aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

BBC Sport - Football - Blackpool fined 25,000 by Premier League

This is a disgrace in my opinion. If they are in the 25 man squad they are forced to declare then the club/manager should be able to field whatever team he/they wants. The FA should not be able to just stick there oar in and fine them for who they pick you cacn guarentee if one of the big 4 made a lot of changes (granted there backups are probably a lot better) would not get fined.

People who follow the SPL - is Merouane Zemmama from Hibs any good? I'm hearing that 'boro have put in a loan bid for him today.

I was at one of his first games for Hibs and he was a cut above. So good that even though he only played an hour, the press voted him MOTM. No questioning it, other than "how do you spell that?"

Strikes me as the kind of player who is either running everything or doing nothing, though.

BBC Sport - Football - Blackpool fined 25,000 by Premier League

This is a disgrace in my opinion. If they are in the 25 man squad they are forced to declare then the club/manager should be able to field whatever team he/they wants. The FA should not be able to just stick there oar in and fine them for who they pick you cacn guarentee if one of the big 4 made a lot of changes (granted there backups are probably a lot better) would not get fined.

I couldn't agree more. The PL are being like the pesky kids on Scooby Doo meddling with affairs. The manager has a squad and he should be able to pick who he chooses. Holloway put out weakened sides in both cup competitions as well. Utter madness.

heard a clip of Holloway ranting about it at a press conference during the news. It was hilarious. He totally lost the plot when questioned about a possible fine! He was also saying 'Blackpool will never get fined for this'. Gotta love Holloway, wish some his passion and character could be injected into Cambridge manager Martin Ling! Even one percent would do!

Sure a job at Talksport will await Gray. Dunno I get the feeling they wanted an excuse to get rid of him, not a popular man at Sky Sports reading between the lines.

Can't see it. Pretty sure Talksport is owned and run by Sky. They often refer to Sky News as their "sister station" so i presume it's owned by the same group.

The Blackpool fine is fucking outrageous. Teams have been rotating their squads and making wholesale changes to line-ups for years. Why on earth does the Premier League feel that they now have a duty to ensure only top teams can do this and that clubs fighting relegation are not. Awful decision.

Can't see it. Pretty sure Talksport is owned and run by Sky. They often refer to Sky News as their "sister station" so i presume it's owned by the same group.

No, Talksport is owned by UTV Radio which is nothing to do with Sky. They buy a news service Sky News provides to numerous commercial radio stations hence it being referred to as Sky News.

I reckon both Gray and Keys will get a show on Talksport, only place you can really see them going, can't see the BBC taking them on. ESPN maybe? But Talksport like a few waifs and strays amongst their ranks!

The Blackpool fine is fucking outrageous. Teams have been rotating their squads and making wholesale changes to line-ups for years. Why on earth does the Premier League feel that they now have a duty to ensure only top teams can do this and that clubs fighting relegation are not. Awful decision.

It really is time this ridiculous rule which the PL force as and when they see fit is dropped. I'm really angry about it because the top clubs would never be fined for fielding a weakened side. Was totally unjustified when it happened to Wolves as well last season.

The other stupid rule that's grinding my gears is shirts being taken off after celebrating a goal being a yellow card offence. Sure if there is an offence message on the t shirt underneath (though in fairness quite hard for officials to spot) which is why I believe it was brought in. I mean it was ridiculous a West Brom player getting sent off for it recently (think it was a West Brom player correct me if I'm wrong there).

They'll (Gray and Keys) probably end up on one of the Premier League coverage shows in another country. The States, or the rich middle east, I reckon. You could stumble across them if you're watching a fuzzy, dodgy stream of a Premier League game not televised over here.

This is more likely I reckon. Talksport is so poor they have to charge their callers a premium rate number, can't see them coughing up big bucks for Gray.

My thoughts on the Blackpool fine from November...

I agree completely. They have to name 25 man squads now under PL rules, and as a result this ridiculous concept that the FA can decide who a manager's strongest team for a particular game is has to stop.

Whilst it's fairly obvious he's played a weakened side, what's to say Holloway hasn't been preparing for weeks for that particular game in the knowledge he'd play those eleven players and so getting them up-to-speed on a particular tactic or manner of play?

The opinion on strength of team selection should rest with the manager of that club, not the FA.

It's fucking outrageous and they will surely have to change the rules for next season. A 25 man squad should be used exactly as that, otherwise what's the point in naming one?

So Chelsea have had a bid rejected for Torres - didn't really see that coming tbh, does anyone know when Torres' contract is up?

And Danny Cadamarteri has been released. jon/Alkaline - what happened there? I know he's not really been playing, but I thought he had a fairly decent first season with United?

And Danny Cadamarteri has been released. jon/Alkaline - what happened there? I know he's not really been playing, but I thought he had a fairly decent first season with United?

The Arabs will be better placed to say, but he scored 4 goals in his first 7(?) games, but hasn't scored since.

Decent start, but 4 goals does not a decent season make.

Didn't Brooking say back in Novemeber that he didn't agree with the Premier League "strongest team" ruling? The FA seem to be getting slated for it, but it's not an FA ruling. It's the Premier League. Surely if the FA disagree with it, as the governing body, they could come down on the Premier League and tell them to pack it in? It won't happen though. Little teams will keep getting penalised, where as United will continue to be allowed to field Darron Gibson and John O'Shea and get away with it.

The PL rule is ridiculous, especially now with the 25 man squad being named at the start of the season. What's the point?

Plus, wasn't the game in question a close affair? As I recall it was 3-2 to Aston Villa. If they had drawn or won, surely they should have been fined as well? But that would never happen.

The PL rule is ridiculous, especially now with the 25 man squad being named at the start of the season. What's the point?

Plus, wasn't the game in question a close affair? As I recall it was 3-2 to Aston Villa. If they had drawn or won, surely they should have been fined as well? But that would never happen.

Winning goal was in the last minute as well! So it was hardly an uneven match.

Back to weakened squads issue, the FA should show at least be challenging this ridiculous PL ruling about fielding weakened sides. But maybe the FA have no clout over the PL or even care about the issue. What really pisses me off it's the so called lesser teams such as Blackpool and Wolves who are getting penalized for it. And in any case why should the PL intervene and decide what a weakened squad is?

Hopefully the stupidness of the whole thing will come to light and something be done about it.