I don't think he was the dirtiest player ever, but I certainly remember him making more than his fair share of "clever" off-the-ball fouls, but his demeanour on the pitch always made you hate him disproportionally. If there was any kind of argy-bargy, he was always the first player to get involved in it.

You listed a number of Rangers/Celtic players...the likes of Sutton, Thomson always played the game in a fair enough way and I don't think they would ever attract as much attention as Lennon..indeed, I don't think they ever did as players either really. However, if the likes of Ricksen, Brown, McCulloch ever ended up managing their respective clubs, they'd get pelters the same way Lennon does and for exactly the same reasons.

Guest Gladstone
It's not in his nature to back down, and that's the problem. He's in a position of real responsibility now, and that sort of in-your-face aggression just isn't appropriate anymore. His attitude stinks. I don't think he was the dirtiest player ever, but I certainly remember him making more than his fair share of "clever" off-the-ball fouls, but his demeanour on the pitch always made you hate him disproportionally. If there was any kind of argy-bargy, he was always the first player to get involved in it.

You listed a number of Rangers/Celtic players...the likes of Sutton, Thomson always played the game in a fair enough way and I don't think they would ever attract as much attention as Lennon..indeed, I don't think they ever did as players either really. However, if the likes of Ricksen, Brown, McCulloch ever ended up managing their respective clubs, they'd get pelters the same way Lennon does and for exactly the same reasons.

But - the hatred of Lennon started long before he took over as manager.

Sutton and Thomson played the game in a fair way? Without looking it up I bet they both have more red cards in their careers than Lennon does.

Sutton in particular was a real dirty player. I don't think he was the kind of player to properly try and hurt anyone, but he challenged for every ball elbow first. Thomson was prone to a really rash challenge. He either scored or got sent off in old firm games, and I would dare say that in any sort of argy-bargy, Thomson would have been there before Lennon (but maybe just cos he could run slightly faster...).

I disagree that Brown, Ricksen or McCulloch would get anywhere near the same attention that Lennon has received. They don't receive the attention he got as a player.

EDIT: Sick Facebook picture shows Celtic boss Neil Lennon riddled with bullet holes | Metro.co.uk

But - the hatred of Lennon started long before he took over as manager.

Sutton and Thomson played the game in a fair way? Without looking it up I bet they both have more red cards in their careers than Lennon does.

Sutton in particular was a real dirty player. I don't think he was the kind of player to properly try and hurt anyone, but he challenged for every ball elbow first. Thomson was prone to a really rash challenge. He either scored or got sent off in old firm games, and I would dare say that in any sort of argy-bargy, Thomson would have been there before Lennon (but maybe just cos he could run slightly faster...).

I disagree that Brown, Ricksen or McCulloch would get anywhere near the same attention that Lennon has received. They don't receive the attention he got as a player.

Isn't it likely that any "extra" attention Lennon gets, is purely Old Firm related and comes from Rangers fans who think his Irish background justifies giving him a harder time than most? As a Dons fan, I was never aware of Lennon being vilified any more than e.g. Ricksen....and I seriously doubt that there aren't a dozen other players that across the country, are disliked as much as Lennon was.

Guest Gladstone
Isn't it likely that any "extra" attention Lennon gets, is purely Old Firm related and comes from Rangers fans who think his Irish background justifies giving him a harder time than most? As a Dons fan, I was never aware of Lennon being vilified any more than e.g. Ricksen....and I seriously doubt that there aren't a dozen other players that across the country, are disliked as much as Lennon was.

I think that's the main factor, but it goes farther than that with Lennon. Perhaps Dons fans disliked Ricksen as much as Lennon, but Dons fans hate Rangers as much (if not more...) as Celtic fans do (or so the song goes anyway ;))

I don't think Ricksen got that treatment from all the teams in Scotland. And don't forget the reason for the special attention he got from Dons fans after "sorting out" one of your young players - I forget which one it was. Ricksen was just a fucking fanny really. Probably not the best example of an overly aggressive player - he was just an idiot. I guess I picked him out because he did get extra attention from Dons fans.

Lennon gets 'extra' attention because he rises to it, aggravating trouble and argument rather than trying to calm it down, despite being in a position of authority and not only a role model to Celtic fans worldwide but the players in his team. If he can't control himself what hope do we have that the players out on the pitch will behave, and arguably more importantly that the fans in the crowd will behave?

He's a disgusting little man that loves to play the victim in order to get his way with the instutitions that runs the game in Scotland, yet is the single worst offender in this country that I have ever known (as a manager). Harks back to what was said earlier about him now having referees in a position where they're (subconciously or otherwise) scared to make the big calls against his team.

FWIW, I'm not for a second condoning the appalling fact he's been sent a bomb in the post - I truly hope all of that nonsense stops and the people responsible are locked up. Football is just a game FFS.

Guest Gladstone
Lennon gets 'extra' attention because he rises to it, aggravating trouble and argument rather than trying to calm it down, despite being in a position of authority and not only a role model to Celtic fans worldwide but the players in his team. If he can't control himself what hope do we have that the players out on the pitch will behave, and arguably more importantly that the fans in the crowd will behave?

He's a disgusting little man that loves to play the victim in order to get his way with the instutitions that runs the game in Scotland, yet is the single worst offender in this country that I have ever known (as a manager). Harks back to what was said earlier about him now having referees in a position where they're (subconciously or otherwise) scared to make the big calls against his team.

FWIW, I'm not for a second condoning the appalling fact he's been sent a bomb in the post - I truly hope all of that nonsense stops and the people responsible are locked up. Football is just a game FFS.

I must not be seeing how bad he is because I'm a Celtic fan. I try to not have the green tinted specs on but I really don't think he's as bad as he's made out to be. I agree that he is in a position of authority and should behave with more dignity, but he's not the first and certainly won't be the last.

The death threats (I know this has nothing to do with what you guys on here say about him) started whilst he was still playing, as did the treatment he got round the country. There was no "position of authority" back then - there is of course the argument that he in the public arena and has a responsibility to act in a particular way, but that's a football-wide problem that affects hundreds of players who don't know how to behave themselves on the pitch or more importantly off the pitch. Neil Lennon's track record off the pitch isn't perfect, but it's very far from being as bad as some players.

I was of the impression that the death threats are basically because he's a Catholic Northern Irishman playing for Celtic. I think religion is more to blame than football, although that's a whole other story.

On a much lighter note, in fucking ace news, Aberdeen have confirmed that Adidas are to be our long-term shirt suppliers.

Aberdeen Sign Long Term Kit Partnership with adidas | Club News | Club News | News and Features | Aberdeen

I particularly enjoy this line:

adidas and Aberdeen share some unique history from when we last partnered in 1979-87...

Bring on the retro remakes!

aberdeen-home-football-shirt-1984-1986-s_564_1.jpg

:D

Guest Gladstone
I was of the impression that the death threats are basically because he's a Catholic Northern Irishman playing for Celtic. I think religion is more to blame than football, although that's a whole other story.

On a much lighter note, in fucking ace news, Aberdeen have confirmed that Adidas are to be our long-term shirt suppliers.

Aberdeen Sign Long Term Kit Partnership with adidas | Club News | Club News | News and Features | Aberdeen

I particularly enjoy this line:

Bring on the retro remakes!

aberdeen-home-football-shirt-1984-1986-s_564_1.jpg

:D

That's where the death threats originally came from I think - so yeah, that point probably isn't relevant for during his playing career. The current bombs in the post etc are suggested to have nothing to do with terrorist organisations from across the water though. Fucking scary shit anyway - apparently there may have been a fourth bomb sent to another Celtic director. This is completely out of hand. People involved in fucking football getting sent bombs because of the team they are associated with is just ridiculous.

That old Aberdeen top is pretty cool...

With Neil Lennon, I'd agree the hatred comes from his behaviour as a manager. The aggression he shows on the touchline, comments made about refs etc isn't behaviour you expect from a manager. He certainly needs to learn to control himself, not wade in with opinions and act with more respect towards his fellow officials.

I can't stand Neil Lennon and I find his attitude disgraceful BUT in a way I'm glad he's in the game. Football has players you love to hate and fortunately the vast majority of fans know to treat such players/managers as panto villians. The downside is there are the knuckledraggers who take it too far and the bomb and death threats towards Lennon et al are an utter disgrace, beyond belief really. I dare say this level of hatred goes beyond football but I hope it means he doesn't walk away from the game, nobody deserves that.

I must not be seeing how bad he is because I'm a Celtic fan. I try to not have the green tinted specs on but I really don't think he's as bad as he's made out to be. I agree that he is in a position of authority and should behave with more dignity, but he's not the first and certainly won't be the last.

The death threats (I know this has nothing to do with what you guys on here say about him) started whilst he was still playing, as did the treatment he got round the country. There was no "position of authority" back then - there is of course the argument that he in the public arena and has a responsibility to act in a particular way, but that's a football-wide problem that affects hundreds of players who don't know how to behave themselves on the pitch or more importantly off the pitch. Neil Lennon's track record off the pitch isn't perfect, but it's very far from being as bad as some players.

It's a conspiracy, it's a conspiracy...

Neil Lennon is a cunt, has always been a cunt and always will be a cunt. Fucking horse-faced, whining, ultra-aggressive, cheating mink, I fucking despise the bastard but anyone who bothers to threaten someone's life, or even just threaten someone physically, over a game of football should be locked up for a long long time. Absolutely ridiculous.