aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

But why shouldn't football be spread around the world? It is the World Cup after all. The bid team just can't accept that non-established footballing nations are being given the chance to shine. I read an article interviewing the head of the bidding team or something and he just sounded bitter as fuck. Go sook a lemon.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it is quite good it is going to new countries otherwise the process just becomes a round robin of who can host the tournament. Although Russia and Qatar are unusual choices (and possibly fueled by other motives i.e. cash), the opportunity for the likes of South Africa getting it was good for the tournament. Personally though, I still think England had a very strong case for the tournament. It hasn't been held there for a long time and in terms of putting on an event and a spectacle it was in a strong position. I was just hoping for a jolly though so I would say that.

I think there is a level of arrogance surrounding English football that just rubs people up the wrong way and that really doesn't help the bid either. The EPL is a fantastic league but it is people from within the set up and media who like to let everyone know that it is "the best league in the world". I'm sure there are quite a few people enjoying England not getting the 2018 WC.

I think there is a level of arrogance surrounding English football that just rubs people up the wrong way and that really doesn't help the bid either. The EPL is a fantastic league but it is people from within the set up and media who like to let everyone know that it is "the best league in the world". I'm sure there are quite a few people enjoying England not getting the 2018 WC.

The 'best league in the world' tag is quite heavily blown out of proportion though. However, I've probably heard more foreign players say it than English. From what I gather, that's where it stemmed from. Interviews with foreign players speak about being kids and dreaming of playing in the Premier League. But maybe Luis Suarez said the same about dreaming of playing in the Eriedivisie when he was kicking a burst flyaway football down the streets of Uruguay.

I'm all for football being spread around but I honestly believe it should have been granted to the country most capable of hosting it, where it would be a profitable success. Therefore, the country with the strongest campaign and the best facilities should have won it, otherwise it makes the strength of your bid, and the amount you're willing to inject into your existing facilities completely pointless. Whilst the Russia bid was poor, I'm sure it'll be a good event anyway, as long as they don't get stabby towards the non-honkies. However, I can't see Qatar 2022 really working.

But as I said. I'm not bothered about England getting it. I really wanted Holland to get it. It would have been fun, just as Ruud Gullit said, it was the 'fun' bid. Those guys know how to have a good time. There'd be hookers and blackjack.

What gets me is that if FIFA are going to hold the World Cup in a new country - and I cannot see a problem with that, anyone who can hold the tournament should get a crack of the whip - then why on earth make countries who have previously held the tournament go to all that expense and effort to apply? It's fact that England put in the best bid by a mile but I agree that the English are so arrogant in general it most certainly went against them. It's a farce the whole system - you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

If some good is to come out of it, it means that FIFA and its operations will be scrutinized more and you can bet your bottom dollar that a lot more dirt is to be dug up. Qatar is a ridiculous choice of country but look at the options. Why on earth were South Korea/Japan going for it just 8 years after last hosting one? The Aussies put in a half baked application but sounds like Qatar was a done deal. Read somewhere that Blatter promised Qatar the tournament because someone from the country helped fund his re-election.

Apparently Blatter was going round urging people not to vote for England. It's almost like he wanted England to look an embarrassment which it has done. I'm sure there's bribery involved with Russia getting the gig. But I think it could be a brilliant place to have it although their record on racism is none too good.

Fuck FIFA, the Spanish and Portuguese are equally as pissed off. It's not Russia and Qatar getting the tournament that's rattling people but the way the whole voting system works. Maybe some of the top sides should break away and form a new organization like in the Darts!!! De-value the world cup!

But at the end of the day the simple reason England didn't get the World Cup is because the rest of the world hate the fucking English!

Yeah people over here are pretty pissed off too, especially on the back of the two failed Madrid Olympic bids.

There's obviously major problems within FIFA and with this voting process but the way the English team is now shouting about them is making them look like sore losers. They might have been best staying quiet for at least a couple of days and then airing their complaints in a more ordered manner.

I have nothing against the idea of bringing the tournament to new areas of the world, but that should always be balanced against maintaining the integrity and quality of the tournament.

Guest idol_wild

But at the end of the day the simple reason England didn't get the World Cup is because the rest of the world hate the fucking English!

I genuinely believe this is a fact. Luckily, I don't, and most of my finest friends are English, but fucking hell, people really tend to hate the English.

Guest idol_wild
They're going absolutely nuts about Fifa on football focus. talk about sour grapes. I find the whole thing quite funny

Same on Five Live and talkSPORT. Now all of these football "personalities" are regaling us with their own stories about why they have always distrusted FIFA. Bobby Gould. Tit.

Get over it, England. You'll get the World Cup eventually.

Guest idol_wild

Roy Keane's comments were especially humorous and to the point.

"What's the big deal? Get over it; nobody died"

"Travelling halfway across the world to play nonsense little friendlies to secure mythical votes"

"Ha, you only got two votes and one of them was your own! *laugh* Just goes to show...gotta be careful who you're dealing with"

"Russia's never had the World Cup; what's the problem with letting them have a bash at it?"

I fucking love Roy Keane.

After another defeat for Ipswich, their fifth on the spin, Keane is a dead man walking despite getting Ipswich to the semi final of the Carling Cup.

I saw the football focus debate and they were all huffing and puffing and moaning and over using the word 'disappointed'. Also heard Gould and Durham on Talksport still going on about it. Jesus get over it man! Football is not coming 'home'. And not for quite some time!

I see the FA cancelled a summer friendly in Thailand as a mark of being bitter and twised about not getting the Thai chap vote!

Hopefully the FA will have learned you need wealth, some dodgy laws, a hushed up media or a shit hot mafia in order to stage the world cup. Not schmoozing with various delegates and getting your PM and royalty involved.

I'd still like England to break from FIFA and form a new world footballing body. Just like the split in darts in the 90's. Start organizing their own tournaments. Would be fun if other countries were up for it. Reckon Spain and Portugal would be up for it. Let's enjoy the world cup in Brazil first though.

Bah was going to trek to Wales tomorrow to watch Newport County v Cambridge United but the match was predictably was called off.

That debate on Football Focus really resonated with me. Great to hear the truth and honesty from everyone involved and getting to the bottom of a controversial issue. I mean, footballers who wear snoods...what the fuck is that all about.

I blame Rolando Bianchi...

NEWS_1219755876_Zbianchi.jpg

Roy Keane's comments were especially humorous and to the point.

"What's the big deal? Get over it; nobody died"

"Travelling halfway across the world to play nonsense little friendlies to secure mythical votes"

"Ha, you only got two votes and one of them was your own! *laugh* Just goes to show...gotta be careful who you're dealing with"

"Russia's never had the World Cup; what's the problem with letting them have a bash at it?"

I fucking love Roy Keane.

Roy Keane is the man. I was reading recently about when he was sacked from Sunderland. Dwight Yorke sent Roy Keane a text saying "Thank you for everything and best of luck for the future". Roy Keane texted back to him "Go fuck yourself". Immense.

Roy Keane is the man. I was reading recently about when he was sacked from Sunderland. Dwight Yorke sent Roy Keane a text saying "Thank you for everything and best of luck for the future". Roy Keane texted back to him "Go fuck yourself". Immense.

If that's true then that is fucking amazing.

So who's getting the Aberdeen job? I saw Eoin Jess putting his name in the hat which would probably be a complete disaster. It's imperative that the next Aberdeen manager is somebody with no emotional ties to the club: somebody who can just put his head down and get on with the job without having to deal with the "former player" stigma. Willie Miller & co. have been the downfall of Aberdeen over the years and the club would do well to cut-out all bullshit nostalgic appointments. It never works. Just look at Newcastle.