aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild
looks like Liverpool have bought Carroll for thirty-five million. There are no words for what a ridiculous move that is. My desire to see them fail miserably increases daily.

Completely and utterly agree, with both sentiments.

I think this is absolute evidence, if anyone needed it, that football is just completely fucked up.

I mean, I rate Andy Carroll. I think he's a decent EPL striker. But he is not even worth 10 million just now, in my opinion.

Fuck football. Fuck it in it's stupid little asshole.

Jason Lowe is not coming to Pittodrie on loan.....staying at Blackburn.

Surprised no -one stepped in with "Lowe, No Go"

We've release Combe and Invicibile and signed a couple of youngsters - Big Mixu has been busy.

Now, if only he could get the team to hold onto a lead - 10 points out of 12 squandered on late goals :swearing:

Most expensive transfers of all time, this will give some more perspective of the lunacy. He will get moved down one spot by Torres but still!

Cristiano Ronaldo - Manchester United - Real Madrid - 80 million - 2009

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Inter Milan - Barcelona - 56.5 million - 2009

Kaka - AC Milan - Real Madrid - 56 million - 2009

Zinedine Zidane - Juventus - Real Madrid - 45 million - 2001

Luis Figo - Barcelona - Real Madrid - 37 million - 2000

Hernan Crespo - Parma - Lazio - 35.5 million - 2000

ANDY CARROLL

David Villa - Valencia - Barcelona - 34 million - 2010

Gianluigi Buffon - Parma - Juventus - 32.6 million - 2001

Robinho - Real Madrid - Manchester City - 32.5 million - 2008

As well as the price being ludicrous I've said it before and I'll say it again. He doesn't suit their style of play! Without a decent winger or crosser of the ball the only way I can think they will play him is hoof it long and hope he flicks it on for Suarez (assuming he signs!) or holds it up for Gerrard (when he's not injured/suspended!).

I've only really seen Suarez at world cup so can't remember but is he pacey? Liverpools entire biggest threat were through balls or balls over the top for Torres to chase. Without a pacey striker (Carroll isn't one!) the only way I can see them playing is the good old Sam Allardyce route one method. Can't imagine Liverpool fans enjoying that too much!

I would have thought their best bet would be to get a more experienced striker on loan until the end of the season (I'm sure a benchwarmer at a top euro team would happily join!) rather than paying over the odds for half decent strikers. Maybe in the summer go after someone like Zarate/Rossi etc. Not sure Sunderland would sell in this window but Asamoah Gyan is probably the premiership player I'd go for as a direct replacement for Torres instead of Carroll if they're desperate to buy now. Strong and pacey like Torres, and not too bad a finisher.

Completely and utterly agree, with both sentiments.

I think this is absolute evidence, if anyone needed it, that football is just completely fucked up.

I mean, I rate Andy Carroll. I think he's a decent EPL striker. But he is not even worth 10 million just now, in my opinion.

Fuck football. Fuck it in it's stupid little asshole.

Criteria for English clubs selling / buying players.

- Is English? Check.

- Plays in the Premiership? Check.

- Has been talked up as a future England star? Check.

= Value of player x 3. It's all about the player's hype and the myth that the best players in the world play in the Premiership. If he was Italian / Spanish and moving between clubs in Italy / Spain he wouldn't be worth half that.

Guest idol_wild
Criteria for English clubs selling / buying players.

- Is English? Check.

- Plays in the Premiership? Check.

- Has been talked up as a future England star? Check.

= Value of player x 3. It's all about the player's hype and the myth that the best players in the world play in the Premiership. If he was Italian / Spanish and moving between clubs in Italy / Spain he wouldn't be worth half that.

I'm aware of this influence, but really - 35 million! That astounds even me.

35 million for Carrol is ridiculous. Rumours have it that Newcastle have already rejected the offer. Who knows?! Some interesting stats on skysports: Carrol was outscored in the Championship last season by Peter Whittingham, Nicky Maynard, Gary Hoopers, Michael Chopra and Charlie Adam! Odds of Adam signing for Man U are 1/4 now. Who reckons he'll sign up?

I'm looking forward to finding out who Craigie's new face will be!!

With only a small slice of the natural ability Gazza had to play football. :up:

Yeah, I should have made it clear I was referring to Gazza's off field "career" rather than his footballing talent.

Absolute bonkers.

Pa Broon should be on the blower to 'Arry offering him Maguire and Ifil in a "cut price 10m double swoop".

Surprised no -one stepped in with "Lowe, No Go"

The Steven's Depressed went with "Lowe Blow for Brown" but I don't think they would have intended the pun.

Could be a decent signing for them, they need a striker.

Martins and Zigic could be formidable. Or, maybe I just want to see that as they are the tallest and shortest strikers in the world. That would be novel. I think they could drop Jerome. He's a decent player, but not really a goal scorer.

Good signing - he's as fast as fuck.

Has a thunderbolt of a shot aswell. Pity it's rarely anywhere near the goal! Pace with no end product isn't all that great. See Walcott, Lennon et al on a bad day! If he had the ability to match his pace he'd still be at inter milan.

if he's improved his finishing could be indeed be a productive partnership.