aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Bale is out injured. So that means Wales are injured. We should dick them good. I hope we play a winger on the left wing, and not a central midfielder. That might be asking alot though.

Jack Wilshere will set up all the goals, score a goal himself by setting himself up, and clear a would-be goal off his own line, because he is the savior of English football. Let's pile all the pressure and expectation on him now to ensure he turns out to make Messi look like Bradley Wright Phillips. Save us, Jack. You can do it. If you don't, then everyone will hate you.

Anyone else notice that every time Scotland are playing a friendly half the squad pull out with injuries? Is there really any point to international friendlies? I don't even bother watching them these days.

Discuss.

It's not just friendlies (the Georgia catastrophy that cost us the world cup campaign a few years ago being a particularly annoying example). The huns pull out of the squad before every game. Celtic players are almost as bad.

If Darren Fletcher can play for Man Utd and Scotland then the fucking old firm can consider an international call up to be worth their precious time as well.

Same with the cunts like Stephen Fletcher who throw their toys out of the pram when they get called up and not played. It's a squad you're called into you fucking twats. If you can't hold down a starting spot in every game for a bottom 3 premiership side why should you be guaranteed a start for your country?

Players just dont seem to have the same motivation to play for Scotland that they once did. It used to be an honour to wear the dark blue, now it seems it's just sonething they do if they dont have a big game coming up at the weekend.

It's the one thing I actualy used to give Barry Ferguson credit for, when all the other Rangers players would pull out with seemingly imaginary injuries, he rarely did, he seemed like he actually had some passion for the national team.

Anyone else notice that every time Scotland are playing a friendly half the squad pull out with injuries? Is there really any point to international friendlies? I don't even bother watching them these days.

Discuss.

There is very little point from a fans point of view other than the tartan army ba'heids who will use any excuse to travel somewhere and get drunk in a kilt.

Of course they are useful for the coaching staff to plan how to set up and who to play in the competitive games. At least this is a 'glamour' friendly but on the whole international friendlies should be played behind closed doors. They are so pointless I don't even care if England win or lose in theirs.

I don't even know who Engerlurrrnd are playing in their friendly. But the one on Saturday is real. It's the World Cup Final, or Euo qualifier. Can't remember which. If we win, we are the best in the world though, and if we lose then we were robbed by the referee, Blatter is a cunt, technology now!

So, business as usual then.

It's the one thing I actualy used to give Barry Ferguson credit for, when all the other Rangers players would pull out with seemingly imaginary injuries, he rarely did, he seemed like he actually had some passion for the national team.

Totally wrong. Barry Ferguson hasn't even played 50 caps for Scotland! He'd pull out of friendly after friendly, especially if it was midweek and Rankers had a game at the weekend.

I'm starting to really gear up for the trip to Emirates now. One more day of work :up:

Whilst I'm here have a go of this: Football365 | Fun | Missing Men. I managed to get them all apart from the right back :down:

Whilst I'm here have a go of this: Football365 | Fun | Missing Men. I managed to get them all apart from the right back :down:

Exactly the same result for me and I actually watched the highlights of that game at lunch time. Took my time getting the midfield because three had the same amount of letters. Now, that was a decent pairing in the centre midfield :up:

Maguire's been okay, on the whole, this season - but "top" player? He's not even a top SPL player.

I see this kid moving to a club like Notts County, and failing completely, because they won't give him the year or two he'll need to settle and adapt to a higher level of football.

I really do believe Chris Maguire owes Aberdeen a fucking lot. In my estimation (and I've made no secret of this), he has been an abomination of a footballer until he picked his game up a little this season, and still, ultimately, has an absolute shitload to prove.

Can't allow this to go past unnoticed.

Chris Maguire has been AFC's top player this season, and it's not even close. I know you dislike him, but don't let prejudice colour the facts; he might have been a bawbag over the years (and I'm sure he still is today), but he has developed into a very good attacker.

Also, the idea of joining Notts County and needing a couple of years to 'settle and adapt to a higher level of football' is laughable. It beggars belief.

Can't allow this to go past unnoticed.

Chris Maguire has been AFC's top player this season, and it's not even close. I know you dislike him, but don't let prejudice colour the facts; he might have been a bawbag over the years (and I'm sure he still is today), but he has developed into a very good attacker.

Also, the idea of joining Notts County and needing a couple of years to 'settle and adapt to a higher level of football' is laughable. It beggars belief.

As a more unbiased view I don't think he owes Aberdeen anything. Football is a business, players are only in it a short while and he has to do what he thinks is best for them in that time. Having said that I think Idolwild has undersold Maguire a bit but not really that much.

He should be spending at least another year at Aberdeen to continue to grow as a player because right now, I don't think he would cope at a mid/low level championship team.

Maguire has been great by SPL standards recently and on current form I think he'd do well in the Championship. That's why he is in the Scotland squad (because of my first point, not because I think he'd do well in the Championship - I have almost no say in who gets picked for Scotland).

He doesn't owe the club anything and it couldn't be claimed the supporters have given him their full backing over the years. The thing that grates me is his agent's bullshit about him being at the club ten years and looking for a new challenge. Surely the initial challenge was to get in the Dons first team every game which he's only done in the past 8 months.

He's a prick but like a battered wife I just want him to stay......I LOVE YE CHRIS MAGUIRE! WHY CAN YE NO LOVE ME TOO?

Guest idol_wild

In my view, the SPL is a terrible level of football in comparative terms, and as an English football enthusiast, I genuinely feel that the majority of teams in the SPL are of the equivalent of lower level League One clubs, if not the better League Two sides.

I recall Lee Miller being frequently praised on these boards during his time at Aberdeen, and he's gone to the Championship, completely flopped, then dropped down yet another level and has completely failed so far. Yet he looked pretty capable in the SPL. Chris Clark, Michael Hart and Barry Nicholson are three other examples of players who failed at Championship level, and Clark is even struggling at League One level for Plymouth now. Nicholson has shown glimpses of form when he's remained fit, but by and large, he's failed to make the cut.

Then you could look at the opposite - players failing to play regularly for clubs like Swindon, Plymouth and Rochdale (League Two at the time!), and they go to Aberdeen and become regular starters.

I'm just an arsehole with an opinion, but I feel Maguire still has at least three years of SPL to play before going to the Championship or League One. I think he'd totally flop at Championship level; it's an extremely tough league with a lot of big clubs and very good players. There is just example upon example of players making the move from the SPL to the Championship or lower, and they hardly ever cut it. I don't see Maguire bucking that trend at all.