aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
I suspect his assists and goals standings by December could change your mind. Beyond those abilities he is a bog standard SPL full back.

He is not a full back.

His positioning is woeful. I know he was marking the super fast Theo Walcott on Sunday, but you'd think you'd try to give yourself a wee advantage by at least standing in an appropriate position to cover Walcott's runs rather than either standing beside the centre half leaving about 20 yards of wide open space for Walcott to run into or standing 20 yards too far forward, leaving loads of space for Walcott to run in behind if the ball gets played over your head.

And that's just his positioning. He canna tackle worth a fuck either.

We've never filled the Tosh McKinlay shaped void at left back. (and I'm not joking).

Guest Gladstone
McGhee reckons he's a better CB.

He's surely too much of a fanny to be any good at centre back. Small / slight centre backs are only any good if they read the game very well, and manage to avoid getting into aerial tussles or battles with centre forwards.

Seeing how often he drifts out of position at LB, I would have no confidence in him being any use at centre back. He's also got absolutely fuck all pace, which I forgot to mention in my earlier mini-rant about him.

I think I would actually sign Tosh McKinlay today, and play him in front of Mulgrew. I'd even put that mentalist Stephane Mahe back in at LB if I could.

At times last season the top 3 all seemed like they just couldn't be bothered and didn't really turn up and gifted points to some lower teams. Yes Chelsea lost to Wigan but they also beat them 8-0. Also 31 points would have been enough to stay up last season, the lowest in some time.

I might just be looking back overly fondly but I remember in the past caring about the relegation battle a lot more as there were always teams I would miss if they got relegated and teams really seemed to fight hard and scrape points to stay up. The last couple of years I've looked at the table and thought I'd like bottom six all to get relegated.

I agree with the last sentence. I'd always pick a couple of teams I wanted to stay up, but last season I really didn't care for any of them.

Wigan were the bitches of the league last year, but when they wanted to play, they really did play. The comeback against Arsenal was terrific, and beating Chelsea was good too despite getting smashed in the return fixture, but alot of teams fell victim to that, even good teams like Villa. Blackburn took points off the top two, and I wouldn't say that neither United or Chelsea turned up for those games. They really went for it, but it was a great defensive display, and were dangerous on the counter too. Blackburn played to their strengths and I reckon Allardyce did a reasonable job last season, because on paper, Blackburn are awful. Even Burnley had great home form, until the personified black cloud that is Brian Laws took to the healm. His speciality is losing. He's good at it, and he's sticking with it. He's not a winner like Coyle. Coyle does the shouting-and-clapping thing, and somehow that makes his team win.

He is not a full back.

His positioning is woeful. I know he was marking the super fast Theo Walcott on Sunday, but you'd think you'd try to give yourself a wee advantage by at least standing in an appropriate position to cover Walcott's runs rather than either standing beside the centre half leaving about 20 yards of wide open space for Walcott to run into or standing 20 yards too far forward, leaving loads of space for Walcott to run in behind if the ball gets played over your head.

And that's just his positioning. He canna tackle worth a fuck either.

Theo is rubbish too. He's mega quick, but he rarely changes direction when running. He's just a faster Jonas, and since no one in football appears to be as fast as Theo, he seems to be effective. Track the direction of the ball, then kick the ball. Piece of piss. I reckon I could tackle Theo Walcott. His movement is like that of a Subbuteo player. Goalwards.

Guest Gladstone
Theo is rubbish too. He's mega quick, but he rarely changes direction when running. He's just a faster Jonas, and since no one in football appears to be as fast as Theo, he seems to be effective. Track the direction of the ball, then kick the ball. Piece of piss. I reckon I could tackle Theo Walcott. His movement is like that of a Subbuteo player. Goalwards.

I would just wipe him out first tackle in traditional Scottish football manner.

"Make him know he's in a game."

The harder you kick him, the slower he runs, and he looks like a proper jessie, so he'd hate a hard tackle.

I might just be looking back overly fondly but I remember in the past caring about the relegation battle a lot more as there were always teams I would miss if they got relegated and teams really seemed to fight hard and scrape points to stay up. The last couple of years I've looked at the table and thought I'd like bottom six all to get relegated.

On that note, who would everyone else like to see relegated from the SPL? Or who would you expect to get relegated?

The obvious answer is one of the Old Firm, but that would require SPL/SFA getting some balls and following through with points deductions instead of these 'last warnings' and fines that are given to the Old Firm for all their little ditties; which are heard at every ground their unwashed fans grace.

On a more sensible note I reckon Kilmarnock and St Mirren could be in a bit of bother, as both have lost key players and replaced them with unknowns and Cowdenbeath players who are untried at SPL level. Both have new managers as well, who will have to hit the ground running.

I imagine Inverness Caley will be mixing it in the bottom 6, but we really came onto a game last season going on a 22 game winning run, with 10 wins on the trot. Keeping Foran, Hayes and Rooney is fantastic as all are a much better standard than we should have at ICT. We've also got 2 of the best goalkeepers in the SPL, in Esson and Tuffey. Cox in centre midfield will also go onto a better club than us; he was magnificent in the game v. Queens Park at the weekend, with a brilliant box-to-box midfielder performance. Our only concern is having a veeeery slow defence; Innes, Munro and Tokely will mop up any arial threat and contribute well at set pieces, but they will struggle against pacy strikers.

On that note, who would everyone else like to see relegated from the SPL? Or who would you expect to get relegated?

The obvious answer is one of the Old Firm, but that would require SPL/SFA getting some balls and following through with points deductions instead of these 'last warnings' and fines that are given to the Old Firm for all their little ditties; which are heard at every ground their unwashed fans grace.

On a more sensible note I reckon Kilmarnock and St Mirren could be in a bit of bother, as both have lost key players and replaced them with unknowns and Cowdenbeath players who are untried at SPL level. Both have new managers as well, who will have to hit the ground running.

I imagine Inverness Caley will be mixing it in the bottom 6, but we really came onto a game last season going on a 22 game winning run, with 10 wins on the trot. Keeping Foran, Hayes and Rooney is fantastic as all are a much better standard than we should have at ICT. We've also got 2 of the best goalkeepers in the SPL, in Esson and Tuffey. Cox in centre midfield will also go onto a better club than us; he was magnificent in the game v. Queens Park at the weekend, with a brilliant box-to-box midfielder performance. Our only concern is having a veeeery slow defence; Innes, Munro and Tokely will mop up any arial threat and contribute well at set pieces, but they will struggle against pacy strikers.

I've got 20 on with my mate who is Caley Thistle's coach driver that the Dons will finish above Caley in the league this season. Not that confident tbh....

BTW chaps, be sure to have a lovely chat with these nice people if you see them outside Pittodrie this season.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/189394-national-front-extremists-to-target-aberdeen-fans/

Kilmarnock are well, well overdue a relegation, the insolvent mucky barstewards.

Berwick (H) in the next round of the Prized Piece Of Silverware Until You Get Knocked Out Cup. Last time that fixture came out we buggered them 5-1, but they seem to have bought about 12 strikers this season. That'll be a 5-6 defeat in extra time, then.....

Aye, Killie look a good bet for the drop.

I wonder what odds you can get on Rangers failing to get a single point in their Champions League run.

Is it 6 games they play in the groups?

Say their opponents are Evens to win each game then that works out about 63/1.

I don't know if Evens is an accurate estimate though...

You have to go through the worst moments, to fully appreciate the best ones :up:

Also, I did feel Esson was a poor signing when he joined, but I'm delighted to be proved wrong :love:

I felt Ryan was a really solid keeper, unfortunate in his time at Pittodrie that he had great goalies in Leighton, Kjaer, Preece, etc ahead of him in the pecking order.

(Not me but my) Dad sponsored him for a few seasons, met him a few times.Nice guy.

I think you should try harder to get more digs in about him playing for Ireland.

The boy was overlooked by the entire youth set up in Scotland and played for Ireland since he was about 14 or so. One half of his family is Irish, and it's not that much of a surprise that he played for the country that put faith in him since he was a youngster. It wasn't until he was in the first team for Celtic that Scotland showed any interest in him.

Saying all that, I doubt McGeady would make much of a difference for Scotland anyway. We've already got players who can step over the ball 8 times and then not put a cross in. Fuck, I could do that with a bit of practise.

ha ha, yeah i agree it'd make more sense to get a dig in if he was turning into the scottish born to scottish parents lived in scotland all his life irish Messi. i am aware of the story of how he came to the irish setup but did also read that

Aiden was almost 12 when he was picked by the SSFA selectors in 1998 to play in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris. Scotland lost to England in the final, but McGeady was a stand-out and, in the words of one SSFA official, was earmarked as one for the future.

then as you said it seemed to be more of a technicality he didn't play after signing for celtic.

on one side it's hard to understand how him (& mccarthy for that matter) would turn down the chance to play for your country. (similar story with mccarthy.) just kinda expect some allegiance/loyalty to where you were born, raised your whole life & parentage. i'd feel an imposter to represent ireland but then on the flip side if it was berti vogts trying to convince me to join a team with the delights of pressley/wilkie then...! i suppose i'd feel less pressure representing them as i would for scotland. despite the "oh they asked me first" attitude i really think it comes down to who you wanna play for, and get a game for if you're like those english guys turning out for scotland cos they'd no chance with england. i can see the point of view that scotland may seen unlikely to qualify for another major tournament and ireland did quality for WC 2002 & a touch unlucky to miss out this year. there's plenty of greats never to have graced a major tournament. france did pretty well in the past with players brought into their country. the whole eligibility thing is a bit weird these days, for other sports / olympics too.

I expect Killie and St Mirren to be the bottom two, I'd like Hamilton to go down though. I have a high dislike of them which I think almost completely stems from going to see the dons lose 2-0 away to them being one of my worst ever football experiences. And Kilmarnock have been in the top division as long as I've been following football, they seem they like they belong there no matter how shit they are.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but our trialist centre half Zelmikas' Wiki page says:

"As a child he was a fan of the Transformers cartoon character Optimus Prime, and as a result for a short time wore the name "Prime" on his back before FIFA decreed that nicknames were not permissable (a decision since reversed). Zelmikas still prefers to be called Prime to this day, and is usually referred to in this way by the media."