aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Barton bemused by snub | England Football Team News, Fixtures, Results | Sky Sports

This is actually hilarious. I'm not sure I agree that he is the best midfielder in England but they way he lays in to Barry is brilliant! Its also true. "I suppose Wilshere is alright" is total BS mind you. He maybe is worth a shout for England. I think guys like Lampard and Gerrard have had their time in the set-up.

Not that I care.

As much as Joey Barton is essentially a thug (notwithstanding his 'reformed' status), he's a cracking player.

Agreed, good holding midfielders that have an eye for dictating tempo and playmaking are hard to come by at a decent level and i think he would do a decent job and a certain squad pick for England if he hadn't been such a jobbie in the past.

Agreed, good holding midfielders that have an eye for dictating tempo and playmaking are hard to come by at a decent level and i think he would do a decent job and a certain squad pick for England if he hadn't been such a jobbie in the past.

Truth. Only player who does it better than him who is English is Owen Hargreaves in my opinion, but he is dead/MIA/got a knee boo-boo. He's certainly better than Gaz Baz. Tom Huddlestone's got mad potential, but with all his injuries and his tender age, it's difficult to tell how good he is just yet. Hope he gets a good run of games/form soon. Great striker of the ball, whether he's knocking it about or pelting it goalwards.

Carrick from 3 years ago too. He's been guff this season though, except for the past 2 or 3 games, where he's been top banana. Especially that pass for Giggs last night to set up Rooney. What a dink.

Barton is a great player, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would play him for England. Teams will just target him and wind him up (although premiership teams already do this of course) and there is always the risk he will just lose it and do something stupid.

What's up with Schalke though? Saw the highlights of the Inter game and they were playing really fluid, incisive attacking football. How are they doing so badly in the Bundesliga given how they are capable of playing? Only thing I can think of is being a Harry Redknapp/Rafa Benitez type team, inconsistent in a longer format such as a league but a great cup team.

Barton is a great player, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would play him for England. Teams will just target him and wind him up (although premiership teams already do this of course) and there is always the risk he will just lose it and do something stupid.

What's up with Schalke though? Saw the highlights of the Inter game and they were playing really fluid, incisive attacking football. How are they doing so badly in the Bundesliga given how they are capable of playing? Only thing I can think of is being a Harry Redknapp/Rafa Benitez type team, inconsistent in a longer format such as a league but a great cup team.

Felix Magath was their boss until recently. He's a disciplinarian nutter who wanted total control over all things at the club. No one liked him. Now that he's gone the players are happier and are playing better as a result.

lol@Joey Barton being called a great player.

He is only comparitively good because Dingland are so short of quality in his position. He is a good player who would be nowehere near the squad of a top international team.

Plus, he is the type of despicable cunt who has exhausted all of his second chances and should not be revered by anyone. Born to play for Rangers imo.

Well yeah, he's a very good playercompared to other English central midfielders. That was the comparison. He's still very good when compared to the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes etc who are all great players at their level regardless of England's failures on the international stage.

He is only comparable nowadays with the Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes of today. Even then, he is still in fourth position of four if I had to select one for my team. All three of those players in their heyday piss all over Barton at his peak.

I think all the Barton hubris sort of clouds the fact that he has found his level; a good Premiership midfielder.

I don't know what this means unless he played there on Tuesday night and you think I'm basing my opinion on him on that game?

He played there in place of Lennon on Tues. He's a good squad player but he doesn't seem to be able to fit into box to box or defensive mid. He's an old school central midfielder who doesn't fit our style of play. He'll more than likely be punted in summer along with Bentley, Hutton, Pav and Crouch.

You think Crouch will be away? How come?

Jenas is suited to a Stoke, Birmingham or West Brom type club. Totally average.

He's not consitant across the board for us and i know that 'Arry prefers Defoe when he's in form. Keane's a gonner too.

I guess with Crouch it depends if both Pav and Keane go quickly in the summer. If they're both still kicking around later on in the transfer window i'm sure he'll lose Crouch and try and offload Keane on the cheap. Pav is like the middle point between Crouch and Defoe, he's decent in the air and has a good eye for goal but he's a confidence player. Keane is definitely surplus to requirements.

I'm sure 'Arry will bring in a big lump of a striker (Llorente or Lukaku would be great) and ditch Crouch and then offload the other two in favour of a younger English striker like Wickham. We've got two good prospects in the youth squad, Harry Kane and Kudus Oyenuga, who could perhaps make the step-up as support and Jon Obika is anothe roption in the reserves.

A lot also depends on whether we're in Euro or Champs Cup.

He is only comparable nowadays with the Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes of today. Even then, he is still in fourth position of four if I had to select one for my team. All three of those players in their heyday piss all over Barton at his peak.

I think all the Barton hubris sort of clouds the fact that he has found his level; a good Premiership midfielder.

Oh I agree. I'd probably still take a 36 year old Scholes over Barton because he's still supreme. Lampard can still do a job too on occasion, but Gerrard is shithouse these days. Obviously, in their prime, all three reign over Barton by a distance.

I always thought Danny Murphy has been severely overlooked over the years too. For me, the best English passer of the ball whose name isn't Paul Scholes. Even now, I'd take him over Self-defence Stevie, and possibly even Lampard.