aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Yes you would think Ashley has got a big name lined up. Bloody hell even the Newcastle fans weren't calling for his head! It's a disgusting way of treating someone who guided them through some of their darkest days. But there you go that's football I suppose, doesn't make it right. Hughton will get another Prem or Championship job when one becomes available.

It obviously is not based on results, someone somewhere within has taken a dislike to Hughton and therefore anything that he has done/would continue to do would not have been enough to keep him in the job.

It's perhaps to do with attracting a higher quality of player in January? Although if it is Pardew that is to get the job it truly is baffling.

Guest idol_wild

Re: Newcastle.

WTF?

I was beginning to form an affiliation with that club, as I respected Hughton and the way he has moulded his players and way of playing, and I actually looked out for their results on a weekly basis.

Unless Martin O'Neill gets the job, I would really like Newcastle to fail at everything they do.

I've had a few hours to appraise the Chris Hughton decision and it honestly appals me. I have never been so infuriated by a managerial change. Sir Bobby Robson has long been the idol I've looked up to the most but I didn't even feel this angry when he was pushed out the door. This is a terrible, terrible decision that defies all logic. I simply cannot wrap my head around why they would do something like this.

No footballing man has changed my opinion quite like Chris Hughton. If you find my posts from last year (around about when he was appointment) you'll find dissatisfaction and criticism. I felt like he wasn't the man to take us out of the Championship, and I found some of his tactical decisions baffling. He learned game-by-game though, and things started to click spectacularly when he was given the chance in January to bring in some of his own players and get the team playing the way he saw fit. I've never seen such a dramatic improvement from a manager of my team. He was a very progressive manager: a man who saw that certain things weren't working and came up with solutions to change them. He learned from every mistake he made and I had a lot of faith in him to keep us up. Honestly, I don't know what else we could've expected from Chris. He did an absolutely fantastic job to take us back into the Premiership in style, he was the most adaptable manager we've had in my lifetime, and we've had an excellent start to the decision. We're 11th with a 5-1 derby win over Sunderland, a 6-0 over Villa, and a 1-0 over Arsenal. That's fantastic for any recently promoted side.

Mr. Hughton was quickly becoming a personal hero of mine. It wasn't just his continually improving managerial skills, but his character and all-round demeanour. I genuinely cannot name a classier manager. Graceful in victory and defeat, never speaking out of turn, always taking the pressure away from the team, never openly criticising players in the media, keep his cards close to his chest at all times, very polite, calm, and well-spoken. Just an all-round decent bloke in a profession full of bastards. That's what makes this decision even more infuriating.

I don't know how we're going to avoid relegation if we employ a joker like Alan Pardew. If that's who Ashley thinks is the man to take us forward then it only heightens my suspicion that the fat twat has very little interest in seeing the team do well. It's almost like he wants us to fail. Undermining Keegan, burning bridges with Shearer, employing Kinnear, saying "we're for sale" and then refusing to negotiate with anyone, and now this. Man, if I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say he was trying to destroy us.

This is sickening. Absolutely sickening. Ashley and his goons are ruining this football club. I know plenty of Newcastle fans and not one of them would've wanted Hughton fired. It's clear to anyone with a functioning brain that he'd done a brilliant job and was taking the team forward with class and dignity. He was an excellent manager for Newcastle United, a great ambassador, and a credit to the club. I hope that Mr. Hughton goes on to enjoy a very successful managerial career elsewhere: his approach is a true breath of fresh air and he deserves the chance to work without the interference of an idiot like Mike Ashley.

• Upvote 1

If Chris Hughton was sacked because he wasn't getting results, or had lost the dressing room, then the players might understand why the board felt the need to replace him.

As it is, Jol (assuming he's the new manager in waiting) will inherit a bunch of players who probably vehemently disagree with Hughton's sacking, and will resent the fact that Jol is even there. Hughton seemed to be popular with the players, and was by any reasonable measure, doing a sterling job.

Jol is a good bloke, and a good manager, but I think there's a real possibility that he might have lost the dressing room before he even starts, through no fault of his own!

Totally fucked up situation.