aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Can someone explain why Hearts are apparently so keen to sign Zander Diamond?

Committed and brave, perhaps, but positionally weak, gets bullied by big strikers and has a long history of defensive blundering.

I'd love to see the back of him, just have no idea why Hearts think he'll improve their team.

I feel reasonably optimistic for next season, because we've some decent youngsters coming through/fit again (Fyvie, Robertson, Grimmer etc).

Also Pawlett - has been unlucky with injuries this year, has not looked the player he was before picking them up.

A decent pre-season under his belt and hopefully we'll see the best of him again.

All games are now effectively meaningless and as such they should definitely look at reducing ticket prices for the remaining league fixtures.

Guest Gladstone
Just read today that Celtic have scored 21 goals against us this season - and only 5 of them have been against the full 11 men.

That tells me that Aberdeen need to work on their discipline... ;)

Guest Gladstone
7 penalties conceded to them this season as well.

And they moan about conspiracies?

How many of the penalties and red cards were unjustified?

I've watched and watched the replays from Sunday and both penalties were justified and it was a definite red card. (Second penalty was soft, but a stupid challenge from Young that he didn't need to make)

So that's 2 penalties from 7 that I reckon were definitely justified and 4 of those goals scored against 10 men when the red card was justified. I suspect the rest will be the same.

I don't buy into conspiracy threory bollocks. I think some of the refs are sometimes shit and make wrong decisions, but I think Collum got it spot on yesterday.

Guest Gladstone
The penalties were soft as fuck.

Minimal or no contact at all.

Bunch of wifies playing fitba these days.

You'd have been screaming for penalties and red cards if it happened at the other end. A hunner percent.

It was shaping up to be a decent game until the red card.

While I agree that the ref made the right decision re. awarding the pen and sending Considine off, I think it's a ludicrous rule that needs looking at.

To award a penalty AND reduce the team to 10 men for a non-dangerous tackle is a massive over-punishment and destroyed the game as a contest. Penalty is more than sufficient.

Collum observed the rule correctly, but the rule is fucking dumb IMHO.

Guest Gladstone
But would they have been given?

Yes, they fucking would have been given and you know it.

There are more penalties for Celtic against Aberdeen because we spend more time in your fucking box because Celtic is a better team.

Them's the facts.

I don't mean to be a knob about it, because I do genuinely want Aberdeen to win games (when they're not playing Celtic) and I generally can't be arsed with football arguments these days, but the game was refereed fairly yesterday.

Aberdeen were looking pretty good until the red card, but unfortunately, that's the rule and it was correctly applied.

I agree with the dude above that a red card is harsh in that situation, because denying a goal scoring opportunity could easily be replaced with another goalscoring opportunity (i.e. a penalty). The form Langfield was on yesterday, he may well have saved Hooper's shot, and instead he saved the penalty. You watch the replays and you see that Considine stuck his foot in, but it was an attempt at the ball and he knocked Hooper off his stride. A penalty would have been punishment enough, but Collum couldn't very well decide not to send him off on that basis, because the rule says otherwise.

Yes, they fucking would have been given and you know it.

Well I think you're wrong because I seriously doubt they would have been.

The standard of refereeing in Scotland is nothing short of appalling and red-tinted specs off, this includes bias towards the Old Firm in games involving Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and so on vs Rangers and Celtic, not to mention the governing bodies and their fucking ineptitude at dealing with sectarianism and their constant 'bringing the game into disrepute'.

Neil Lennon's downright disgraceful behaviour earlier in the season means he has referees in his back pooch.

You don't see it because you're a Celtic fan, but believe me - the rest of Scotland knows.

FTOF

Guest Gladstone
Well I think you're wrong because I seriously doubt they would have been.

The standard of refereeing in Scotland is nothing short of appalling and red-tinted specs off, this includes bias towards the Old Firm in games involving Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Motherwell and so on vs Rangers and Celtic, not to mention the governing bodies and their fucking ineptitude at dealing with sectarianism and their constant 'bringing the game into disrepute'.

Neil Lennon's downright disgraceful behaviour earlier in the season means he has referees in his back pooch.

You don't see it because you're a Celtic fan, but believe me - the rest of Scotland knows.

FTOF

Bollocks. Lennon does not have the refs in his back pooch. After the last old firm game, he was the only one who got retrospective punishment. If anything, he's pissed off the SFA even more, when he should have kept it shut and got on with his original ban.

I'm not a total "fanboy" anymore when it comes to watching Celtic and call it like it is. We got beat fair and square in the CIS cup final v Rangers who outplayed us, got their tactics right, and kept their discipline (unlike the previous game).

Dons fans can be the most paranoid in the league in my experience. Do you honestly look at the decisions yesterday and think Collum called them wrong, and that he called them wrong through some sort of "old firm bias"?? Honestly?

If Vernon had gone clean through on goal and Mulgrew had tripped him, I have absolutely no doubt it would have been a penalty and a red card. And Celtic fans would have crucified Mulgrew for it, not the ref. The second penalty was a foul, but a very a soft one. I'm quite surprised it was given because the game was already over. I've seen as many decisions go against Celtic as against Aberdeen in the games I've watched over the past few years. Most of the time the ones against Celtic get glossed over because we've still won the match. One example was a few seasons back when we won 5-1 at Pittodrie. McGeady got booked for getting hoofed off the ball, and a stone wall penalty was turned away at 5-1 up (maybe it was 4-1 - it was game over anyway). It happens both ways, but Dons fans just fail to see all the decisions in their favour because they've lost the game anyway.

I'm not talking exclusively about the game yesterday. I was hammered and have yet to see the key decisions on TV so will reserve judgement on them until then.

I'm talking generally. There is a bias towards the Old Firm that runs through Scottish football - the SFA, the SPL, the media to name three. Whether you choose to believe that or not is entirely up to you, but it certainly exists.

Guest Gladstone
I'm not talking exclusively about the game yesterday. I was hammered and have yet to see the key decisions on TV so will reserve judgement on them until then.

I'm talking generally. There is a bias towards the Old Firm that runs through Scottish football - the SFA, the SPL, the media to name three. Whether you choose to believe that or not is entirely up to you, but it certainly exists.

Complete shite (in my opinion).

Agree, ridiculous decision he's been injured half the season. Wilshere has been good but Nani should have got Young Player award as well.

Nani should have got the main one, though he wasn't nominated. I wouldn't say he's "young" either. That award should be for under 21's in my opinion.

Nani has been by far the most effective attacking player in the division, along with Nasri. Both have raked up ridiculous amounts of assists and plenty of goals too.

Bale's best performance came against a constantly out of position full back in Europe. He's done alright in the league when he's played, but nothing outstanding. He's not even been Spurs best player (Modric) nevermind the League's best player.

Nani should have got the main one, though he wasn't nominated. I wouldn't say he's "young" either. That award should be for under 21's in my opinion.

Nani has been by far the most effective attacking player in the division, along with Nasri. Both have raked up ridiculous amounts of assists and plenty of goals too.

Yeah we were discussing at work last week how rediculous it was that he wasn't in the main category.

We should set up the A-MSPLCDP (Aberdeen-Music Scottish Premier League Contentious Decisions Panel) for the start of next season with representatives from the fanbase of as many clubs as we have on here. We'll look at all games in the SPL, contentious decisions/non-decisions and who they favoured and tally them up at the end of the season.

Bale's best performance came against a constantly out of position full back in Europe. He's done alright in the league when he's played, but nothing outstanding. He's not even been Spurs best player (Modric) nevermind the League's best player.

All of this post is 100% on the fucking money.

Guest Gladstone
We should set up the A-MSPLCDP (Aberdeen-Music Scottish Premier League Contentious Decisions Panel) for the start of next season with representatives from the fanbase of as many clubs as we have on here. We'll look at all games in the SPL, contentious decisions/non-decisions and who they favoured and tally them up at the end of the season.

Inidividual bias against my beloved and persecuted Celtic would prevent this from functioning properly...