aberdeen-music

Feelings while playing live??

SooperKeef

Guest Gladstone
I told you it was a cover...

Did you fuck. Lying bastard.

*checks e-mail to verify his story*

EDIT: "The last track was When the Roses Bloom Again and it is our take on a traditional folk song."

I misunderstood "our take" - didn't realise it was your take on someone else's traditional folk song. You're still a lying bastard.

Did you fuck. Lying bastard.

*checks e-mail to verify his story*

EDIT: "The last track was When the Roses Bloom Again and it is our take on a traditional folk song."

I misunderstood "our take" - didn't realise it was your take on someone else's traditional folk song. You're still a lying bastard.

I find it hard to believe you thought I was calling something we had written a 'traditional folk song'.

You must've thought I was a right dick.

Guest Gladstone
I find it hard to believe you thought I was calling something we had written a 'traditional folk song'.

You must've thought I was a right dick.

I'm intrigued by your use of the past tense.

I hate playing live.

Love recording.

Really really hate playing acoustic solo stuff live because it's kind of lonely up there without the rest of the band (I know that sounds cheesy)

I'm with Hog!

After a run of gigs I'm usually OK...but if there's a long gap between them I get nervous. I have to start the set with a simple tune or I bugger up the finger-picking.

If a gig goes badly ( as 2 on the trot did for me last year) I get really down, and refuse payment/vow to stop.

Recording, on the other hand, is sheer pleasure.

I'm not really called upon to do anything complex with my guitar when playing live, but before playing, right up until we start I always manage to convince myself I've forgotten all our songs. Weirdest thing.

Haha, I used to do that a lot too. I'd have to grab my guitar, find a quiet corner and re-teach myself all the songs before the band before us finished.

When I read the title of this thread I couldnt think of how I felt when I play... so on Saturday night when I took to the stage I monitored my feelings and... no nerves, just pure pleasure, I felt a little uneasy about my amp as its been playing up but after a song or two it went right out of my head...

G...

I'm afraid a pet hate of mine is people who just plug into my cab after I've finished soundchecking, assuming they can use it without so much as asking (not saying you do that like). And then not even bother to say thanks afterwards either.

Yeah man it's cool, you can just use a grands worth of gear without so much as needing to say thanks. Cunt.

Its made worse if they don't have a clue about "ohms"

hmmmm I will just plug my 16 ohm head into this 8 ohm cab here!......whats that burning smell??

Playing live for me was more about, a. How loud can we go and b. The piss up that we'll be having after the gig with the other bands and consequently what we can exchange with that band in terms of gigs/recordings/zines. When I first started playing in bands the gigs we did generally tended to be with bands with whom I was buying records of / writing to etc. (pre email) so it was always great to finally meet up, and the music was sort of an afterthought, but we gave it as best as bash as we could....the gigs were generally in total dives, this all added to the atmosphere....but lack of equipment, wondering how the fuck we even get to the gig and having no money and knowing theres no money in the gig anyway was always slightly stressful....

When I started playing gigs where we never even spoke to the other bands (chalk and cheese bills), constantly being told to turn down the amps, not being able to see the crowd for strobing lights and smoke, and when you do see their faces they are staring coldly at you with a "come on impress us" type look (who all shit their pants when their fucking awful friends band hit the stage), I lost all interest....tbh I can't think of anything I'd rather do less now....

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
Playing live for me was more about, a. How loud can we go and b. The piss up that we'll be having after the gig with the other bands and consequently what we can exchange with that band in terms of gigs/recordings/zines. When I first started playing in bands the gigs we did generally tended to be with bands with whom I was buying records of / writing to etc. (pre email) so it was always great to finally meet up, and the music was sort of an afterthought, but we gave it as best as bash as we could....the gigs were generally in total dives, this all added to the atmosphere....but lack of equipment, wondering how the fuck we even get to the gig and having no money and knowing theres no money in the gig anyway was always slightly stressful....

When I started playing gigs where we never even spoke to the other bands (chalk and cheese bills), constantly being told to turn down the amps, not being able to see the crowd for strobing lights and smoke, and when you do see their faces they are staring coldly at you with a "come on impress us" type look (who all shit their pants when their fucking awful friends band hit the stage), I lost all interest....tbh I can't think of anything I'd rather do less now....

Nice self-contradiction in there.

That post reads like it was written by two different people.

Nope, I can see exactly where he's coming from - I think 'da scene' up here has changed quite a lot over the past 8-10 years and some of the energy about local gigs and a sense of occasion/communion/etc has been swallowed up in the translation, and there are too many underdeveloped bands playing piss poor gigs in too many venues with not all that many people coming through the door. For me, playing in front of the same pocketful of people in the same old places with no fun and no money became downright depressing after a while.

With a handful of exceptions, it is really quite dire at this level just now.

:down:

Guest idol_wild
Nope, I can see exactly where he's coming from - I think 'da scene' up here has changed quite a lot over the past 8-10 years and some of the energy about local gigs and a sense of occasion/communion/etc has been swallowed up in the translation, and there are too many underdeveloped bands playing piss poor gigs in too many venues with not all that many people coming through the door. For me, playing in front of the same pocketful of people in the same old places with no fun and no money became downright depressing after a while.

He completely contradicts himself. That's the point.

He needs to make his mind up just exactly what happened when he "started playing gigs". He gives two different historys there, thus making his point a bit invalid.

Also, he outwardly states that musicianship didn't feature in his gig-playing ethos in any way. Perhaps that's why 'da scene' (sic) is in such a dire state - bands are more interested in being as loud as fuck and getting pissed as fuck.

Seems pretty simple to me; improve your band. 8-10 years ago, The Needles were pretty much the only forward-thinking local band; they seemed intent on bettering themselves. Over the last couple of years, MMW, Copy Haho, Edgar Prais, The Xcerts, Le Reno Amps, plus I'm sure plenty of others have displayed some drive and ambition and have all received a moderate level of 'success' outwith this city.

So while some people might hark back to the 'good old days' of a close-knit scene and well-attended local shows, I'm going to continue enjoying following the progress of some shit-hot local bands intent on bigger and better things.

He needs to make his mind up just exactly what happened when he "started playing gigs". He gives two different historys there, thus making his point a bit invalid.

Also, he outwardly states that musicianship didn't feature in his gig-playing ethos in any way. Perhaps that's why 'da scene' (sic) is in such a dire state - bands are more interested in being as loud as fuck and getting pissed as fuck.

It comes across more as a change of his feelings rather than a contradiction: pre internet age, you had to be far more proactive and there was an emphasis on actually contacting and getting to know people, it was a totally different approach to live gigging/touring/etc than how things work nowadays.....

Disagree. In the first paragraph he was talking about when he started playing and how much better it was. In the second paragraph he was talking about when the scene changed and they were playing with bands that didn't speak ("When I started playing gigs where we never even spoke to the other bands" - where is the important word in there), and things were getting shit so that's when he decided to quit.

That's how I read it anyway.

Guest idol_wild
Disagree. In the first paragraph he was talking about when he started playing and how much better it was. In the second paragraph he was talking about when the scene changed and they were playing with bands that didn't speak ("When I started playing gigs where we never even spoke to the other bands" - where is the important word in there), and things were getting shit so that's when he decided to quit.

That's how I read it anyway.

Ah right, I getcha. And him. The second point of my post that you quoted still completely stands, however.