aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild

Does anyone else think Aston Villa are serious relegation candidates now?

I've always viewed Gerard Houllier as a substandard manager, and I feel he's fighting a losing battle at Villa. They have a thin squad, largely full of nearly-men or waif-like youngsters. There'a terrible balance there, and O'Neill got out at the right time.

Their performances under Houllier have been horrendous, yet he still maintains that strange coy smirk after every game. I know Villa aren't one of the 4/5 top sides in England so most people probably won't have much to say about them on here, but still.

Houllier, you're going down, mate.

Does anyone else think Aston Villa are serious relegation candidates now?

I've always viewed Gerard Houllier as a substandard manager, and I feel he's fighting a losing battle at Villa. They have a thin squad, largely full of nearly-men or waif-like youngsters. There'a terrible balance there, and O'Neill got out at the right time.

Their performances under Houllier have been horrendous, yet he still maintains that strange coy smirk after every game. I know Villa aren't one of the 4/5 top sides in England so most people probably won't have much to say about them on here, but still.

Houllier, you're going down, mate.

My flatmate is a Villa fan and he was speaking about this last night after we watched the game against Liverpool. At the moment they're suffering a lot of injuries to the first team and they are like you say, a thin squad.

He keeps saying that Ireland just hasn't been the player he was at Man City meaning that the youngsters are having to step up and end up performing better than him. They really need a strong guy in the midfield to lead the line, but they could barely string a pass together last night. Saying that they had 60% possession last night.

I think there needs to be some changes in the transfer window, but will that be too late? 2 wins would take them up to mid table, so it's not as bad as it looks at the moment.

Guest idol_wild
My flatmate is a Villa fan and he was speaking about this last night after we watched the game against Liverpool. At the moment they're suffering a lot of injuries to the first team and they are like you say, a thin squad.

He keeps saying that Ireland just hasn't been the player he was at Man City meaning that the youngsters are having to step up and end up performing better than him. They really need a strong guy in the midfield to lead the line, but they could barely string a pass together last night. Saying that they had 60% possession last night.

I think there needs to be some changes in the transfer window, but will that be too late? 2 wins would take them up to mid table, so it's not as bad as it looks at the moment.

All good points. Houllier has never exactly been adroit in the transfer market, in my opinion, though, and I'm really unsure where Villa are going to find two wins from. They are truly horrific just now.

Have to agree about Stephen Ireland, too. I think his good season at Man City was just an example of a player reaching his peak in the right team under the right manager in the right circumstances. We've undoubtedly seen the best from Stephen Ireland, and I fully expect him to be playing in the Championship in a couple of seasons.

Robert Pires. LOL.

They'll be fine when Big Emile comes back from injury.

On a less jovial note - I think that Stillian Petrov's absence has been the biggest problem for them, he's been a consistent bright spot for them for a few years and they miss his industry in midfield more than anything else. Stephen Ireland looked completely lost for most of the game last night, they might as well have been down to 10 men. That dun't help. At least Downing played well again, he's having a mighty fine season - shame there's no one to get on the end of his crosses.

Even with their injuries, you look at how the kids performed against United, and in theory they should be okay. Bannan and Hogg look excellent, but obviously can be burned out by playing every week, though I think Albrighton is a different animal and looks capable on a consistent basis despite his tender age. I think Ireland is under alot of pressure to be the player who replaces Milner, but I don't think he can do it alone, and it'll take time to forge a relationship with the midfielders in the squad. I personally think Ireland's best performances came when he was alongside Elano, and they were just excellent together. If he can get that sort of relationship with Petrov or one of the youngsters, then I think he'll be back to the level expect of him.

Despite their injuries, I think they lack a consistent goalscorer. They seem to have excellent delivery, and have 3 strikers who can hold the ball up for a fortnight, but there's no one who can just potter about and wait for a tap in. There's alot of rumour of Michael Owen going to Villa, and if he could stay fit, then I think he'd be the right sort of signing, but he simply can't, so it'd be pointless. The other weak link is Dunne. He is awful, and has always been awful. The rest of the back four are very solid, Collins especially, who is prone to a pulled muscle or two unfortunately. Dunne is bad though. His marking and positioning is all wrong, and alot of Villas goals seem to be his fault at the moment. Get rid.

Guest Gladstone

Phil mentioned Pires.

Watched a couple of Villa games recently, and Pires looks so fucking slow it's unbelievable. In his prime he looked like a stiff-arse (even though he wasn't), now he looks like he can barely move his legs now!

I reckon even I could take him in a flat 50 yard sprint. In fact, I reckon I'd be finished before he got his stiff-arse going!

Pires was suited to being planted in the middle of the pitch for Villareal. He just sort of did a Berbatov and didn't run much, just booted the ball around rather accurately, and put a few in the net. He'll be expected to be between the boxes more in the BEST LEAGUE IN THE WORLD, so he's gonna get knackered.

He should have eaten nothing but Quorn, like Ryan Giggs. That's how you take care of yourself.

Guest idol_wild
Phil mentioned Pires.

Watched a couple of Villa games recently, and Pires looks so fucking slow it's unbelievable. In his prime he looked like a stiff-arse (even though he wasn't), now he looks like he can barely move his legs now!

I reckon even I could take him in a flat 50 yard sprint. In fact, I reckon I'd be finished before he got his stiff-arse going!

Totally. I think the reason I despise this transfer so much is due to the smug little smirk Houllier produces when he talks about the signing of Pires, as if he thinks it's a sage and wise piece of business because "we need someone with composure in the middle of the park to balance all the young and carefree players out there"

Umm, any midfielder in the English top flight needs to be pretty fucking mobile these days. I don't think composure is quite enough to see Pires through this season, and aside from that, I'm failing to see just what he offers in actual direct footballing terms. He has a decent range of passing if he is given plenty of time on the ball, but he's unlikely to get that time on the ball regularly enough in EPL games to merit this function.

Houllier is mince.

EDIT: Houllier is Quorn mince.

This might have been mentioned earlier, but what the fudge is up with this?

<picture of Maxi being a softy>

Players wearing scarves on the pitch? Fucking wendy.

It's been happening for a while. First time I saw it was the Brazillians in the Confederations Cup Summer '09. Dani Alves had on a massive turtle-neck like thing. It's stupid. I can understand gloves, but your neck will be fine after a few minutes of running. So, it would be understandable if Berbatov wore one.

This might have been mentioned earlier, but what the fudge is up with this?

155104_466939940381_597970381_5864213_5335640_n.jpg

Players wearing scarves on the pitch? Fucking wendy.

They are called 'snoods'. I played a 2 hour game on Sunday in shorts and t-shirt in minus temperatures. Take that you Premiership snood wearing fucks.

There's a lot of rage towards these snoods. By the pundits as well. It's like it's news that footballers are jessies.

1242226051_soccer_fight.gif

This just reminded me of the Lehman/Drogba pushing and sniper incident, that was a quality bit of handbags.

Just heard a rumour that the odds on Craig Brown being the next Dons manager have just been cut. Apparently he is working without a contract at Motherwell so wouldn't cost anything.

I fucking love football rumours!